black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

What constitutes cheating?

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:29 pm

So, I'm playing Galacticraft single player (no other mods) and just crashed my luner lander and died. Respawned on the Moon, and now I'm trapped there because my rocket blew up when I crashed.

Just wanting people's opinion: If I changed the config (via config files, not console commands) to force overworld respawn, do people think that would constitute cheating? If not, would I be obligated to leave this configuration in place permanently afterwords to avoid calling it cheating?

Arguments:
  • It's cheating no matter what, because in a pure game, configuration should be set before one starts, and one doesn't get to change the configuration later.
  • It's not cheating provided that I leaving the configuraiton in place permanently afterwords. It's the first time I've died on the moon, so it would sort of be as if that configuration were in place from the beginning.
  • It's not cheating even if I change the option back afterwords because, based on materials found on the internet, this option was added specifically to help people who are stranded on the moon or other planets. Even if I do force an overworld respawn, it will still be a significant loss because I will still have to build a whole new rocket, space suit, and other materials to get back to the moon.
In any case, regardless of whether it's cheating, one can't live on the moon forever, so I am now faced with a decision of whether to use this option or declare game over.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: What constitutes cheating?

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:16 pm

In any case, this is a purely academic exercise. Regardless of whether it is cheating, I succumbed to the tempation and set the configuration option to force overword respawning.

If it's truely intended that someone be stranded on the moon permanently and have to completely start over just because they didn't press space when landing on the moon (or maybe forgot some critical supply), that's way too harsh and somewhat contradictory to the spirit of respawning in Minecraft. Generally in Minecraft, the most that you ever lose (except in hardcore mode) is all the stuff you're carrying. If the rules are that your game is over if you don't have the supplies to get back from the moon, I'm changing the rules.
8)

Regardless, I'd still like to know what people think about this.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Your a Haxor of the worst kind BnB !!!!

JK! If your trapped, I think its a flaw in the game unless they want to force you to start over, which some sadistic programmers no doubt have on their minds.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:23 pm

My mindset tends to be that what you do in single-player games is your own business. Giving yourself an advantage in a multiplayer game via mods and external tools, such as wallhacks, aimbots, etc., is downright dirty; but if you're on your own, and you have the means to do so, go ahead and tweak your game to your liking (but don't blame the devs if your modifications break something important - that's on you!).

You've reached an unwinnable state from the sound of things. It could be either a flaw in the design or a deliberate but unclear lose condition. Unless you're competing with someone else to reach some single-player goal first or something, the only reason not to change your settings is personal preference.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:55 pm

Potato would ban you.

:P
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:40 pm

YoullNeverWalkAlone wrote:Potato would ban you.

:P

No, he wouldnt. He banned himself in June and hasnt been able to get onto the servers.

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Single player is your world and you make the rules, so if you do something it's not cheating.

I play single player pretty much every day and my main rule is to have fun. If it's just silly repetitive work, I'll take a shortcut. My worlds are played about 80% survival, 20% creative.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:36 am

As others have said, so long as you're not in some kind of competition, or showing off the results publicly as if they were unmodified, there's nothing wrong with what you did. It is the accepted way of returning from a moon-stranding in stand-alone Galacticraft. It is a major issue that seems to get a fair amount of discussion on forums, because even if you had landed successfully, you're still stranded if you didn't bring with you a fuel loader, fuel, launch system, and power to juice your rocket back up for a return trip. It's not so big a deal in Tekkit, because with dimension doors around, you can escape from the moon via a d-door back to the overworld (something I've done myself in the past!).
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Honestly if it's a single player world who cares? Whatever you find fun.

Last time I checked dieing repeatedly on the moon isn't fun so who cares if you had to use console commands to get back to your single player experience.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:54 pm

There seems to be a lot of "It's OK as long as it's single player" being said here, so let's make this hypothetical.

If we had a Ville Galacticraft server and we managed to get into a situation where everyone was stranded on the Moon, so having someone else rescue you was out of the question, would we:
1) Update the configuration so that people could respawn on the Overworld or move someone back to the overworld in some other manner?
or 2) Reset the server?

Of course, this really is extremely hypothetical, because the odds of having everyone stranded on the moon in a multiplayer game would be very, very small, and one could argue that if we really managed to do that, we deserve to have to reset the server.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 pm

The even smaller likelihood would be having a Ville Galacticraft server, with no other mods that take care of that glaring omission.

But in all seriousness, we'd probably just have that config set from the beginning to avoid the situation.

If we're assuming we both have such a server, and didn't set the config correctly, we'd probably just change it and wonder why we didn't do so in the first place.
-Boss Llama

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:22 am

I think the Kilaaks would invade once we were all trapped on the moon ;-D

MasterChef
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MasterChef » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:57 am

*Hijacks thread*

Can we reset the Tekkit server in the near future? I've been kind of getting the itch to play it again.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:12 am

MasterChef wrote:*Hijacks thread*

Can we reset the Tekkit server in the near future? I've been kind of getting the itch to play it again.

Yeah - absolutely. I've been pondering this a bit too. I'll start up a thread.

Thread link: Here!
-Boss Llama