Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Tekkit server resetting as Feed The Beast, Friday the 21st

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:13 am

Howdy all!

Chef brought up restarting the Tekkit server, which seems like it would be a good thing, since it doesn't exactly get much traffic presently. I'm down with doing so, and hopefully some of ya'll are too.

When would be a good time for this? Are folks still interested in Tekkit? Let me hear it.

-EDIT-

Link to the reset data: LINK HERE!
-Boss Llama

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Tekkit server restart date

Post by MasterChef » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:57 am

I'd love to reset it. I don't have a preferred date, so anytime soon would be cool with me.

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:22 am

Today is good. Or soon.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:57 pm

I wouldn't object. When and if we do, I intend to do as much of my primary building as possible in a non-overworld (but overwold-like) mystcraft dimension.

Are we still on the latest version, or is there a later version we can upgrade to when resetting it?

It would also be nice if we could have something that's MC 1.7 based (realising 1.8 is almost certainly impossible). Is there something tekkit-like that is 1.7 complient that we could try out instead? I'm seein this:
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/the-1710-pack.453902

I can see that it includes the latest version of the most of the mods that I am familiar with (Buildcraft, Thermal Expansion, Galacticraft, Powersuits, Mystcraft, Applied Energistics 2, Big Reactors, etc), although I don't know anything about it so I can't speak much for its balance or stability.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 pm

The server is currently on the most up-to-date version available to us from our providers. We have all the official Technic packs available, but there is no official Technic pack that uses a more recent version of MC than 1.6.4 - that 1710 pack and others like it are custom set-ups other folks have put together, and may or may not have the support and error-checking (such as it is) of the official packs. I'm also a little concerned that that pack has well over double the number of individual mods installed as Tekkit does - the server chugs a bit with the 62 we've got, I don't know if it would handle 147.

Technic packs available from our provider without a lot of shenanigans that I'm not sure if I can properly pull-off are:

Attack of the B Team - A "mad science" themed pack, specifically designed to be bizarre and wacky (based on 1.6.4)
Big Dig - Similar to normal Tekkit, but with stupidly large ore veins and such for the specific purpose of removing "mining" as a major game activity (based on 1.5.2)
Hexxit - An adventure-style mod themed off oldschool Dungeons & Dragons dungeon crawling (based on 1.5.2)
Test Pack Please Ignore - A Reddit-assembled pack that includes lots of mods, including GregTech, which was made to make machinery much much harder to obtain (based on 1.6.4)
Tekkit - What we're all familiar with most recently (based on 1.6.4)
Tekkit Classic - If you remember the first Tekkit server we had, it'd be a lot like this one (based on 1.2.5)
Tekkit Lite - The step between Classic and current Tekkit, Lite loses EE2, RailCraft, and Optifine, and gets TE, MFR, and a buncha other stuff we're familiar with in its place (based on 1.4.7)
Voltz - A modpack based specifically on the UE power system, and focusing almost exclusively on the technology side of things (based on 1.5.2)

Now, if we wanted to go to 1.7.10, we could also roll around to a Feed The Beast server instead of a Technic server. I've got FTB Infinity available as recently as version 1.8.2, which does (I believe) operate with MC 1.7.10. FTB packs do NOT, however, include Galacticraft or Power Suits, two of the most popular mods for us (as far as I can see). Not all the technic packs have both of these either (especially the somewhat esoteric ones), but they're there for the main packs. FTB Infinity is also very server intensive.
-Boss Llama

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:30 pm

Boss Llama wrote:FTB packs do NOT, however, include Galacticraft or Power Suits, two of the most popular mods for us (as far as I can see).
Which FTB pack are you referring to? I see at least one that does include Galacticraft here: http://ftbwiki.org/Feed_The_Beast_Horizons:_Daybreaker.

That said, as you mentioned, it doesn't seem to include Powersuits, and there are quite a few others missing, including, of all things, Buildcraft.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:36 am

FTB Infinity seems fairly awesome, but I can understand if we decide not to go there because of the server.

I think just about every other mod pack has something new that I'd love to try out and then something missing that I wouldn't want to do with out. I can get over not having Galacticraft, it's a neat goal getting to the moon/mars. But after that, there isn't much else to do. While I could live without Power Suits, it is very satisfying when you can put all the effort into having a fully upgraded suit.

Attack of the B Team: Seems like a load of fun, but it is missing Applied Energetics. I love being able to set up an ME network for all my storage needs and would really miss having that. But it has Archimedes Ships and Biomes O Plenty which are two mods I've always wanted to try out.

Big Dig: May be a bit too easy?

Hexxit: Looks fairly interesting and that it would make exploring fun. But, I think I'd prefer a more machine based mod.

Test Pack Please Ignore: A lot of cool stuff, but GregTech does look like it is overly complicated.

Overall the main thing I'd want is the same Tekkit as before, but with Biomes O' Plenty. The Vanilla MC biomes are a bit bland at this point, and I'd really love to have new options for where to set up the latest Failtress.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:02 pm

black_and_blue wrote:Which FTB pack are you referring to? I see at least one that does include Galacticraft here: http://ftbwiki.org/Feed_The_Beast_Horizons:_Daybreaker.
That's odd - the official grid reference does not include it in Daybreaker. It must be a recent addition. Checking more fully, I do see that some FTB packs do have MPS and Galacticraft - I guess they were just missing from the all the ones I initially checked!

At any rate, the modpacks I personally would consider “required” for the server, and that people (including myself) would be very unhappy without are, in alphabetical order:

Additional Buildcraft Pipes/Objects (Advanced pipes used for routing stuff)
Applied Energistics (ME systems)
Buildcraft (Quarries, basic pipes, pumps)
Iron chests (Storage)
MineFactory Reloaded (Farming and agriculture)
Modular Power Suits (Power suits)
Mystcraft (Alternate worlds)
Not Enough Items (Recipe system and inventory management)
Rei's Minimap or one of its equivalents like JourneyMap, VoxelMap, or others (Mapping)
Thermal Expansion (Machines, energy cells, and power)

The modpacks I think would be really nice to have, but we could survive without, are:

Big Reactors (Nuclear power systems) These are really nice power systems to have, but not strictly necessary.
Galacticraft (Space) I really like space, but this does cause some compatibility issues, and I’d be willing to drop it if we can get the rest.
Treecapitator (Felling trees) Lack of treecapitator makes me cry. It isn’t a deal-breaker though.

Chef’s suggestion of Biomes O Plenty looks like a good one.

------------

Looking over all the various FTB packs and Technic packs available from our provider, the following look like the top options, depending on what we want to prioritize:

Technic Packs, launched with the same launcher as Tekkit before:

Tekkit - The same one we've been using. It is based on 1.6.4, and has everything above except Biomes O Plenty.
Test Pack Please Ignore - Also based on 1.6.4, it adds Biomes O Plenty in exchange for losing Galacticraft and Treecapitator. It also includes a great many more mods, including GregTech, which renders almost everything harder to do. It may be possible for me to disable GregTech specifically while retaining the rest, but much of what I'm seeing says that to do that, every player would have to manually modify their configs as well.

Feed the Beast packs, launched with a different launcher we'd all need to download:

Feed The Beast: Monster - The most heavy-weight FTB pack, based on 1.6.4, and containing an insane number of mods (though not Galacticraft or Treecapitator). Possibly super confusing, but lots and lots of options. I have no idea if our server could survive running this. Includes both IC2e and TE - beware incompatibilities between identically-functioning machines!
Feed The Beast: Infinity - If we have to go to 1.7.10, this is probably the one to use. It is missing Power Suits, Additional Buildcraft Pipes, Galacticraft, and Treecapitator, but it's more inclusive than the rest of the 1.7.10s I can find. Includes both IC2 and TE - beware incompatibilities between identically-functioning machines! Also, the version of Applied Energistics is different - it does allow ME systems, but in a less useful manner – cables are far more restricted, allowing only limited items, and you need additional components and space to handle big systems like we all usually do.
-Boss Llama

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:51 pm

From my perspective, the only reason to move off Tekkit is to go to 1.7.10, so I see this as a choice between Tekkit and FTB: Infinity.

I don't consider the change to a different launcher to be a big deal assuming the FTB launcher isn't significantly more complicated than the Tekkit launcher. That said, the loss of the mods Boss mentioned will hurt a lot, so I would completely understand if we decided to stay with Tekkit.

Honestly, one of the main drivers (although not the only one) for my wanting to go with a 1.7 based modpack was that I wanted Galacticraft 3. Since FTB: Infitity doesn't include Galacticraft, it loses much (but not all) of its appeal.

I would be happy with either one.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:09 pm

I wouldn't mind a FTB server as long as I get my Mystcraft, I could even lose power suits since they're kind OP....

Speaking of which if you want to go into an alternative realm black and blue do you want to work with me to get a decent initial set of starting symbols so we can find pleasant realms to live in? Getting the initial symbols you need to make a good realm can take a while and it would be a lot faster if we shared symbols rather then working apart.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Yeah... Galacticraft has been pushing more and more towards being stand-alone, and has been making itself a bit challenging to integrate with other mods. Of the FTB 1.7.10 packs, only "Departed" (which is missing 11 of the other 13 mods mentioned above) has it, and apparently maybe Daybreaker (which, if it has it, is still missing 9 of the others). It's a bit of a bummer, to be sure.

This is the link to the general grid of what mods are in what official FTB 1.7.10 packs (keeping in mind that "Unstable" is exactly that - a test platform not meant for use). The only other one besides Infinity that appears to contain most of what we need is the DireWolf20 pack, which unfortunately has really jacked up resource generation and is subject to changes at the whim of the YouTuber for whom the pack is named (who apparently changes the pack for each "season" of his series).

Technic doesn't have so convenient a grid to compare, but I did make one in Excel of the mods mentioned above. There isn't a 1.7.10 compatible "official" Technic pack as yet, but there are three 1.6.4 packs. B-team is completely lacking, with standard Tekkit and TPPI as listed above.

When I'm on my home computer instead of my little work laptop, I'll take a look and see if there is a way to add Biomes O Plenty to a standard Tekkit install without goofing things up. Theoretically it shouldn't be too bad, but I can't claim to be a skilled server op, so who knows! If that's possible, I may try to activate BOP on a standard Tekkit world, which should give us lots of new stuff to explore and use without losing the stuff we're used to.
-Boss Llama

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:34 am

Boss Llama wrote:
When I'm on my home computer instead of my little work laptop, I'll take a look and see if there is a way to add Biomes O Plenty to a standard Tekkit install without goofing things up. Theoretically it shouldn't be too bad, but I can't claim to be a skilled server op, so who knows! If that's possible, I may try to activate BOP on a standard Tekkit world, which should give us lots of new stuff to explore and use without losing the stuff we're used to.
I just tried it with my install and it seemed to work but I'm not sure about the server side of things.

Worst comes to worst I can live without having the biomes if it is too much trouble.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:40 am

Boss Llama wrote:Yeah... Galacticraft has been pushing more and more towards being stand-alone, and has been making itself a bit challenging to integrate with other mods. Of the FTB 1.7.10 packs, only "Departed" (which is missing 11 of the other 13 mods mentioned above) has it, and apparently maybe Daybreaker (which, if it has it, is still missing 9 of the others). It's a bit of a bummer, to be sure.

This is the link to the general grid of what mods are in what official FTB 1.7.10 packs (keeping in mind that "Unstable" is exactly that - a test platform not meant for use). The only other one besides Infinity that appears to contain most of what we need is the DireWolf20 pack, which unfortunately has really jacked up resource generation and is subject to changes at the whim of the YouTuber for whom the pack is named (who apparently changes the pack for each "season" of his series).

Technic doesn't have so convenient a grid to compare, but I did make one in Excel of the mods mentioned above. There isn't a 1.7.10 compatible "official" Technic pack as yet, but there are three 1.6.4 packs. B-team is completely lacking, with standard Tekkit and TPPI as listed above.

Feed the Beast infinity and the Direwolf20 pack sound good to me. I know everyone likes Galacticraft but I think switching gears to a new pack with most of our favorites is a better call then just upgrading Tekkit.

Though I'm not sure how hard it'll be to run these though since I remember Feed the beast wasn't cooperating with us earlier when we tried to use it.

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:04 am

Guardian wrote:
Feed the Beast infinity and the Direwolf20 pack sound good to me. I know everyone likes Galacticraft but I think switching gears to a new pack with most of our favorites is a better call then just upgrading Tekkit.

Though I'm not sure how hard it'll be to run these though since I remember Feed the beast wasn't cooperating with us earlier when we tried to use it.
I think I'd lean more towards the Direwold20 pack since it has the power suits and most of the other mods we had before.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:12 am

I wouldn't have any problem with Direwold20.