Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

great resolution/frame rate explanation

Post by Dirty Dan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm

As a long time PC gamer I'm sort of embarrassed I didn't know more of this, but I think I might not be alone in my confusion around the give and take between resolution and frame rate, among other things.

So check out this article, Polygon being excellent per usual.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5761780 ... 4-xbox-one

Joel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: great resolution/frame rate explanation

Post by Joel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 am

Well, if there's one thing I learned from that article, it's what v-synch actually does. I see this brought up so many times in every game site I go to—720p v. 1080p, 30 fps v. 60 fps. To be honest, I don't notice that much of a difference between 720p and 1080p, although I do notice a significant difference between 30 fps and 60 fps.

For example, The Last of Us runs at 720p and 30 fps on the PS3; TLOU: Remastered, which'll come out for the PS4, runs at 1080p and 60 fps. I'm not exactly sure whether this is true 1080p, or if it was partially upscaled to that resolution; however, Naughty Dog claims that character models in-game will be the same quality as their cutscene counterparts, which apparently weren't both the same in the PS3 version. I did see the trailer for the PS4 version and while I didn't notice that much of a graphical upgrade, I certainly noticed the 60 fps in the trailer compared to the 30 fps I saw while playing the game on my PS3.

With that said, I don't mind playing most PS3 games and some PC games at 30 fps; however, I always definitely try to hit 60 fps for PC games in general. (Sadly, TF2 is the only game I can consistently run at 60 fps and with decent graphics.)

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm

What they said about v-sync is mostly accurate, though, I think they failed to mention why it's useful.

It essentially makes sure that an entire frame is sent to the monitor at once... Which reduces and often eliminates tearing (having half the screen update before the rest). Its especially noticeable in fast paced games. If your computer can handle it, I strongly recommend v-sync, even if that might involve turning down some settings.

There's no point in trying to render 9001 fps when you monitor doesn't handle more than 60 or so hz.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Vsync introduces serious mouse lag. If you're interested in maximum accuracy or micro-tweaking your sensitivity settings, do not use vsync in fps games

belak
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by belak » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:55 pm

I'm just ocd about screen tearing I guess. Lol.

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:02 am

Everyone has great response to this article and I will tell you why you had those responses.

This article is PS4 vs XBOX1. We're all PC elitests. The dev says more than 30 frames per second are useless. He has never played a twitch based game like a PC first person shooter. Shooters on consoles have aim assists and capped turn times. This isn't because console gamers are noobs, it's limitations with using a joystick.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:26 am

I think 60 is good for FPS. In intense FPS moments you notice 30 is slower. I usually target my settings around 1080 and 60-70 fps. My monitor can do 144 and I have a 780 so I can get over 60 in a lot of games, but beyond that I consider it pointlessly taxing my system.

Insane
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Insane » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Agreed ^