A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

GFX Card Help.

Post by Larry » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 pm

So I'm looking into getting a new PC and I have my eyes on one. I'm happy with everything in it but the graphics card. Out of the box it comes with a Radeon HD 7570. Anybody have/or had one? From my research, it seems that everybody says it's on the lower range. It's that right? If so, I'm looking for a upgrade. I don't plan to do anything super hardcore like BF3 on high or Crysis 3.

The PC has a AMD 6 core FX 6200. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: GFX Card Help.

Post by Boss Llama » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:40 pm

That is the sort of card that would handle most non-gaming operations with flying colors, but is definitely low end for a gaming system - it appears to be the $60 contender. It's hard to find specific data on it, because it isn't something that gets sold stand-alone much and doesn't even show up on some comparison charts - it's pretty much just a card that gets used as an include on prebuilt systems. From what I can find about it, performance is around the level of a GT640 or an 8800GT/X. That would make it the sort of card that could give you 40-50fps in TF2, but which falls off a cliff rapidly with anything more modern than around 2010 or so. The tech is equivalent of cutting edge when TF2 was released (fall 2007).

What to use instead is entirely dependant on your budget and comfort zone. I am a devoted fan of the "best GPU for your money" charts that Tom's Hardware releases and updates monthly: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... ,3107.html
-Boss Llama

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:41 am

Yeah that's what i thought too. It looked like one of those "Ehh it's in there just to say there is a graphics card".
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:22 am

The main thing to do when picking a new card (other than staying w/i your budget, obviously) is to match it with the rest of your system. A ridiculously powerful card in an underpowered system is a waste of money, just as an underpowered card in an otherwise monster of a system is.

The FX 6200 is a good CPU, and should be paired with a good card. If practical, I would suggest something in the range of a GTX 660 Ti or a 670, or in AMDese perhaps a 7870 or 7950.
-Boss Llama

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:33 am

Not to derail the thread but here goes. From the sounds of it you are looking at pre-built systems. If this is the case have you thought about building your own and then you don't have to worry about upgrading right away and can build right to a budget and maximize you bang to buck ratio.

Just a thought. There are quite a few of us here that like to help build systems and could walk you though everything if you are uncomfortable with it.

Disregard if I'm way off base here :)
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:44 am

Mortis462 wrote:Not to derail the thread but here goes. From the sounds of it you are looking at pre-built systems. If this is the case have you thought about building your own and then you don't have to worry about upgrading right away and can build right to a budget and maximize you bang to buck ratio.

Just a thought. There are quite a few of us here that like to help build systems and could walk you though everything if you are uncomfortable with it.

Disregard if I'm way off base here :)
Yeah, when I say I'm looking at, i mean my family/brother. He needs a new computer, and doesn't really need anything to hardcore. Though since I am going to be around it sometimes, I don't think i could stand watching him play anything at 20 fps like i had to for a while. I plan on building my own this summer, or at least trying to :P .

Also, really noobish question but: It lists this, AMD 6-Core FX-6200 Processor with AMD Radeon HD 7570 dedicated graphics, as the processor, but further down it lists the Radeon 7570 again. That's just listing the same thing twice right?
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 pm

Thought on AMD Radeon HD 7770? Benchmark scores are good enough for me I'd say, but thats all i got.
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm

A 7770 is by no means a bad card, but it isn't really a modern one either. If he isn't playing newer games, your brother should be fine with it. If he is, he's going to need something better.
-Boss Llama

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Alizée Fan wrote:A 7770 is by no means a bad card, but it isn't really a modern one either. If he isn't playing newer games, your brother should be fine with it. If he is, he's going to need something better.
Hmm, by if he wants to, would it be physically impossible or would it just be like 20 fps?
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

NerevarineKing
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by NerevarineKing » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 pm

For some perspective, I have a Radeon HD 5750 and I can run most games on high settings at good framerates. Based on how AMD names their cards, yours would be a bit better
Warpath Cup '12- [ICU] Inner Children Unleashed (Champions!)
Villympics '12- [USAHB] USA Handbrake
The Ville Cup '12- [SOLTAN] Solis Tanquam
Warpath Loves Dustbowl '13- \SOBAD/
The Ville Cup '14- GCI| Guild of Calamitous Intent

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:18 pm

Final thing, Radeon Hd 7770 vs. GeForce GTX 650. The 7770 is cheaper, but has a high benchmark I saw/think. Is that right? Or Am i missing something.
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
#HL3 TVC '13
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Those two cards are approximately equivalent in performance. a 650 Ti would be slightly better, and a normal 650 would be approximately the same or slightly worse. If the choice is between them, go with the one that fits your budget or company preference better, and you'll be set. With similar cards from different chipmakers, a given benchmark usually is affected more by what the programmers of that benchmark used when the designed the program, rather than plain and simple superiority. Things that prefer clockspeed to cores, or vice versa, stuff like that.
-Boss Llama