A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Failure configuring Windows Update

Post by Maple Man » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Soo windows decided to restart my cpu near the end of a l4d2 match (team still barely won, 169% rage quit). It did mention it would restart in 15 min in the middle, but I was lazy. Anyways, so cpu restarts, updates stuff, when it reboots, it gives the message "Failure configuring Windows Update. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer". Afterwards, it resets my desktop to how it originally started when I first got it, except with the shortcuts I had, puts me in some temporary profile, and this still exists.Image
So am I forced to do a hard system restore, or is there some other way.
Has been going on for about 4-5 months, but it's starting to become a bit ridiculous.

Maple Man
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Failure configuring Windows Update

Post by Maple Man » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:00 pm

and if I click "Install Updates"

tsmitho
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Failure configuring Windows Update

Post by tsmitho » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:45 pm

windows update breaks all the time. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 this is a link to download a microsoft fixit tool to basically clear out the updates and restart the services. all the text below the download part is just how to do it manually but its alot easier to just run the utility and you can trust it because its made by microsoft. in the future if something breaks, dont wait months, just use system restore to an earlier point when everything was working (you have system restore enabled right...? if not *DO IT*).

| AMD Phenom 9950 Black Edition | ATI 5830 | 4GB Corsair Dominator PC6400 | ASUS Board | Liquid Cooled |