Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Decoding Road Signs in Moovile

Post by Quandary » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Hey folks,

I've been adding road signs where I can to map out the network of roads that have been built so far and (for the most part) where they go. The signs might seem a bit cryptic, but there is a method to the madness.

Signs are placed, where possible...
- On a corner
- So that facing the sign (to read it) is the same direction as you'd keep walking to take the road

Not all locations supported this signing methodology. In those cases, the sign will be placed on a non-corner space, and you'll need to do some direction finding (F3) to determine exactly which way to go.

Signs are always of the format:

[road]{dangerous}{walking room}{rail type}-{direction} to {x coord},{z coord} {destination name, ...}

Where...

{dangerous} is an exclamation point (!) if the road is exposed to mobs. If there is no exclamation point, assume the road is safe.

{walking room} is either P for person-sized (1 wide by 2 tall or bigger), or H for horse- or hopping-sized (2 wide by 3 tall or bigger). If neither P nor H are present, the road is rail-only and cannot be walked.

{rail type} is either T for train/tracks, or S for "subway." The former can have mobs wander onto the tracks (the tracks are unprotected), whereas the latter has a half-slab lid 1.5 blocks above the track and either blocks or half-slabs on either side of the railway to prevent mobs getting onto the track. If no T or S is present, the road does not have tracks laid on it.

{direction} is straightforward -- either N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, or NW, indicating the general direction the road goes in.

{x coord} and {y coord} are the destination of the road. This is used to help plot courses on the map, and link up one [road] marker to the next [road] marker.

{destination name} is the big place or places the road leads to. If the road goes to more than one place, they should be listed in the order you will arrive at them.

So, when confronted with the sign "[road]HS-SE to 360,380 ADevilishPotato & Quandary" we can decode it to mean that this is a horse-sized path with a covered rail line, travels in a south-easternly direction, terminates at 360,380 (or at least has a corresponding sign at those coordinates), and should be taken if you want to go to ADevilishPotato's and Quandary's place.

Similarly, the sign "!H-W to -531,31 Mesa" means that the road is an unsafe walking/horseback path (no rails) leading to a Mesa biome.

Feel free to ping me with questions, comments, feedback, requests to sign more roads, requests to take down signs that were put up as part of this project, and so forth.

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Decoding Road Signs in Moovile

Post by ADevilishPotato » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm

lol, well, so that is what all this crazy ive seen you doing is all about.
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:30 am

I like the idea but I'm gonna need a cheat sheet to remember it!

Will theses signs show up on the map, I don't see any right now?

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 am

Nice work. :D
Flash wrote:Will theses signs show up on the map, I don't see any right now?
Look in the Nether. They show up as a compass icon.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:15 am

Stevo wrote:Look in the Nether. They show up as a compass icon.
Ah OK, I was looking in the overworld!

Quandary
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Quandary » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Flash wrote:
Stevo wrote:Look in the Nether. They show up as a compass icon.
Ah OK, I was looking in the overworld!
Are there any roads you'd like me to mark in the overworld? I've at least tried to make sure portals are marked on both sides, and generally expect folks to travel via the nether, but I'd be happy to sign up any overworld roads that have been constructed if you can get me in their general vicinity. :)