Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Texture Pack Project

Post by Fox_Blaze » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:23 am

It is 2 am and I have been stricken with a brilliant idea. So hear me out on this, because maybe this will interest you all too.

I like texture packs. I rarely use them but I always admire the effort and vision of certain notable ones. As an artist, it is a habit I have picked up and it helps me improve and create new ideas for all sorts of things. Anyway, I have gotten to thinking that it would be cool if I were able to make my own texture pack. The process itself is tedious, but well within my ability. So I am confident that I can do it if I can motivate myself to carry through with it.

Now, here is the thing. I have absolutely no clue where to start. I have a few vague ideas, but nothing really to go upon as of time of writing. Yet during the brainstorming process, another idea popped up.

"What if I were to create a topic on the forums, asking if anyone would want to contribute ideas so perhaps I could create a texture pack geared towards our community?"

Something like that, at least. Getting to the point now, I suppose. It is definite that I want to create a texture pack, but I think it would be more fun if those willing to participate would want to create a sort of "Villun Texture Pack". Then, taking the suggestions and ideas I would make tweaks and present prototypes of the progress. :D

What do you all think? Any suggestions?
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Texture Pack Project

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 am

Fantastic idea! Should make the water purple :dance:
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:03 am

This sounds like a great idea, but make sure you draw all the textures. if we have everyone submitting different designs in different styles then the texture pack wont have continuity and will look like a mess.

THE Flying chihuahua
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by THE Flying chihuahua » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 am

I use texture packs a lot, so I am all in favor for this.

I just hope you don't want me to help with texturing beyond rough designs. I suck at art :P

Here is something that might appease everyone. It allows you to be able to customize the texture pack so if we get more ideas for the pack we can have them.
Last edited by THE Flying chihuahua on Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagepeahats made this because he is awesome.
Any semblance of wit is accidental, imagined, or medication related.
Minecraft ID is scatzilla99

unknown
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by unknown » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:56 am

hey, about that purple water, you should actually make it that checkerboard pattern thats black and hot pink/purple that happens with texture glitches in tf2. just sayin, that would be pretty sweet

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Peahats wrote:This sounds like a great idea, but make sure you draw all the textures. if we have everyone submitting different designs in different styles then the texture pack wont have continuity and will look like a mess.
Oh of course. That is what I meant. I would redraw the designs according to ideas suggested or drawn. :D
ADevilishPotato wrote:Fantastic idea! Should make the water purple :dance:

Haha, sure xD

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 pm

I personally have no idea, but I do have an idea. I'm sure it's been done, but i'm a fan of old-school games, like NES era. Minecraft's low-resolution default textures remind me a lot of those older games, and I know Minecraft has given rise to pixel art thanks to the use of a block-based building system. I would love to see more NES-themed textures. Perhaps mushrooms and fire flowers for mushrooms and roses, two-tone green grass blocks (think track-and-field), Mario-style bricks, Castlevania-style cobblestones, Zelda-style dungeon blocks, kirby-style trees, something like that.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by frostdillicus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 pm

I would be happy with a texture pack that uses everything default but makes cobble look better and redstone not look retarded.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:14 pm

This is an awesome idea =D there must be something lumberjack themed in there tho, my request (;
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL:

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:55 pm

All taken into and put into a list. For frost's situation, I will probably post them as a separate smaller texture pack for those who want a few default textures to look a bit better.

I am learning! Maybe I'll have a few little previews in the next few days. :)

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Soup Nazi wrote:This is an awesome idea =D there must be something lumberjack themed in there tho, my request (;
Second!
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:04 pm

I don't use a texture pack, and the main reason for that is that every one I've seen changes the overall feel of the game. They take the blocky, pixelated goodness and try to turn it in to smooth looking, carefully shaded, ornately decorated stuff. That just isn't the game, to me, so I stick with the default.

Were I to use a texture pack, I would want things to look like the same things they do now, just slightly more polished versions - that is to say, I want a wood door to look like a wood door, I want a rose to look like a rose, I want a chicken to look like a chicken, etc.
-Boss Llama

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:I don't use a texture pack, and the main reason for that is that every one I've seen changes the overall feel of the game. They take the blocky, pixelated goodness and try to turn it in to smooth looking, carefully shaded, ornately decorated stuff. That just isn't the game, to me, so I stick with the default.

Were I to use a texture pack, I would want things to look like the same things they do now, just slightly more polished versions - that is to say, I want a wood door to look like a wood door, I want a rose to look like a rose, I want a chicken to look like a chicken, etc.
I am in no way skilled in pixel art, so supremely ornate textures like LP Photorealism is outside my current ability for the most part. What I can do however, are neater and slightly more detailed default texturing. I was leaning towards a "Default" look with the pack but with some alterations with some realism but still has that overall default-ness.

To shorten things, what you have said hits the spot of what my original image was going to be. Although I wanted extra input to put it into some sort of concrete so I can get started :)

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 am

http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_ ... -mengy007/

Wellll, there is this, in terms of awesome-fied version of the default textures. Shoot :P Not like I was terribly surprised. This did start as a "on a whim" idea. I'll try and make it look defaulty, but for the most part I will try and add my own touch to everything.

Soup Nazi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Soup Nazi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Give all the animals pants.
=USV= [BB] [IV] [WARPATH] [USAHB] :TIME: :TOOL: