A forum for computer hardware and software issues
BlueInGreen
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Windows 10

Post by BlueInGreen » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:40 pm

I'm waiting until Apple updates Boot Camp (run Windows on a Mac) so that I know all of the drivers work.

As for for 8 to 10 skip, I wouldn't be surprised if the decision was driven by their marketing. I know from being there that most of Apple's weird version skips were driven by marketing (they don't know how to count -- engineers do).
Any sufficiently advanced player is indistinguishable from a cheater.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:22 am

So I finally made the upgrade (there were issues I had to resolve, very tiresome) and so far, I'm not overly impressed.

I don't see anything that makes me think "holy moly, look at that!" There are a few things that are vaguely irritating; for instance I use to be able to right click on the Steam icon in my taskbar and do a quick launch of a game and I can't do that anymore. Other things I'm sure are just learning curve issues but the not being able to quick launch a game bothers me more than it should.

Having a taskbar on each screen is an interesting feature (that I immediately turned off) and the phone companion thing looks pretty cool, I just haven't set it up yet.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:48 am

metacide wrote:There are a few things that are vaguely irritating; for instance I use to be able to right click on the Steam icon in my taskbar and do a quick launch of a game and I can't do that anymore.
That's strange. I can still do that...

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:02 am

Stevo wrote:
metacide wrote:There are a few things that are vaguely irritating; for instance I use to be able to right click on the Steam icon in my taskbar and do a quick launch of a game and I can't do that anymore.
That's strange. I can still do that...
Yeah I can do that too
VIEW CONTENT:
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08 am

Well what the heck you two? Now I'm going to have to figure out what I did to break that.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:14 am

metacide wrote:Well what the heck you two? Now I'm going to have to figure out what I did to break that.
Are you using a custom skin or anything? I do but I don't know how it affects that area.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Checkm8 wrote:
metacide wrote:Well what the heck you two? Now I'm going to have to figure out what I did to break that.
Are you using a custom skin or anything? I do but I don't know how it affects that area.
Default across the board. The only fancy thing I do is put the taskbar on the right side instead of the bottom. Yes, I tried moving it to the bottom to see if that made a difference and no, it did not.

I can launch "Recent" games from the system icon by the clock, so that's something anyway.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:39 pm

My desktop shortcuts keep losing their icons. :?

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Well, I have a few windows 10 plans for the next few weeks, I've been holding off until, well, until I feel like looking at it :)

My new gaming box that I build around Christmas, I have no migrated to it yet but thats plan 1, get off my old gaming box and onto the new.

The new and old boxes will stay at win 7 until I get the old box fully backed up and the new box doing everything that the old box did.

My older I7 gaming box (1st gen I7) I will put an SSD into and upgrade it to windows 10 pro just so I can cut my teeth on it but not have to be too frustrated.

I may also bootcamp my Mac or my Mac Mini with Windows 10, I think Apple is ready for that now.

I will also upgrade my guest PC to Windows 10 (I keep this one for house guests to have internet access/browsing, etc).

So far I have only played with 10 in a virtual machine, perhaps for 10 minutes, so I have a little ways to go :)

One huge warning when upgrading is to ensure you do a custom install, if you do an express install all sorts of annoying settings are on that gives Microsoft far too much information about you, your contacts, your PC, your browsing and other activities. Read more here.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224352/what%E2 ... tom-setup/

JD

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:54 pm

I upgraded my sony vaio and told it to keep all my apps. I think that was a bad idea as I am now having a lot of issues. I had to uninstall ObjectDock because my system would literally freeze loading the initial start screen. That solved a good bit of my issues but I still occasionally freeze then get the BSOD with some watchdog violation error.

I built a new gaming rig and put a fresh install of 10 on it. Then I installed all my apps/software. I have had no problems with it. It runs all the same applications as my laptop, such as ObjectDock.

So, I think this is just an issue of proprietary bs between MS OS and the laptop manufacturer. Just be weary if you are updating your machine and migrate your apps.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:22 am

I found a decent post on how to tweak Windows 10 so that you have some privacy while running it and Microsoft doesnt end up knowing about all the things you do on your PC.

https://techsoncall.wordpress.com/2015/ ... indows-10/

JD

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:53 am

That was a pretty good find there, JD. 9/10 would tweak again.

Flyte
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Flyte » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:47 pm

For some reason every time I download something on chrome it crashes after upgrading..

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:29 am

John Doe wrote:I found a decent post on how to tweak Windows 10 so that you have some privacy while running it and Microsoft doesnt end up knowing about all the things you do on your PC.

JD
While I haven't put Windows 10 on anything, I'll certainly keep this link around for if I ever do! Right now I'm hoping to ride Windows 7 for... I dunno... eternity I suppose.
-Boss Llama

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Boss Llama wrote:
John Doe wrote:I found a decent post on how to tweak Windows 10 so that you have some privacy while running it and Microsoft doesnt end up knowing about all the things you do on your PC.

JD
While I haven't put Windows 10 on anything, I'll certainly keep this link around for if I ever do! Right now I'm hoping to ride Windows 7 for... I dunno... eternity I suppose.
Just don't forget to grab the free windows 10 upgrade within a year. You can always get it and revert to 7 if you would prefer to keep 7. That way when you reach eternity or EOL support/DX 12 requirements for games, you have your free win 10.

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014