darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Frame Rate Problem

Post by darklin0 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 am

Currently I have been suffering from severe frame rate drops (usually at 60, now at 15-20) from games I have never had problems with. I have changed the settings from high to low for multiple games and it makes no difference. It started to happened earlier this week and I have no idea what is causing it.

I have tried multiple things and out of frustration I did a clean install of windows last night and brought it back up to speed but my problem is still there.
I am out of ideas and I am wondering if you guys have any advice on what to do. Currently I am monitoring for overheating.

Some system specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5CPU @ 2.13GHz 2.13GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

System Typed: 64-bit Operating System

Graphics card NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 650M
Queen of the We Hate Mateo Club. Co-Captain: Zookie
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Frame Rate Problem

Post by darklin0 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Been running different games most of the day and my PC's temperatures were good, no overheating. Many games suffered from the problem, even things like Binding of Isaac and Cave Story+. I did notice that all of the Source Engine games ran completely fine. I was at 50-60 while playing TF2 with minor tearing and the Portal games ran without any problems. I am really confused by all this, its like Valve is sabotaging my other games for a complete monopoly of playtime. DUN DUN DUUUUUN.
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

Uber!
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Uber! » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Maybe is a problem with drivers? Have you updated your video card drivers lately?
Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for sights unseen
May your love never end
And if you need a friend
There's a seat here alongside me

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by darklin0 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Uber! wrote:Maybe is a problem with drivers? Have you updated your video card drivers lately?
Yup, nothing is out of date. I am thinking it is a hardware problem now but I first have to figure out what before I decide to replace anything.
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 pm

darklin0 wrote:
Uber! wrote:Maybe is a problem with drivers? Have you updated your video card drivers lately?
Yup, nothing is out of date. I am thinking it is a hardware problem now but I first have to figure out what before I decide to replace anything.
do you have a backup or old video card to try to swap out? otherwise it could be pretty hard to figure out.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Earthworm James
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Earthworm James » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

check/adjust vertical sync, buffering & advanced graphics options?

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by darklin0 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Gizanked wrote:
darklin0 wrote:
do you have a backup or old video card to try to swap out? otherwise it could be pretty hard to figure out.
No but I do have a friend with a similar model I can ask for some help.
Earthworm James wrote:check/adjust vertical sync, buffering & advanced graphics options?
Yep, I have tried different settings from high to low. The problem persists no matter the setting and what is on or off.

Peahats suggested to Verify the game cache and it has worked so far for Borderlands 2. Trying it now for other games.
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Stupid solution here, but just in case, when was the last time you dusted off your video card and fans? Most video cards will slow down if dust is allowed to build up. I had this issue somewhat recently and took a can of air to my fans, sped everything up considerably.

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:14 pm

darklin0 wrote: Peahats suggested to Verify the game cache and it has worked so far for Borderlands 2. Trying it now for other games.
Glad it worked, steam will sometimes just kinda break your games, guess that's why they have that feature.
Zork Nemesis wrote:Stupid solution here, but just in case, when was the last time you dusted off your video card and fans? Most video cards will slow down if dust is allowed to build up. I had this issue somewhat recently and took a can of air to my fans, sped everything up considerably.
That's just really good advice in general, you don't wanna end up like me and have a broken gpu fan for 4 weeks.

darklin0
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by darklin0 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Zork Nemesis wrote:Stupid solution here, but just in case, when was the last time you dusted off your video card and fans? Most video cards will slow down if dust is allowed to build up. I had this issue somewhat recently and took a can of air to my fans, sped everything up considerably.
That was one of the first things I tried, I did find a random dust bunny in a vent.
Peahats wrote:
darklin0 wrote: Peahats suggested to Verify the game cache and it has worked so far for Borderlands 2. Trying it now for other games.
Glad it worked, steam will sometimes just kinda break your games, guess that's why they have that feature.
Yup, I was beginning to lose hope. A replacement GPU would only be possible in 6 months. Dx
[NOS] // <CDi>
[USAHB] // (GOD)
CCCP