The_Reaper
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Windows 10

Post by The_Reaper » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:37 am

So I just got an offer for a free upgrade to Windows 10 since I've been running 7 since it came out. I hated 8. Does anyone know if it's worth it? The online reviews are a mixed bag.
The Ville Cup 2014-The Carpetbaggers

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Windows 10

Post by MateoTheBold! » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:46 pm

I'm the same boat as you. Using Windows 7, but I will probably upgrade to 10 when the time comes. Unless something changes, Win 7 currently has hotfix support until 2020, and we have a year to claim our free upgrade to Win 10, so there is a bit of time to evaluate 10.

DX12 comes with 10, so I will probably end up upgrading simply for that.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I was considering this on the way home from work - I love Windows 7, and don't particularly want to leave it behind just yet. I especially don't want anything resembling the suck that is Windows 8. I think I'll probably do the update first on one of my back-up computers to test it out and see if I like it before toeing the waters with my real system. I've got enough copies of Windows 7 to do fresh installs for new computers until support expires on it, so I don't feel any particular pressure.

Given the "every other version rule," who knows, maybe Win 10 will be great. If so, I'll happily move over. I don't especially trust their "free updates forever" model though, given their history of horrifically bad design decisions every couple years, and the paid subscription model they're trying to push with Office 365 and such. It feels like a another step towards cloud computing and normalization of the "you don't own software, you just buy permission to use it" model that is plaguing the market.
-Boss Llama

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:14 pm

I'm going to upgrade when it's available. I was reading through the new CEO's "vision" plan and I'll admit to being impressed.

That being said Windows 10 doesn't "undo" what Windows 8 was. Due to the mega complexity of the beast that is "Windows" they are simply moving forward. So there will still be things people hate that may stick around for a while. Due to the whole "stockholders want to make money" thing they can't just scrap the whole thing and start fresh.

What's being referred to as Windows 10 was called Windows 9 during development. There are a few theories as to why they went with 10 including:
-Distancing themselves from 8; i.e. it's not just the next version it's a whole new thing
-Errors with code referencing Windows 95/98
-9 is an unlucky number for the new CEO

Anyway, I'll do the upgrade and let you all know what I think. If it's awful it's easy enough to do a fresh install, or even better I'll take an image of my computer beforehand so I can just roll back to that.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Overcharged has been using the beta since February for gaming. I'll see if I can get him to post here.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:38 am

metacide wrote: -Errors with code referencing Windows 95/98
Thats hitting the nail on the head as the real reason, coming from my brother who works on the inside for Microsoft....
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Mad-Hammer
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mad-Hammer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:50 am

Been using the Preview for several months now. My only complaint is when they decide to give you a new build, it messes with your apps. I was surprised how it migrated all my Windows 7 programs over without any headaches.
All in all, it's a major upgrade from Windows 8. Currently running Build 10074 on my work computer and home computer.
Image[/center]

Deslock
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Deslock » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:16 am

I've also been using the preview (build 10162) and I have not had any problems with it (yet), but I'm not a heavy user (some games and internet)
I go back to 7 for any heavy work.
Dog isn't Evil, he's Canadian. There's a difference. :lol:
CV 6 USS Enterprise 12 May 1938 - 17 February 1947
CVN 65 USS Enterprise 25 November 1961 - 1 December 2012
CVN 80 USS Enterprise 2025

The_Reaper
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The_Reaper » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Went ahead and reserved my copies for when they actually get it optimized for heavy use. Really hate being an unpaid beta tester.
The Ville Cup 2014-The Carpetbaggers

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:51 pm

So far I haven't really had any issues with Windows 10. Interface is pretty nice. Most of the different things like Cortana or tiles on the start menu are completely optional. Your general use will basically be the same as Win7.

If you don't want to wait for your wave you can skip it and upgrade by using this tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:22 pm

Uber! wrote:So far I haven't really had any issues with Windows 10. Interface is pretty nice. Most of the different things like Cortana or tiles on the start menu are completely optional. Your general use will basically be the same as Win7.

If you don't want to wait for your wave you can skip it and upgrade by using this tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
What he said, I'm content with everything so far.
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 pm

Is there any common software that currently doesn't run on Win10? I've heard that Minecraft has a specialized Win10 version, which makes me curious if other games will require updates before being Win10-compatible. I also want to keep using my existing version of Microsoft Office instead of their new subscription-based nonsense.

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Will T. wrote:Is there any common software that currently doesn't run on Win10? I've heard that Minecraft has a specialized Win10 version, which makes me curious if other games will require updates before being Win10-compatible. I also want to keep using my existing version of Microsoft Office instead of their new subscription-based nonsense.
I don't know of any commonly run software that doesn't work. All the software I've installed so far has worked just fine. I haven't installed my copy of Office 2013 yet so I'll edit this after I install that.

The Minecraft Windows 10 Edition is a complete joke. It's literally just the mobile version on PC. Also the audio was completely broken for me. The normal version is the far superior version and should work just fine on Windows 10.

Edit: Installed Office 2013. Works just fine.
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:41 am

Upgraded mine over night, now I can't find my log in screen.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:30 am

I upgraded my laptop and my fathers. No issues yet for him but I barely played with it. It looks just the same as 8.1 with Cortana included. Meeeh....