Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Google Chrome instability

Post by Will T. » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 pm

A few weeks ago my comp was attacked by one of those super-aggressive bad web links, which scrambled my user settings in Google Chrome - reset my homepage, redirected a lot of commands to load some random search engine I've never heard of, etc. I cleaned everything up pretty quickly, but Chrome was not unaffected: it now crashes almost 100% of the time when starting up (it will appear to do nothing on first startup, then when I try to open it again it comes up with the "Chrome did not shut down correctly" message), and it will ocasionally crash to desktop while I'm browsing. I've tried reinstalling it twice, but it made no difference. It should be noted that I did not uninstall it when reinstalling - just re-ran the installer.

Should I just wipe Chrome entirely and install it clean? How can I save my bookmarks, new tab page, and other personal stuff if I choose to do that, if I can at all? I can't figure out how to export/import bookmarks in Chrome. Is there a different solution that doesn't require removing it and restarting from the beginning?

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Google Chrome instability

Post by Uber! » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 pm

A clean re install would be best. To back-up bookmarks, type "chrome://bookmarks/#1" (no quotes) in the address bar. Then click "Organize", then "Export Bookmarks to HTML File". To import bookmarks you do the same thing but click "Import Bookmarks From HTML File" instead. I'm not sure about the stuff on the new tab page. Those are just links to websites or web apps so you could probably get those back easy. I don't know a way to recover saved passwords.
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

Fingolfin
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Fingolfin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:18 pm

If you're like me and let Google manage your life, you can "sync" all your bookmarks and extensions. Sign in to your Google account under the options menu. In the settings tab the first option should be something about sync options, and you can set what it saves. Then just fresh install and sign back in. Now whenever you log into a Chrome browser it will pull all your bookmarks and settings and such with you (it WON'T delete them if you sign out, I don't think).

Of course there are concerns about Google tracking everything you do, etc., etc., but I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords.
"...and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came."

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am

Fingolfin wrote: I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am

Plinko wrote:
google will show me the way and the light...
...but most especially the way
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

FragFailure
TVB Leadership
TVB Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by FragFailure » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:13 pm

I just switched from Firefox to Chrome. The difference is astounding!
TVB Founder - Established in September 2001

Carrying 4,219 high quality posts over from the old board

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 pm

This is slightly unrelated but chrome to me is increasingly unstable. I originally switched off of firefox because of instability with it, but Chrome has been crashing for me more and more - and on multiple machines.

The Domer
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by The Domer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:07 pm

FragFailure wrote:I just switched from Firefox to Chrome. The difference is astounding!
I used to run Firefox too. Chrome is noticeably faster and I like the minimalist feel.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:15 pm

To keep this train derailed, I've never had a problem with Chrome.
Although I still have to use IE for a few sites I visit, due to the government not wanting to improve it's self.

Larry
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Plinko wrote:
I had a friend that switched from IE to Chrome after like forever, his face looked like he just discovered El Dorado. I told him "Come my child, let the Google into your life, don't fight it."
Thanks to Seagreens for the spiffy banner!
VIEW CONTENT:
RIP Mr. Laptop 5/21/13
USAHB-Team Hand Brake 2012 Villy-Stuff
#HL3 TVC '13
FAIL Warpath Cup 2012-Proud to FAIL
Heck's Kitchen 2011

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Well today I finally got fed up with Chrome's crashing and uninstalled/reinstalled it (with much struggling, as apparently whatever the attack-page planted in it wasn't about to let go without a fight). At the same moment that Chrome was uninstalled, MSE immediately started reporting several instances of adware on my system that it had not previously been able to find. Coincidence?

Hopefully things will be running smoothly now with a clean install. I didn't even lose my bookmarks or saved passwords! :)

Will T.
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Will T. » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Two weeks later ...

At first, doing a clean install of Chrome seemed to improve things. However, it has quickly escalated back to - and beyond - its original level of crashiness. I'm lucky if I can get through 15 minutes without it crashing. It even crashes while just idly displaying a webpage.

Is this a fatal bug that Google is somehow too blind to notice, or is this something I can correct on my end? I'm tempted to switch browsers altogether at this point, except that the alternatives are still awful for their own reasons (Firefox lacks vital features I use regularly, and Opera is the most sluggish thing I've ever seen; never mind IE or Safari).

Any recommendations for my next course of action?

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:15 pm

I have no idea Will. Maybe there might be conflicting software on your computer. Type "about:conflicts" in the address bar and see if it finds anything. Other than that, I got nothing.
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:23 pm

http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/enable-logging

You'll need to create a shortcut, then add the logging flags to the end in the Target area of the shortcuts properties page.
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\Application\chrome.exe" --enable-logging --v=1

I'm using Chrome Canary here, the development build of chrome. You might try that on it's own instead. The log file will get pumped out at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome SxS\User Data\chrome_debug.log and then you can look at it with an editor to see where it choked.
Last edited by The Spanish Inquisition on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:27 pm

The one time I ever installed Chrome, it BSOD'd my system and corrupted my OS within a day, requiring a full new Windows installation. That was when Crome was still new, so I should give it another try, but I'm leery of it. Dunno if there is some random glitchy incompatibility with an obscure piece of hardware, or just bad luck.
-Boss Llama