Subway system.

For the denizens of the Minecraft servers

Would you like to have a subway system on Stevo's server?

Yeah, I hate trying to walk above ground.
36%
Sure, but not to my place.
7%
No, I love dodging creepers trying to get places.
9%
I WANT AN AIRPORT!!!
49%

Total votes: 45

[ONU] Prez
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Subway system.

Post by [ONU] Prez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm

So interest has been expressed in a network of subterranean roads.
I'd like to see this built so people can actually go and visit other projects without having to have full diamond armor and 10+ porkchops.
Also this would make it easier to get back to your project if you happen to die.
Basically the Prez department of transportation is ready to start construction but I don't want to interfere with anyone's projects.

Take the poll and post if you have a suggestion, comment, or 500 word essay on why 'subway' is a misnomer.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Subway system.

Post by metacide » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Subway is kind of a neat idea, tho would that fit in with Ali's recreation of the Mall?
Also one of the best parts of above ground transportation networks is seeing the land and all the things that have been built. That's hard to see from 10 blocks down.

TACOBELL
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by TACOBELL » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 pm

i like the idea of an underground system but i think it should be player to player decision to have that... for example me and alizee want an underground railway connecting our place. first we make sure no one elses land is in the way and dont build through their land without permission second we build then see if anyone else wants to connect.

today i asked toby if i can build a bridge across the water from my island to the mainland cause it would touch his place slightly. he agreed now im drawing out plans for a nice looking bridge.

i am against high up skybridges cause it takes away from the skyview for me and looks ugly. a small wooden path on the ground would be more acceptable to me or a small red brick path (though expensive as it may be)
Eat all the tacos!

KajiVena
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by KajiVena » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 pm

I WANT AN AIRPORT!!!

In all seriousness, a subway system would be bomb. I just hope it wouldn't interfere with my planned bridge between my outpost and house. Otherwise, I would love to make a subway exit in the huge desert near my house.

Steam: KajiVena
DeviantArt: Mackinz
Minecraft: Mackinz

KV's One Stop Drop Shop

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 pm

I like the idea of only double wide brick paths above ground(fences on the sides of course).
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:02 pm

metacide wrote:Subway is kind of a neat idea, tho would that fit in with Ali's recreation of the Mall?
Sure. There's a Metro station near the Smithsonian castle.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm in favor of an underground network of paths, yes. I have no interest in surface roads near me as of yet, but would perfectly happy with an underground. The national mall and capitol area is serviced by numerous stations, including one stop (Smithsonian Station) under the mall itself.
-Boss Llama

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:30 pm

I agree to no skyrails or huge roads aboveground (well, connecting ones - if its in your own project, go ahead), at least nearish spawn. A small above ground path, with torches and fences would likely be fine, and I am for a subway.... just be aware that it may end up hitting peoples mines (you can always just have a door going into your mine if it does cut through).

As for a station near me, I prefer to not have the snowy areas altered much, since you cant put snow back, but it could come out near me, or even have an exit to my underground area perhaps... it would take some planning though. Anyway, it may be a moot point, since near me, it depends on the pyramid. I am fine either way though.

KRG
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by KRG » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:19 am

Perhaps branch out from spawn to your own place, then allow everyone else to attach themselves if they choose to. Above ground is ugly, below is far more work and invasive. It's a tough call!

I like packing up gear and heading out walk-aboot, setting up little camps along the way, it's dangerous and fun! :) But the ability to speedily traverse the map is very tempting at times. . .gah. . so torn!
I have a butt and you do too. Let's be friends.

Fraulein Arztin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fraulein Arztin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:40 am

I like this idea. :)
It kinda of sounds like Bikers tunnel..ha. but that wasn't a subway.

Marf
Villun
Villun
Minecraft name: MasterMarf

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Marf » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:13 pm

By subway are we talking just an underground walkway? Or a minecart system? I'd rather not deal with minecarts again until Notch makes a dedicated booster block.

Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Ihmhi » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:44 am

The first server I ever played on had an underground subway and we were fortunate to have an experienced builder leading the project.

Firstly, you need to figure out the path above ground. Using Cartographer or something to get an overlay of the map does help.

Then, you need to dig vertical shafts above ground to mark the turns. Think like putting the dots down for a connect the dots drawing.

Once all that is done, you dig the tunnels from point to point. Usually we did a 3 wide by 3 or 4 high exploratory tunnel to just get the connection going, and then we expanded as necessary. Boats are commonly used for an underground subway because you can use water elevators to get up to the top quickly and with a minimum of space used.

Lastly, it helps if the very bottom of the tunnel floor, one way or another, is at the topmost layer of the bedrock level. This makes sure that even if you do pass underneath someone, you're out of their way.

I'll pay 1 Refined for A Distinctive Lack of Hue and 1 Reclaimed for Mann Co. Orange (All outta items for this week~ :< )

My TF2 Backpack

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 am

I have a nice resume of extensive above and below ground transportation projects involving minecarts, including the new Harriett Tubman to the Mob Spawner near our castle.

Id be for an underground system.
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

TTHREAZ
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TTHREAZ » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 am

BETTEH CROCKHURR wrote:I have a nice resume of extensive above and below ground transportation projects involving minecarts, including the new Harriett Tubman to the Mob Spawner near our castle.
It is quite nice indeed.

tsmitho
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by tsmitho » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am

I might not be the best planner, but if someone comes up with a plan i would love to help dig/blow up a tunnel

| AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition | ATI 5830 | 4GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 | ASUS Board | Liquid Cooled |