Villun
Villun
Blizzard tag: Caelnyn#1343

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

New Rig (yet again)

Post by Chan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:39 am

Throwing my hat in the new rig time pile.
Currently running on a
2.4 celeron
1gig of ddr ram
128 mb AGP gfx card (5 fps in TF2 w00)
160 gig PATA HD

Looking to spend at most 1500.

Wanting to get:
Quad Core 2.4 or better
512 mb gfx card, pci-e 2.0
2-4 gigs of ddr3 ram (Prefer ddr3 but mainly don't know the difference between 2 and 3)
1 tb of storage.

Already have the mouse keyboard and monitor for it. Also, I'm fine with onboard sound if need be.

Gonna look around for a good bit tomorrow and make my purchase sometime soon before the urge to burn through gobs of cash fades.

Thank you for the help btw any tips are apprciated.
<TVB>Chan

nesknowitall
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: New Rig (yet again)

Post by nesknowitall » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:50 am

A quad core will only help you if you are encoding video also DDR3 is not worth it right now, plus no processors (except ones over $1000) support the full speed of DDR3 (1600MHz) So either get a Q6600 or AMDX2 +6400 and DDR2 or wait till a better line of processors come out supporting 1600MHz FSB, plus DDR3 will be cheaper by then.

Graphics card 8800 GT or 9600GT

Other than that stuff most of the rest of your computer won't matter as long as you choose a name brand supporting current technology.
[size=200][color=green] [b]These things we do, that others may live.[/b][/color][/size]

Chan
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Chan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:04 am

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2051
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =P450-9802

Here is two things i've picked out. think I got it all down, gonna post specs in a few hours

Insomnia + Excitement = Finished gaming rig.
<TVB>Chan

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:19 am

Im more of a newegg kinda guy, but heres what i would do... for $1500

I posted the evga 790i, just because i guess, but its $50 cheaper at tiger direct... now if i was you, jump on that processor and quick, it will not be in stock for very long

Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:19 am

that was by far the qucikest build ive ever done btw.... its something else....

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:21 am

nopw i dont know if you need a case, or a heatsink/fan, if so get the Thermaltake Armor case and as for the heatsink and fan... the best are out of stock.... might wanna look at a Zalman 9700 or something.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Chan
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Chan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:33 am

Friend of mine wants copy of what I'm buying hence double of everything but the moniter

Figured I'd spurge a bit with some other things..

Took your advice for most of the parts, id a lot of looking on newegg for th case and all that as well. since that helped out in deciding on this one.
<TVB>Chan

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:37 am

I want a new rig!!!

That looks like an awesome build, Chan! :cooler:
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

nesknowitall
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by nesknowitall » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Looks like you're swaying towards intel, just so you know expect to pay a premium for their parts. They will only give you good bang for buck if you overclock it to the max. otherwise the top end AMD dual core is $150
[size=200][color=green] [b]These things we do, that others may live.[/b][/color][/size]

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Chan... ya know the new Core 2 Quads are out?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

nesknowitall
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by nesknowitall » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:30 pm

[quote="MrBlah";p="82848"]Chan... ya know the new Core 2 Quads are out?[/quote]

Won't affect gaming unless playing some rediculously intense RTS or encoding video.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:41 pm

[quote="nesknowitall";p="82881"][quote="MrBlah";p="82848"]Chan... ya know the new Core 2 Quads are out?[/quote]

Won't affect gaming unless playing some rediculously intense RTS or encoding video.[/quote]

You have to let it go. Blah knows that hardly any programs are multi-threaded above 2-way, but he is a power user and likely uses his spare cores for other things while he games.

Most people will be just fine with 2 cores, but in 2 years time maybe more programs will be n-way multi-threaded and they won't have to upgrade.

Even AMD is abandoning the x2 line and going with x3 and x4's. x3 is a sweet spot right now as you have 2 cores to max out with the 2-way multi-threaded programs (think games that have a separate threads for graphics and physics/ai) and one more core for your background tasks.

In a few years 4-core+ processors will make sense, and no one will be overclocking much, because the fsb memory architecture will be dead. AMD lost MOST of its overclockability when it went to hypertransport and integrated memory controller. Intel will lose its overclockability as well when it follows amd's steps with the quickpath bus and nehalem's integrated memory controller.

In summation: simmer down now. Going fanboy on someone will only seek to drive them further away.
Last edited by Clay Pigeon on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Yahoo!!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Yahoo!! » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:58 pm

These threads make me wonder if there should be a permanent sticky that is updated every month to display something like this:

-Budget Rig $1-$1500
-Dream Rig $1500-$3000
-The Ultimate Rig $3000 and up

and specifications for each one, which would help villuns decide on pc parts.

I would also like to know what are popular outlets to purchase pc parts as well.

Otherwise, there will be continuous demands and threads about new pc and the proverbial "what should I get?"

Oh, on an endnote, I would have an interest in seeing what some of our tech savvy villuns would recommend each month.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:29 am

tis a good idea Yahoo... ill already posted a thread that i think should be stickied on how to go about posting for anew comp.... to make it easy.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:38 am

[quote="Clay Pigeon";p="82927"]
You have to let it go. Blah knows that hardly any programs are multi-threaded above 2-way, but he is a power user and likely uses his spare cores for other things while he games.
[/quote]

I wish i had a quad core every day of the week.... i multitask sooooo much. There is a very rare occurance for me to have less than 3 windows open. I saw windows, i always have programs running in the background, messenger, utorrent, fraps, and so on and so forth.

One thing i do all to often is hit that lovely Alt-Tab button... that reminds me, i should macro that to a G key of mine... i Alt-Tab all time out of games. I run my games in windowed mode just so i can do that faster and not have to wait an eternity to get what i want. I do sacrifice fps in doing so, but i really dont care. There used to be a reason i had my video cards i guess. On another note, i have tons of tabs open as well within Firefox, usually always more than 6.

last night i was thinkin to my self, i really want one of these new quad cores. But first, how can i tell a program to always use core 3 or 4 and not 1 or 2 without having to modify the process affinity everytime i open it.... im still workin on that. Im not the biggest software guy, theres just too much.

In the mean time, i will stick to my e6700 at 3.5GHz. Im also tryon to figure out how to cool my radiator better as to lower the temperature of my cpu... im thinking i should actually get a different water block. But... eh whatever.....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson