Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Emulation PC suggestions

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:34 pm

I recently reacquired the family video game collection (it was in safe keeping with my brother) and I was all excited to play the old games again when it occurred to me that I don't really have physical space to set all of them up or store the games close by. While I would love to have a setup akin to James Rolfe (the Angry Video Game Nerd) I just know in my current living conditions that's not possible or practical. So I had another idea in which I'd try and get a smaller PC that I could hook up to my TV who's sole purpose is to run emulation software, and possibly a few lower-budget games like Castle Crashers or Freedom Planet via Steam.

So i'm looking for a media center PC to work with. In my current state I'd need something physically small; really no bigger than my Wii U as I really don't have much space to store things. Graphics aren't a huge concern, but I would like the system to be strong enough to support fifth generation console emulation (Gamecube and Dreamcast are as far as I go) as well as lower-end Steam titles (nothing like TF2, but things like Castle Crashers and other local co-op titles that don't require extensive graphical support). I have access to a copy of Windows 7 Basic and I plan on using GameEx for a front-end to have everything running smoothly, though having the option to use Steam Big Picture would also be nice. Don't need to have a significant hard drive, my emulation collection right now only takes up 25GB, and half of that space is nine Gamecube ISOs. I'm thinking either 256GB or 500GB mostly for the OS and Steam, as well as other media I might decide to put in later since I could always use the thing for movies. One more concern is that my current TV is not HDMI compatible so I need something for component or DVI input. As far as a budget is concerned, I'd love to keep it under $500 if possible and the lower the better.

If anyone has any experience with this sort of project, I'd like to hear some recommendations on what I should go after.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

tsmitho
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Emulation PC suggestions

Post by tsmitho » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:05 pm

I have a htpc setup with every nes, snes, and n64 game + emulator. I wont get into and AMD vs Intel debate for a suggestion but I would get a ITX or Nano ITX motherboard and case if you are looking for something small. you may not think you need much hardware but emulators can be hardware demanding because it uses alot more behind the scenes to emulate the hardware of the older counsels. you could get by with like an A10 with int. gfx or a newer i5 with internal gfx but i would recommend getting a cheaper gfx card ~100$ would have better performance usually than even a high end integrated gfx. dvi output isnt a problem because HDMI and DVI are the same signal so you can get a passive HDMI to DVI cable for like 5 bux. also shoutout to James Rolfe #AVGN FTW :) I just realized are you looking to build one or buy one?
*edit*
oh, you can also get controller adapters for pretty cheap, i have n64/nes/snes to usb adapters, they are like 10 dollars on amazon and are well worth it. we have friends over at my place to play mario kart 64 with real n64 controllers all the time for an authentic experience

| AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition | ATI 5830 | 4GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 | ASUS Board | Liquid Cooled |