Tekkit: Raid on the Dense Ore realm I made a while ago

For the denizens of the Minecraft servers
Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Tekkit: Raid on the Dense Ore realm I made a while ago

Post by Guardian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:56 pm

So recently I've been working on a system that can process a lot of blocks coming from super quarries at the same time when only a tesserack and quarry are needed to set up a super quarry as opposed to my bulkier design and I wanted to test it on my dense ore realm.

So I take this as a good opportunity to finally set up a stable connection to that realm (one that doesn't make you drop all your items on entering) and to finally adventure in that realm. It should be noted that meteors constantly fall in this realm, making it necessary to constantly be moving, until you can establish a hardened glass or obsideon roof.

Essentially it's just a short adventure of a reset to zero until we can get an ender chest/backpack to get a linking book and our super suits into the realm. The realm itself has Nether Fortresses so there's all the material in the realm required to make an ender chest.

Let me know if your in and we can establish a time we can run in sometime on the weekend.

EDIT: O ya I forgot to mention meteors constantly fall from the sky in this realm..... kinda makes things interesting.

EDIT2: So due to the fact that it's relatively impractical to have any sort of permanent settlement on this realm and lack of interest, I'm going to cancel this event I guess and just put the stable link in the library.
Last edited by Guardian on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Tekkit: Raid on the Dense Ore realm I made a while ago

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:08 pm

One thing about that realm - staying in any one place too long, even under ground, will end up getting you killed. The meteors come down in great quantity within whatever area has chunks loaded, and will slam repeatedly in to the same spots, digging deeper and deeper. I paid a couple visits to it with my alt account, and while I had no trouble finding my way to the exit from the original entry point, attempting to stay in one place long enough to collect the supplies needed to make a linking book so I could create an entrance resulted in the entire area being utterly pulverized. I built a small house to operate from below 40 meters of solid rock, and within 15 minutes it was kissing the sky. Best to keep moving constantly, because the arrival side of any portal will get hammered out of existence if people hang around it.
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:58 pm

O ya the meteors.... I probably should have mentioned those...

Let me edit that....

Also I think it's impossible to get stuck in a mystcraft realm now since dieing will kick you out of the realm now in my experience.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:06 am

Does hardened glass protect against meteors like it does on the moon?

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:20 am

It SHOULD from my tests obsidian blocks don't get blown up from meteors in my test worlds however explosions can sometimes clip through if the ceiling is too low meaning a nice high ceiling might be required.

EDIT: Also, My current plan when establishing a stable link is to put up a safety hardened glass ceiling as well.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 pm

My suggestions, just to make life easier, would be as follows:

If something is found that can survive those meteors, it'll be necessary to make a pretty large ceiling with it, as well as fairly high. The meteors are lethal at around 20-25 meters away if I recall correctly, and if they don't kill you, have a knack for causing instant system crashes of people nearby (due to the sudden massive block update). If a material can be found that is resistant to the damage, I would probably suggest a double thick roof about 30 meters above a floor of the same material, both extending at least 30 meters in each direction from the portal, walled in, and perhaps an obsidian chest in the center next to the portal with replacement crystal and books in it as a back-up.

It would be wise not to use a chunk loader anywhere in the dimension, as any loaded area of chunks will be constantly bombarded whether players are there or not. Any quarry built would need a similar roof and walls to protect it, as quarries act like chunk loaders and will be destroyed by the meteors. I don't imagine there's much call for quarries there though, as the Deep Dark is already fantastically dense in ores and much safer so long as you have light, so it's probably just an exploration thing.

For exploration, power suits are both a good idea and a bad one at the same time. Good because you're going to want to do all your exploration underground rather than on the surface (where you instantly and unavoidably die from time to time), and the underground is full of mobs and inconvenient cliffs. Bad because you may just die instantly and unavoidably anyway, and you could easily lose the gear. Because of the spontaneous disconnects due to nearby impacts, waypoints get wiped out a lot, so write down your coordinates and make sure the center building is at something easily memorable, like 1,1 near the star fissure or something.

Just some thoughts.
-Boss Llama

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm going to do my own personal tests in this version but I found out that meteors DO destroy everything (including bedrock) in mystcraft ages (my previous tests indicated that obsidian blocks it) which throws the safety roof idea out the window. Instead I could use "generate platform) to form a link above the star fissure so we could have a stablish connection to the realm.

You guys still want to go on an adventure on friday though?

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:29 pm

When I was doing some googling, I was also finding stuff about decay blocks threatening the long term sustainability of dense ore realms. Even if one were to find a way to protect one's self from meteors, it sounds like over the medium term, one's structures would end up being destroyed by decay. Is this the case?

It really seems like dense ore realms are meant to be grab and dash, that any kind of long term building is intended to be infeasible.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:05 pm

black_and_blue wrote:When I was doing some googling, I was also finding stuff about decay blocks threatening the long term sustainability of dense ore realms. Even if one were to find a way to protect one's self from meteors, it sounds like over the medium term, one's structures would end up being destroyed by decay. Is this the case?

It really seems like dense ore realms are meant to be grab and dash, that any kind of long term building is intended to be infeasible.
I checked the world, it doesn't have any decay blocks in it. Decay blocks are scattered in a realm at it's creation when you make it and don't randomly appear afterwords.

Also I just tested Obsideon doesn't block Mystcraft meteors... I'm going to test some alternative ways of blocking the meteors but there goes that plan.

EDIT: Is there anything in Tekkit that can constantly place blocks from a safe distance? So we can have a regenerating shield?