Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Odd Windows 8 issue

Post by Ixtab » Sun May 10, 2015 6:09 pm

So, my video cards seem to be overheating a lot lately, even playing games that used to be fine. I tried doing all the usual cleaning and fan checking, but nothing helps. I am not 100% sure, but it seems like it started after going to Windows 8. I looked a bit online, and there seems to be others having the same issue, but I havent seen much for fixes, other than going back to Win7.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had, or heard of anyone that has had, this issue, and if they know of a fix?

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Odd Windows 8 issue

Post by John Doe » Sun May 10, 2015 7:18 pm

I am not a fan of Windows 8 in any of its flavors or releases.

If your experiencing issues I wouldnt be surprised if Windows 8 isnt part of it, how difficult would it be to go back to Windows 7 and wait for Windows 10 in the fall?

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Sun May 10, 2015 7:41 pm

Windows 10 in the fall? That seems quick. Also, did they forget how to count?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Mon May 11, 2015 5:53 am

They named the new one 10, because they wanted to "break with the past" - the claim is that it will be the last "Versioned" Windows, and that henceforward Windows will be a single product that is continuously updated and modified, instead of re-released every few years with the need to upgrade.

The cynic in me says they want to sell expensive subscriptions, and that given their habit of making crap every alternate time, there will be many updates that are horrible and nobody wants (but nobody can avoid, either...). On the slightly less bitter side, it's been said that they've learned that perhaps a mobile-based operation system is incredibly stupid given their market, and this coming up will be an odd-numbered release (despite it's designation), and the odd-numbered ones have been solid for a while.
-Boss Llama

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:29 pm

I installed windows 8 on my PC when it came out. I run 3 monitors with an Eyefinity setup. Man... it bricked my system hard. I just went back to ol' 7 and have been there since. I don't know if 8.1 imporved anything for my graphics but I am not willing to test the devil again! Good luck with your issue!
Boss Llama wrote:They named the new one 10, because they wanted to "break with the past" - the claim is that it will be the last "Versioned" Windows, and that henceforward Windows will be a single product that is continuously updated and modified, instead of re-released every few years with the need to upgrade.

The cynic in me says they want to sell expensive subscriptions, and that given their habit of making crap every alternate time, there will be many updates that are horrible and nobody wants (but nobody can avoid, either...). On the slightly less bitter side, it's been said that they've learned that perhaps a mobile-based operation system is incredibly stupid given their market, and this coming up will be an odd-numbered release (despite it's designation), and the odd-numbered ones have been solid for a while.
Just be glad they want that apple-like business model we all love! /sarcasm

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Mon May 11, 2015 11:31 pm

I was thinking of going back to 7, but my Win7 disk is shot.... maybe I should have kept it in a case instead of loose in a box...
I also need to free up space and stuff, which I have been working on. I kind of wish I never went to 8 at all, because having to reinstall everything is going to be a pain... I am tired of installing windows.

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Are you on 8 or 8.1?

While neither are great 8.1 does fix few things.

Ixtab
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Ixtab » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:57 am

At this point, I am really looking forward to Windows 10... 8 is a mess.

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Boss Llama wrote:They named the new one 10, because they wanted to "break with the past".
At least this makes sense from a programming sense. There's quite a few pieces of software that looks for Windows 95 and 98 by checking if the string starts with "Windows 9". Often times it's cost-prohibitive to go back and change every single instance of stuff like that to make sure it works right.