arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

New TV/Monitor

Post by arfy4 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:59 pm

I'm looking for a new TV an monitor. I'm trying to find something around $200 and 22" or bigger, with 1080P resolution to use for Xbox and as a second monitor. Anyone have any suggestions? The bigger the better

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: New TV/Monitor

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:49 am

When you say TV/Monitor, do you mean something with an actual television receiver inside it, or do you just mean a monitor you can hook a console to?
-Boss Llama

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 am

27" Samsung monitor/TV - $249
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T27B350ND ... B007ILEHSA

Cross-checking against Newegg for what inputs it has... it doesn't have DVI input, so for your PC you'd need to hook it up via VGA or HDMI. Not sure if that's a dealbreaker.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I have a Viewsonic VA2703 -- 27".

It has a matte screen, which I much prefer over gloss, and no extra frills like tinny speakers etc.

I'm a big fan of Viewsonic, always have been, they're my go-to brand. Whichever brand you end up going with, I highly recommend the 27" size -- great balance between physical size and resolution.

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm

I just bought this for my new PC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001540

A little over your budget, but this one looks really good. However, this doesn't have HDMI support, which may be a problem for the Xbox. It is however fully adjustable and has a native 1920 x 1200 resolution.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:41 pm

I'm looking for something with HDMI input mostly, and it does not have to have a television receiver, I will most likely only use it as a second monitor and display for game consoles.

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 am

you can adapt DVI to HDMI with a simple passive adapter, if you end up finding a killer DVI-only monitor at a great price

Crusty Juggler
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Crusty Juggler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Cat Square wrote:I have a Viewsonic VA2703 -- 27".

I highly recommend the 27" size -- great balance between physical size and resolution.
The 27 inchers seem too big for me, Cat Square. I have a 24 inch and it fits neatly into my computer corner.

I've said this before, but if someone were to break into my house I would first grab my Dell Ultrasharp and use it as a shield and bashing device. The panel is really thick and heavy. Could stop a bullet with that thing.
arfy4 wrote:I'm looking for a new TV an monitor. I'm trying to find something around $200 and 22" or bigger, with 1080P resolution to use for Xbox and as a second monitor. Anyone have any suggestions? The bigger the better
Welp, most people suggest a 27 inch. I say 24. The LED Ultrasharps are not cheap, around $270-300 for a 24 inch. However you can get a 23 inch on sale at Amazon right now for $230 (free shipping), which is damn cheap for an LED one. The customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

HDMI has a high bitrate (uncompressed? I think...) audio signal to go along with the video output. Will you be passing audio to or through the monitor, arfy? What's your audio solution as far as the console, PC and/or cable box?

$229 for that 23 inch LED Ultrasharp with free shipping is a really good deal right now. It's a nice size for a secondary monitor. I'd take it.
  • The Ville Cup 2012 Champions - [SNES] Superflous Nipples Equals Success - Captain
    Dustbowl<3Warpath Champions- Team CDi- Captain

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Ultrasharps are absolutely beautiful monitors and 24" is a great intersection of physical size and resolution. The dot pitch 27" is such that things just look larger, where 24" doesn't look physically that much smaller, but seems sharper because the dots are packed a little tighter. I just like to keep tabs on my pixels, I'm on a first-name basis with them all.