A forum for computer hardware and software issues
M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Windows 10

Post by M's » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Make sure all your drivers are up to date and not corrupted before d/l.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 pm

So, now that Windows 10 has been out for several months, what do people think? I've been holding off on the upgrade to make sure that any major issues were resolved. Should I do it now, or is Windows 7 still the better option?

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:37 pm

I personally think it's a nice improvement over 7 and 8. Windows 8 had some good ideas, but there were enough quirks that annoyed people. With Windows 10 they seemed to smooth out most of those annoyances.

I think it's worth the upgrade, especially since it's currently free, but that might just be me.

Inner
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Inner » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:03 pm

I upgraded from 7 to 10. I have no major complaints about using 10 on a daily basis. Got it to work even with all my old printers and software.

Of course as you've no doubt read, be aware that 10 defaults to wanting to share everything you do with nearly anybody you've ever heard of. So you might want to turn some of that off and be a bit more selective. Also everything you send via Cortana gets stored in Microsoft's files, so on my desktop PC I turned Cortana off too.

If you're an Internet Explorer user, note that 10 wants to use it's replacement "Microsoft Edge" instead. Explorer is still there and works fine but is not the default.

One example of 10 versus 7 and older: to get to control panel in 10 I right click on the "Start button"/Windows Icon and scroll up to control panel. Not a huge difference, just the kind of little things you have to get used to.

Any amazing new abilities? Not for me, not yet.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:08 pm

I finally made the jump to Win10 today after 8.1 botched yet another auto-update. I haven't spent enough time with it to have strong thoughts yet, but I like the return of the old-style Start menu. It only took me a few minutes to move all my most-used programs to be prominent at the top of the list, shoving all the weird default stuff out of sight.

Is there a way to color the frame on application windows? I'm so used to the "white = out-of-focus" color coding of Win8 that I keep thinking Chrome has been deselected as my active window. It's near-impossible to tell which window is the active one if they don't overlap.

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Will T. wrote:Is there a way to color the frame on application windows? I'm so used to the "white = out-of-focus" color coding of Win8 that I keep thinking Chrome has been deselected as my active window. It's near-impossible to tell which window is the active one if they don't overlap.
No but I think that is coming in an update at some point.
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:24 am

Well I made the upgrade from 7 to 10. I haven't really noticed any major differences yet. I spent ~20 minutes turning off cortana and taking care of the privacy issues, but once that was taken care of it just seems like a reskin to me.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Okay, I reverted back to Windows 7 today. When Windows 10 worked, it was quite nice. BUT, I was getting incessant freezes forcing hard-restarts multiple times per hour. Annoying for gaming, but more importantly, it was stopping me from getting work done.

I hope this reversion fixes that issue.

tsmitho
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by tsmitho » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:38 pm

I think its awesome personally, I have upgraded all of my computers to it. There is somewhat of a performance upgrade with better os optimization. *Protip* for people looking for power user stuff ie. control panel windows + x is your bestfriend. you can get to lots of important stuff by pressing that shortcut (it was in win 8 too). having said windows 10 is nice/good, there can be problems with the update. I work tech support in retail so i see all the problems some people have trying to do the updates. some manufacturers haven't updated their drivers in a while *cough*(sony) so they may have compatibility issues. check your motherboard/laptop mfg to check win 10 driver compatibility. even it it inst officially supported win 10 in my experience is pretty good at using older drivers too. the other problem people encounter is something going wrong during the installation ie powerloss/other glitch that causes it to not be installed 100% correct. if that happens, i would recommend redoing the installation. also keep in mind that if you update to win 10, you can downgrade to your previous OS within 2 weeks

| AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition | ATI 5830 | 4GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 | ASUS Board | Liquid Cooled |

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:25 pm

tsmitho wrote:also keep in mind that if you update to win 10, you can downgrade to your previous OS within 2 weeks
It's actually a month.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:18 pm

I've spent a couple weeks on Win10 now. Here are my thoughts so far:

- Boot and wake-up times are MUCH faster than on Win8. It used to take ~5 minutes for my computer to go from zero to ready-to-go in the morning, but it now takes <2 minutes. It also used to take 10-20 seconds to wake up from sleep mode, which has been reduced to 3-5 seconds.
- Applications seem to vary in their launch times, but there seems to be an overall improvement over Win8.
- Windows Defender originally refused to scan for viruses right after I updated, always giving some kind of error about "the environment isn't right" or something. It seems to have fixed itself though, as I'm running a scan as I type this.
- So far I haven't had significant issues with my machine failing to boot/shut down except for one time right at the beginning. Win8 used to derp hard on startup/shutdown at least once a week.
- My biggest complaint is the lack of visual feedback within the OS itself. It's hard to tell if my clicks on taskbar icons have registered if nothing happens immediately, and foreground/background windows are the same color except for the shade of the minimize/maximize/close buttons, which is extremely subtle, not to mention out-of-the-way.

Overall I like it, even though it's taken some getting used to.

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:02 pm

A recent auto-update added color to window borders when they're active. I can finally tell which window is the foreground one again! This is a huge relief when working with a lot of windows at once, such as when moving files around.

Despite some touchiness with the Start menu and other bottom-bar menus deciding not to open on random days (logging out/back in seems to fix it), Win10 is definitely a step up from Win8 so far. Performance is better, the interface is more familiar for veteran Windows users, and it generally seems to be more polished.

eumoria
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Blizzard tag: eumoria#1944

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by eumoria » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:29 pm

I was an early adopter and been using it full time on work and home computers for a while now. I really love it, love the multi-desktops built in like I have on my Linux boxes, the command prompt is modern and has a command history I really can't praise it enough. Also it performs exactly as well as 7 on i5 devil's canyon Z97 chipset 2400mhz memory.

Before the 1511 update I did have a crash every now and then but not one since the update (I also fresh formatted for the update so may be partially or totally unrelated.)

If you're worried because 8/8.1 sucked so badly it is nothing like 8/8.1. It's as good as 7 performance wise, and completely superior in many other aspects.

That being said download this:
https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWin ... /releases/
And remove the spying that's built in. If you use the default setup and cortana to search you will get targeted advertisement and a number of other intrusive things.