Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

New vid card issues

Post by Ixtab » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:05 pm

So, I finally got around to getting my new video card. It is a Gigabyte GTX 960.
It has: 1 HDMI, 3 Display Ports, 1 DVI-D, and 1 DVI-I

My old setup was my main monitor with DVI-D and my little 15 inch secondary VGA monitor with a DVI-I adapter. It worked fine. This new card, however, does not seem to like DVI-D at all. I tried a few different things - either monitor woks in the DVI-I port, but I cannot get anything to work with the DVI-D.

I also picked up a DVI to Display Port adapter. It does not work with either the DVI-D monitor, or the VGA to DVI to DP.

The really odd thing - in the NVIDIA control panel, under 'configure surround, PhysX', it does not even show the DVI-D port.

I may have to RMA, but I really dont want to. Any ideas? Right now, I am just using my main monitor only, but I am already missing having the second one.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: New vid card issues

Post by M's » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:41 am

RMA it, that's the best option.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:46 am

Check through your video card manual carefully, to see what the requirements are for multi-monitor set-ups. There can be a lot of different specific combinations required to keep multi-monitor working correctly. It's quite possible that only one DVI port works at a time (that wouldn't be entirely unusual), which would explain why the DVI-D port wouldn't show up if you're checking while using your DVI-I port.

Also, check whether your monitors can both handle a digital signal? DVI-D only provides a digital signal, while DVI-I provides both analogue and digital. If the secondary monitor only has a VGA input, it may require an analogue signal in order to function, which means it must be connected to your DVI-I output - that's the only one you have capable of providing analogue. If you plug it in there, but then have the other monitor on the DVI-D (which may not function while DVI-I is working), then it would appear that neither monitor operates on D when in fact it's just that only one DVI port works at a time, and one monitor requires a specific version. Using an adapter to connect the analogue-only monitor to a digital output won't help - the adapter can't make an analogue signal appear when only a digital one is provided (like from DP).

I would try setting up the VGA/secondary monitor on the DVI-I, and hooking up the primary monitor to HDMI or DP. Give that a spin, and see if it works. If it doesn't, and there's nothing in the manual to provide further info, then I'd look in to an RMA.

(Apologies if any of that is repeating something you did - I couldn't always tell from the description which end of a connection was the adapter in things you'd tried so far).
-Boss Llama

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:51 pm

The one monitor is only DVI-D, and it works in the DVI-I spot, but even with just it alone, it won't work in the DVI-D.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Yuk. Still might be able to make it work by running the DVI-D monitor through an adapter to DP, and then running the VGA monitor through an adapter to DVI-I, but yeah... sounds like an RMA is in order.
-Boss Llama

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Ixtab wrote:The really odd thing - in the NVIDIA control panel, under 'configure surround, PhysX', it does not even show the DVI-D port.
Does it show in the set up digital audio tab?

Edit.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 2/#4346782

"Had this same issue with my dual monitor setup. I have the GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD_P.F40 bios. I fixed the issue by uninstalling all the Nvidia drivers with the Guru3d Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode. Then I installed the GeForce Experience from Gigabyte's website and installed the latest Nvidia drivers through there. After a reboot my 2nd monitor on the DVI-D started working. I did not modify any bios settings (I have a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H)."

Double Edit.

Found two more instances where someone solved your exact problem by uninstalling drivers, running registry cleaners and reinstalling drivers.

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:45 am

Well, I tried the driver thing with no luck, but I did manage to get things working. The DVI-D port still doesnt show up or anything, and the DVI-Display Port adapter did not work, but I got a DVI-HDMI adapter, and it works.
Kind of an annoying setup, but at least I have a second monitor working now.

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Glad to hear you got it going.