Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Minecraft papercrafts

Post by Will T. » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 am

After posting this video in the Minecraft Videos thread and building the Creeper seen therein, it got me wondering what other kinds of paper models might be out there featuring Minecraft stuff. After all, everything in the game is cubes - it would transfer to paper constructions really easily.

Google did not disappoint, and showed me some great stuff.

This page has models of most of the mobs, the player, and a lot of the different kinds of blocks.
This page is very bare-bones to look at, but if you look hard, you'll find some really amazing stuff. My favorite page by far is one that lets you generate your own model using a lot of the in-game textures. It's highly confusing at first, but once you figure out the bizarre format (it literally just uses plain-text tables for everything) you can do some interesting things. I've started using it to design a small scene that would take dozens of individually-printed and individually-built blocks otherwise. Also of note is a page that lets you upload your in-game character skin and converts it into a simple model based on the template for the regular Minecraft character.

As far as I can tell, some effort has been made to standardize the scale on all these models. As someone with 3 years' papercraft-building experience though, I warn you that you should never trust your printer to be consistent scale-wise! ;) Just because the images are right doesn't mean the printer will be. (Incidentally, if anyone knows how to guarantee that they will be, let me know - my best guess right now is simply printing the image directly from the browser, but I haven't tried this yet. Most of the models I've done were in PDF form and professionally-produced, meaning loads of parts on each page and painstaking scaling.)

Happy building!