Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Extremely Slow?

Post by Clay Pigeon » Fri May 17, 2013 7:27 pm

First off, what brand hard drive is your c drive?

If its a wd, get the wd lifeguard tools and check it.

If its a seagate, backup the data and replace the drive.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Alright so I ran a wd lifeguard tools check and got this error:
"Status = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure checkpoint = 65 (Error Log Test)"

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Sat May 18, 2013 12:55 am

slow-to-start applications reeks of hard drive issues.

Try a checkdisk: open explorer, then "my computer", right-click your c: and click properties, then, under "tools" > "error checking" select "check now" and let it scan (it'll take a while, hours if the hard drive is on it's way out or housing massive amounts of data).

The checkdisk will tell you if your hard drive is healthy or failing. If it's failing, don't put data on it -- replace it. If the drive is healthy, and all the other hardware is fine, it's almost certainly corruption somewhere in the operating system. In this case, back up your data and reinstall windows (and everything else).

other tests:
RAM: take out all but one stick, try things out. If you can't make it crash, shut down and try with another stick until you find the bad one
Heat: open your case while the machine is on, if it's loud (listen for struggling or dying fan sounds) or feels hot in a 'crash condition' (situation where it would normally crash), identify and replace the misbehaving fan.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Sat May 18, 2013 7:24 am

At this point I'd make sure you have a solid backup before doing anything else. Running tests on a failing drive could make it worse, so backup all your data before doing anything else!

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Flash wrote:At this point I'd make sure you have a solid backup before doing anything else. Running tests on a failing drive could make it worse, so backup all your data before doing anything else!
quoted for emphasis.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:00 pm

Didn't want to make a new topic so I'll revive this one.

Over the past couple days my computer has become progressively slower and slower on startup. Today it has reached a point where I feel like it needs to be fixed. I've spent upwards of almost an hour trying to get stuff to open but to no avail. I had run malware bytes and other scans prior and it never found any malware. Now all processes, not just at startup, take inane amounts of time to open, whether it be opening the start menu or clicking on anything else. It also gets locked when I'm trying to shut it down and the "Logging off..." screen freezes. When I boot it in safe mode everything opens fine.
What are my options?

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Check your system load using ctrl-alt-del, to see what's running. Something is eating resources, it sounds like. The fact that it runs in safe mode just fine suggests it may be a program that launches itself on startup - either a malicious one or a broken one. If you have another system with which to do so (or are patient enough to do it on that one) download the program HijackThis! and post the log. Don't "fix" anything with it yet, just get the log file - it can destroy your system if used incorrectly, but is a very powerful repair tool when used the right way.
-Boss Llama

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by M's » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:Check your system load using ctrl-alt-del, to see what's running. Something is eating resources, it sounds like. The fact that it runs in safe mode just fine suggests it may be a program that launches itself on startup - either a malicious one or a broken one. If you have another system with which to do so (or are patient enough to do it on that one) download the program HijackThis! and post the log. Don't "fix" anything with it yet, just get the log file - it can destroy your system if used incorrectly, but is a very powerful repair tool when used the right way.
He speaketh the truth. And after all that, you can select run enter msconfig - services hide all Microsoft services - startup.

Then select what you want to start when you power up.

Pine
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Pine » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:37 pm

It's nearly impossible to get anything going, I'm tempted to just do a fresh install of windows 7 to get rid of a bunch of other junk anyways.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:11 pm

x
Last edited by Clay Pigeon on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cam
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by cam » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Pine wrote:It's nearly impossible to get anything going, I'm tempted to just do a fresh install of windows 7 to get rid of a bunch of other junk anyways.
If you're comfortable going this route, then reformatting and reinstalling is the best choice. Nothing better than a fresh OS install.

On the other hand, there aren't things I hate more than putting all my files back in the right places.