Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

*Stevo's Server - Map Change*

Post by Masakari » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:15 pm

After a fair amount of discussion between Stevo and I, we have decided that on Sunday, January 23rd at 5:00AM CST we will be freezing the state of the current map, and generating a new terrain. We do realize that some people may be upset by this, but we believe this is in the best interest of people on the server. That said, with some of the larger projects people are undertaking we do realize you may want to either complete them in single player, or potentially start up your own server and work with other people on those projects from there. With that said, here's how it's going to go down as well as answers to questions you might have:

Why are we doing it?

Many of you may or may not know this, but this map was originally on a server that I hosted locally for myself and a few other people. It's been around for quite a long amount of time, and it's become very large and spread out, which has caused some issues. As well, with the past update adding new items and other things that can only be spawned in newly generated terrain, it's become quite ridiculous to a degree to go out and get them. With more updates coming soon by the sounds of it, it seems like a good time to start fresh.

How is it all going down?

On Sunday morning at the time stated, the server will restart, and save the map file in a compressed archive. Once that's all done, we will leave the server up on the old map for another 24 hours and allow people to have fun with it while they still can. Destroy things, start fires, get out all your pent up rage on various things before you have to start fresh again! Depending on how things go as well, we may even turn PvP on too.

Come Monday morning, we'll set the server to start a new map and regular server rules will apply.

I have a megaproject and I want to keep working on it! WHAT DO I DO?

Before all the destruction starts, the map will be saved. From there, we'll provide a link to it as well as instructions for running it in Single Player. If you do want to run your own server, feel free to ask me for help and I can set you up with it. Note that with single-player, I did notice some weird bugs putting the map in there, so I'd recommend putting everything from your inventory in a chest if you want to guarantee to have it in single player.

As I said before, I know some people will not be a fan of this. I do think a new map allows us to do a bit better planning and organization of everyone's areas and equally encourage some new and exciting projects from you all!
I am the 1%!

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: *Stevo's Server - Map Change*

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Can I get someone to drop a few stacks of dynamite in my base? I won't touch other peoples stuff but I will blow the stuff I built to kingdom come :lol:
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 pm

All the things everyone fears.. We shall produce on our own accord!
Burn Taco Town!
Blow up Atlantis! HUZZAHH

Dog
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:34 pm

You mean the small beach I levelled and someone else built on, will be gone?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Fox_Blaze
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fox_Blaze » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 pm

I want to be there if and when the Notre Dame explodes, or any other large project. Better to go out with a bang than rage forever and a day. It's a game, let's have fun with the death of a great time, as well as the birth of new shenanigans :D
Thanks Nerevarine King for the banner!
TVC '10-Hale's Angels (3rd place)
TVC '11-League of Evil Villuns (2nd place)[/spoiler]

Buzzy Beetle
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Buzzy Beetle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 pm

NO! NOT...

Wait...

Uh...

Huh...

I guess I don't really have anything of my own to lose on there. But I will certainly be there at the creation and exploration of a new world!
I proudly support Independent Developers, Local Businesses, and SNAILGOSH.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 pm

I've got it all planned out. Rog Tower. Gonna fill the central pillar and the spiral staircase with dynamite, as well as the entire observation deck, detonate it from below and watch the explosion gobble the thing from the ground up :D

Thing is, I'm betting the obsidian spiral i put around it would survive :lol:
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:57 pm

I figured this day would come, and I have a lot of TNT. If you would like to see your stuff go out in a blaze of glory, just bring some sand to me and I will make sure all of my remaining sulfur gets turning into TNT.

Also, send me some points and a stack or a few of TNT will be yours :) It goes pretty far if placed strategically.

5,000 points per stack of TNT :lol:
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm

sorry masa... i ment biscuit and marf, now it doesn't mean as much as they are not part of restarting the server, or have anything to do with this...."what about all the goods I have bought from you guys...I gave you guys lots of metal so I could build my big project and now I am not going to build it since we are going to restart the server...this kinda sucks...I gave you guys about 16 scrap metal for obsidian which now will be dissapearing...I am totally down for the new map, and understand the reasons behind doing so, it just feels really lame to give you guys 16ish scrap to put some obsidian in my treasure chest for a week. but i guess, poop happens!"
Last edited by chaffe[seagreens] on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 pm

That would be biscuit who you gave scrap to.....I never saw a piece of that. :P
I am the 1%!

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 pm

That's why I sold TNT it disappears when sued :)
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 pm

While I obviously have a lot to lose from the change, I feel like we've all got more to gain, and am in favor of this change.

It has to happen some time, and sooner rather than later is a good thing. With the map file being saved and made available, we don't lose anything as far as projects and the ability to make youtube vids and such, and it will help by getting rid of a lot of the built up detritus around spawn, from people who longer play there.

Notre Dame will be demolished on Sunday. I'll be intruiged to see how much TNT I need to take it down. Stand-by for demolition!
-Boss Llama

dredfox
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by dredfox » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:00 am

I just got Minecraft a few days ago and have yet to play on any Ville servers. I've been intimidated by the thought of just starting out with all these megaprojects around. Although I'm kind of sad to see all the wonderful creations go, I am happy to be able to take part in the development of new ones.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 am

I only play casually so when TV5 started up I jumped on the chance to start small. Now its a bit crowded and people are developing huge projects, which is awesome, but i like to keep my area simple. I haven't even finished hollowing out my mountain yet.

Ihmhi
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Ihmhi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:20 am

May I offer an alternate option? Walk at the "edge" of the current community to a point where new chunks are being generated. Go for a kilometer or two past it, and set a new spawn point.

It has the same effect without losing anything that exists. A Minecraft map can be about 8 times the surface of the Earth; rather than make a new map, couldn't you just walk down the proverbial block?

I'll pay 1 Refined for A Distinctive Lack of Hue and 1 Reclaimed for Mann Co. Orange (All outta items for this week~ :< )

My TF2 Backpack