belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: A suggestion regarding Nether Rail

Post by belak » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Would something like this be possible? http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorial ... _Detection

The tripwire solution would allow us to see if a cart has a person in it and possibly stop it if there isn't anyone. So you could jump out and the cart would stop so you could go collect it. Could have these at major nether hubs.

I'm not sure if it's possible to dump minecarts into a chest automagically, but might be able to divert empty ones into a chest if that's possible.

LadeeeDuke
USV Leadership
USV Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by LadeeeDuke » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Inner wrote:Many good thoughts here.

I am not opposed to having the new map closed for a day, while a very small team of admins go in and setup the spawn portal and nether rail hub. In creative mode. Do a very nice job and do nothing else. I nominate Alizee and Gizanked.

The hub is the thing. Once people start building all over the map, their rail systems are kind of up to them.
I like this idea. Partly because USV is thinking of making hub of their own that connects to the main one to minimize so many of the off shooting tunnels on the main hub. Just an idea.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 pm

LadeeeDuke wrote:I like this idea. Partly because USV is thinking of making hub of their own that connects to the main one to minimize so many of the off shooting tunnels on the main hub. Just an idea.
In my initial suggestion, the idea of having a station roughly 150 nether blocks away from the spawn was that people building the the same general direction would come from the same hub. Similar to what you suggest, but based more on building location than on guild affiliation.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Inner wrote:Many good thoughts here.

I am not opposed to having the new map closed for a day, while a very small team of admins go in and setup the spawn portal and nether rail hub. In creative mode. Do a very nice job and do nothing else. I nominate Alizee and Gizanked.

The hub is the thing. Once people start building all over the map, their rail systems are kind of up to them.
While I'm flattered by the suggestion of my inclusion, I'm strongly opposed to this, and would neither do it myself nor play on any server where this happened. Creative mode should not be used under any circumstances ever, except to repair problems caused by a glitch or griefer. If the community desires a spawn hub, let the community build it as part of normal play, with volunteer coordinators and such. If nobody is willing to invest the time, it clearly isn't needed and shouldn't be hacked in using powers. It strongly deincentivizes people to do real work, and diminishes the splendor of legitimately created structures. There was a moderate-sized stink about this a time or two back, involving a number of us leaving/boycotting the server over use of creative mode to establish a hub. I'd rather not see that again!

I would be happy to work as a volunteer organizer for the nether hub provided it is kept 100% legitimate, but there has to be patience. Let folks explore for a day or two and get bases at least planned out before we worry about building a spawn city. People should be given the opportunity to experience the server as it is, and to earn their way from the beginning. I've never been comfortable with the piles of free stuff that end up around spawn, or with the idea that we should build a central city before doing anything else. Easy mode is demeaning.
-Boss Llama

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:04 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:There was a moderate-sized stink about this a time or two back, involving a number of us leaving/boycotting the server over use of creative mode to establish a hub. I'd rather not see that again!
Sorry. Not being around a time or two back, I was unaware of the stink. :oops:

I appreciate your concerns about "free stuff". Certainly you're not the only one who feels that way. I think B&B would not mind me including him in that category too. For myself, I play with what I call the "rich parents" approach. I have no problem with somebody helping me start out with whatever gifts and treasures. After that, I have to make it on my own and pay back to other people along the way. Having "done it from scratch" numerous times on various servers, it no longer holds any particular appeal to me. But, yes, I fully understand that's just me and it does in fact hold much appeal to others. So I'm good with that.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:28 pm

I had a personal goal for the nether rail system once the server reset, I wanted to create a Nether Rail Hub that was somewhat more organized than what we have now on TV5 and that wouldnt be difficult to accomplish.

On the previous rendition of TV5 Taco built a nice railhub, with the Portal on the main level which was left clean and clear of rail tunnels, you then went down a flight of stairs to the rail terminal section and there was room for about 4 tunnels on each wall, people created tunnels to their homes and terminated in this room or joined existing tunnels, and it worked out fairly well.

What I was hoping to do was to have the portal on a central level, with stairs going to an upper and a lower level (Horse friendly everything btw) and the upper and lower levels would have just one tunnel traveling in each of the four directions, say 20 meters or so, not too far, to a larger room which would become the hub for tunnels traveling in that direction. So there would be 4 larger rooms to the east, west, north and south of the main terminal, these larger rooms could accommodate say 6 - 12 tunnels coming in/heading out and if we run out of connections in one of the larger rooms we just head back to the main hub and build out the other level (I mentioned stairs going to an upper and lower level, I figured to develop one then the other).

It might be a waste of time/effort but Id like to take it on if nobody objects.

JD

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Inner wrote:I am not opposed to having the new map closed for a day, while a very small team of admins go in and setup the spawn portal and nether rail hub. In creative mode. Do a very nice job and do nothing else. I nominate Alizee and Gizanked.
Uh oh, can of worms = opened. :o

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:39 pm

yeah...creative anything on the vanilla server is pretty much a no-no for a number of people...

But, that doesn't mean we cant have a few people at the start of the game dedicated to planning. JD sounds like he has the start of something nice, and I would be more than willing to help out establishing the nether hub at the beginning
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Quandary
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Quandary » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:36 am

belak wrote:I'm not sure if it's possible to dump minecarts into a chest automagically, but might be able to divert empty ones into a chest if that's possible.
I don't think it is, which I think half of why mine cart "pez dispensers" were developed (the other half being, you can't get a minecart out of a chest and back onto the rails when somebody wants to depart).

Lots of good station-building info here (including a minecart "pez dispenser" design):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPHAZ6Nqn0

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 am

Quandary wrote:
belak wrote:I'm not sure if it's possible to dump minecarts into a chest automagically, but might be able to divert empty ones into a chest if that's possible.
I don't think it is, which I think half of why mine cart "pez dispensers" were developed (the other half being, you can't get a minecart out of a chest and back onto the rails when somebody wants to depart).
Actually you can do both, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA9PcvGB7QU

Quandary
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Quandary » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Stevo wrote:
Quandary wrote:
Actually you can do both, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA9PcvGB7QU
Well, splendid. I must've been reading from a pre-hopper playbook. Sadly, it doesn't look like you can do both from the same square (placing the cart requires a dispenser underneath the rail, whereas collecting the cart requires a hopper underneath the rail), so the "entrance" and "exit" area would have to be different, but that doesn't seem like a huge deal. Cacti also make me a bit nervous, since they have a tendency to eat your stuff. I can also see this system accidentally eating pennies and gum and anything else you might drop near the track by accident, then trying to spit that stuff up as a "cart" later on. That could be overcome with a sorting system, kicking non-cart things out to a lost-and-found box, but I'm not sure if you'd have the benefit of the lowered footprint and convenience if you built a sorter at each station.

Anyway, an interesting and informative video. :)

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 pm

So, very excited to have a fancy rail hub at the spawn.

That said, I still don't expect that everyone will always start their rails from the spawn, especially those who build farther away. As such, I'd still suggest that people try to build away-from-spawn hubs with medium sized transfer stations on their rails as well.

We've had lots of good suggestions on how to do this, including:
  • End the tracks and start new ones, forcing people to pick up their cart and move it to the next set of tracks.
  • Continue the tracks, but put unpowered power rail down, thus causing minecarts to stop until people push forward.
  • Using fancy detector rail tricks, cause the rail to stop for a few seconds, long enough for those who want to transfer to another rail to pick up their cart.
  • Building two sets of tracks, one being an "express line" with no stops, and a second that does have stops, and people choose which set of tracks they want to use.
That said, in the end, it's just a suggestion. Your rail is your rail, and if you really want to have one single continuous track with no stops, that's your right.

Marf
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: MasterMarf

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:02 am

ADevilishPotato wrote:
Flash wrote:We had stops on the red and blue overland rail lines two maps back (the one with the giant floating KRG skull near spawn). The cart paused at the station for like 2 seconds and if you didn't jump out continued going down the line. This would allow someone to AFK during their long ride.
yeah, now we just need the person who made it to make it again :P
That would be Calculon000. It was called the CalcRail. He even had 2 parallel directional rails to prevent collisions between people riding opposite directions.