Games being unplayable due to lag

A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Jonathin
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Games being unplayable due to lag

Post by Jonathin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:06 pm

I've gotten to the point that playing TF2, L4D or MC is infuriating due to losing my connection. Steam games, either I lose it after 30 seconds, or it stops counting down, but then counts down again after glitching out. And MC it's where I can't even edit with 2 chunk visibility.

Some insight: My PC is in my room on the second floor in the corner. The router is on the 1st floor. I have a feeling it's my connection that's crap, so what is my best option to see if this is the case; ie, change what I have to have the best connection to the internet. Wired or repeater for wireless?

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Games being unplayable due to lag

Post by M's » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Go wired, and see if that corrects it.

Rumps
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Rumps » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 pm

def check wired and see if that improves. have you tried speedtest.net to check your speed. you can extend your wireless with the addition of a used router. it can be a cheaper solution vs buying a extender.

Jonathin
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Jonathin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:58 pm

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3637239826

Thing is my connection seems to not be constant, which is evident to me when it loses the connection and finds it again. I'll buy the cable needed and report back

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Why don't you take your computer closer to the router and plug it up. That way if it's something else you will no be out any cash.

Jonathin
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Jonathin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:38 pm

It would be a massive pain, my monitor is one of those schools use and doesn't sit up right. They didn't have a cable long enough for my needs, so I'll give my service provider a call tomorrow and ask for their input.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Is your rotuer password protected? I lived in an area once and my roommate kept the connection open. People were using our connection and bogging down our network. Once we protected it..... zip we went. If that is not the case, download wireshark and check your connection strength. Use that to help troubleshoot. If you are on a 2.4 gHz frequency, other wireless devices could be interfering. I'd suggest the 5 gHz frequency if you have a dual band router. If there is only a 2.4 gHz then change the channels to the highest channel you can.

Jonathin
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Jonathin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:41 pm

I downloaded that, but I have no idea how to use it or read it.

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:13 pm

It really is just a graph showing all the available wireless networks. Your network should show up and give you a relative idea of signal strength. It's not really a tool to fix things but to track internet traffic but it helps detect the wireless networks around you and the strength. If multiple networks are around (i.e. neighbors), you could be getting interference. Same with the microwave or a cordless telephone. I actually have a wireless logitech head set that communicates via 2.4 gHz. That was dumb of me. Luckily all my wireless devices can connect to the 5 gHz channel.

Tilgasse
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Tilgasse » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:18 am

Defiantly go wired if you can.

You can get a 100' Ethernet cable off the Amazon for under 30$. Will be a worlds difference

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 pm

"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar