For the denizens of the Minecraft servers
John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

TV5 Reset?

Post by John Doe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:25 pm

Good day all, when we reset TV5 in February we had talked about the idea of shorter reset cycles for the server and we thought 6 months would be a good choice.

I didnt want to bring this to the table at the 6 month mark as the FTB server had just been reset, but were going to hit the 7 month mark at the end of September so it seems to be a good time to start a conversation.

Another reason we chose to not rush into a reset was that several people and/or groups still had projects that they were actively working on, but I have not seen those people on in several months.

I'm not on the server all that much lately but I do check to see who is on whenever I check the Ville Portal and usually the server is empty. I am not sure if there is a server log that Stevo can see that could tell us how many hours people have been on in the past month, or who those people might be but that could help us make a decision on a reset.

How does everyone feel about a reset in the next few weeks?

JD

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: TV5 Reset?

Post by LadeeeDuke » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:52 pm

I believe the LadeeeClan are fine with a reset at this time. If others would rather wait, we are fine with that too.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:06 pm

I say reset it.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:01 pm

I vote for a reset towards the end of October. Right now FTB is pretty active, and I'd like to try to avoid competition between the servers.

From my perspective, we would ideally reset a server every three months, but alternate between FTB and Vanilla. So, we would have either FTB or Vanilla resetting every three months, but individually, they would each be resetting every 6 months. Unfortunately, FTB was longer on its last reset, so I think Vanilla needs to wait a bit longer for FTB to catch up.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:54 am

I think we're at the point that there isn't much reason to wait.

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:29 am

Reset.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:38 pm

The reason we would wait is to avoid splitting the player base. FTB is still quite active, and if we reset Vanilla now there will be players (myself included) who are torn between the servers. I'm don't think I have time to commit to both servers, and I'm not really ready to abandon FTB yet. If we reset Vanilla now, it will force players to decide between the two, which I don't want.

If we delay the Vanilla reset until FTB dies down a bit more, people can seamlessly move over to Vanilla.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:05 am

Valid point, but how many players do we have who only play Vanilla vs. how many play both? For vanilla-only players, waiting to reset simply because of FTB doesn't make much sense either.

Elanor The Fair
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Elanor The Fair » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:50 pm

Yeah, I think it'd be fine to reset it. Ladeeclan hasn't been on much due to school. We did have a project we were going to start work on, but because it was a bigger project, we decided to wait on it until the reset so we could have time to finish and enjoy it.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:34 am

Flash wrote:Valid point, but how many players do we have who only play Vanilla vs. how many play both? For vanilla-only players, waiting to reset simply because of FTB doesn't make much sense either.
I would tend to agree with Flash, I dont think those that play on FTB would be drawn away from FTB and all the things that make it so different from Vanilla.

I would suggest the we look at a TV5 reset for October 1st.

JD

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:40 pm

John Doe wrote:I dont think those that play on FTB would be drawn away from FTB and all the things that make it so different from Vanilla.
For at least one person (me), it would do one of two things:
1. Draw me away from FTB to play Vanilla, thus contributing to an early demise of the FTB server.
2. Delay start on Vanilla, thus reducing the initial "Full server" impact of a reset on Vanilla.

I'm not sure at this point which of these it would do, but I will say it's very unlikely that I play both at the same time.

I accept that it seems decided that a Vanilla reset will happen in the very near future, and that people are eager it because it has been a long time since the last reset on the Vanilla server, but I think we need to coordinate the timing of the resets better to make sure this doesn't happen so much in the future.

Can I suggest that we, right now, schedule an FTB reset in early January so that it is sufficiently far apart from the Vanilla 6-month schedule?

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:35 pm

I like that idea B and B, FTB in January (3 months from now) or perhaps sooner if needed?

JD

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 pm

John Doe wrote:I like that idea B and B, FTB in January (3 months from now) or perhaps sooner if needed?

JD
I agree this is a good plan, any thoughts Boss Llama?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Most FTB players play Vanilla as well, though not the other way around.

I'm cool with alternating resets. I dunno about an exact date yet, but keeping them separated and alternating seems like a good call to me - somewhere at the beginning of the new year does make sense.
-Boss Llama

FaithOfOne
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by FaithOfOne » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:25 pm

This sounds like a wonderful idea. Especially now with the Exploration Update (1.11) coming out for Vanilla Minecraft.