arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Question about building

Post by arfy4 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 pm

My friend was building a computer recently and because he really wanted to get it done he forgot the standoffs and it wouldn't start after it was all together. When I helped him we figured out that was what he forgot and put it in and it still doesn't start. Sometimes the CPU fan moves a little bit but other than that nothing. I think I know the answer to this, but what's the chance that the motherboard shorted because of him forgetting the standoffs? I disconnected and reconnected everything to make sure it was right, so I'm confident it's not a bad or missing connection. Is there a way to tell if the motherboard shorted?

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Question about building

Post by Gizanked » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:43 pm

but what's the chance that the motherboard shorted because of him forgetting the standoffs?
high
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

ADevilishPotato
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by ADevilishPotato » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:50 pm

Gizanked wrote:
but what's the chance that the motherboard shorted because of him forgetting the standoffs?
high
WARPATH Cup '12- [WARPATH] We are running past all the heavies
The Ville Cup '12- (DYD) Dirty Dan's Double D's
Dust Bowl loves Warpath '13- (CD-i) Chokepoints and Demomen- international (Champions!)
The Ville Cup '13- [T^5] Tuber's Truly Terrifying Tator Tots
The Ville Cup '14- GCI_ Guild of Calamitous Intent

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:23 am

High to the point of guaranteed. Placing the motherboard directly against the motherboard tray and turning it on is putting a live electronic circuit in contact with a metal sheet. Shorting it like that is not necessarily guaranteed to destroy the mobo (some parts are just prevented from working while in that configuration), but if having done that it's now having problems, despite everything else being correct, it is highly suspect.

It's worth testing the PSU for a problem as well, if you have another one available, as the slight bounce in the CPU fan followed by nothing is something that can happen with a dead PSU.
-Boss Llama

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:24 pm

If I plug it in the lights on the graphics card turn on and if I press the power button the fans in the computer all move a little bit. I don't have a PSU available. I've heard of using a multimeter to test the PSU, would that be a possibility? And if it's not the PSU does that guarantee the problems is the motherboard?