black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: FTB: Building in a Mystcraft realm

Post by black_and_blue » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

I do have to admit, I am getting kind of scared about the idea of having all my main structures, mining, etc. in a mystcraft realm. The idea of spending multiple months building stuff and then finding that there is some bug or instability that could cause me to lose it is quite scary.

Also, Boss mentioned that tesseracting between dimensions could be problematic. There's a strong probability that I'm going to want to do a Nether quary at some point, which would mean that I would be doing just that - tesseracting stuff from the Nether into a Mystcraft realm. I'm assuming it would be less problematic to tesseract it from the Nether to the Overworld.

Just how confident are we that we can make a realm that's like the overworld in every way that matters, has absolutely no instability, and that it won't have serious glitches?

And just how big a problem is it likely to be if I have dimensional anchers in both a Mystcraft realm and the Nether?

In any case, regardless of whether I decide to do my main building in a Mystcraft realm or in the Overworld, I will of course give any pages I find to you, Guardian.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:01 pm

So I have some Bad news and some Good news after I played around with Mystcraft for a bit. Mystcraft has once again rebalanced how instability is added in relation to ores and it has made things even more confusing, frustrating and hard then they already were.

From what I've gathered stability is now somewhat determined by blocks in the world. The more ores and "accessibility" to those ores (i.e. how many underground features you have), the more instability your world will generate. If you just use a single biome or 3 regular biomes, this essentially translates into it being very hard to add more then one underground feature without having an ugly on surface potion effect. From my experience it's incredibly touchy.

However the Good news is... I already figured out how to get around it 8) .

Basically just use an Ocean Biome page, preferably Deep Ocean. This cuts a massive chunk of the less valuable surface ores from the world making it so Mystcraft detects less ores and thus you get more stability. If you use it and 2 of the biomes you want in the world your building, you can sacrifice 1/3 of your world's surface area for more underground features and ores.

Either way BnB, I highly recommend testing the world combination you plan on making in creative before doing it on the server. I know it's a pain but it helps you spot instability problems BEFORE Boss Llama kills you because you made 5 junk worlds in a row :P.

EDIT:
black_and_blue wrote:
Just how confident are we that we can make a realm that's like the overworld in every way that matters, has absolutely no instability, and that it won't have serious glitches?
IF you do it right and get a good symbol combination you have about aaaaa 90% chance of getting a nice stable healthy world. It's getting it right which is the hard part, which is why I recommend testing in creative first.

Also instability are usually incredibly obvious if your in a realm for a while. The scariest instabilities like World Devouring Black Decay only appear if you get greedy or screw up badly, you mainly have to fight potion effect on being exposed to the sun light instabilities when your making an age which are more annoying then game ending

EDIT2:

So I chatted with Black and Blue and I don't think we're settling in Mystcraft realms anymore. There's just too much work and risk for too little benefit now. The end-game of Mystcraft still looks awesome but Biomes-a-plenty and 1.7 biomes kinda killed the main reason I went straight to a mystcraft realm last time, 1.6 vanilla biomes are boring....

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:04 am

Boss Llama wrote: I may selectively remove one or two items, like the Angel Ring, but otherwise will try to leave things pretty much unlimited. We'll see how it goes!
It's a shame the recipe for that ring is maybe a bit too easy for what it provides. I've always missed the flying ring from the original Tekkit mod as the jet packs with the modular power suits are a bit clunky. I'd be happy if the ring wasn't disabled, but I can understand why you want to do it.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:40 am

Yeah - creative-mode flight is just a bit OP seeming, but it does apparently consume food rapidly, so I dunno. I'll hack it in on an SP and test how rapidly it drains. If it's fast enough to be an actual balancing feature, I could leave it in, but that whole Extra Utilities pack is generally designed to remove reasonable challenges from the game, so I eye most of it with suspicion.
-Boss Llama

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:11 pm

Any excuse to consume vast amounts of meat ingots is good for me!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Guardian wrote:So I chatted with Black and Blue and I don't think we're settling in Mystcraft realms anymore. There's just too much work and risk for too little benefit now. The end-game of Mystcraft still looks awesome but Biomes-a-plenty and 1.7 biomes kinda killed the main reason I went straight to a mystcraft realm last time, 1.6 vanilla biomes are boring....
Sounds reasonable. We can still work together and perhaps a bit down the road, when we've all had a chance to explore and raid some village libraries and such, we can put together our pages and see if you're able to create a stable realm to explore. The overworld is definitely wild looking now - far more so than any Mystcraft realm I've ever seen!
MasterChef wrote:Any excuse to consume vast amounts of meat ingots is good for me!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since we'll have Twilight Forest installed, maybe you can move in to meef, or even meef stroganoff!
-Boss Llama