Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Mechanical Keyboards

Post by Gizanked » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm

So my wife tells me I need a new keyboard because the one I have is " old and disgusting" . It is an amazingly basic logitech sk-2920 if I am reading my label correctly. I was initially reluctant to replace a piece of equipment that I enjoy so much and is still working well for my needs. Then I got to thinking... UPGRADE!

I've seen the mechanical keyboards around and it got my interest. Anyone have one? recommend one? any comments between which type of switch is best for gaming ? I have no major electronics stores near me so going to a best buy or something to try one out is not an option. This is going to be an online purchase so I'd rather not have to deal with return shipping for something I don't like.

Brands I've used and like are logitech, razer, coolermaster. If there is a good one for a decent price I will probably be willing to break out and try new brands.
http://www.tf2items.com/id/evagizanked
the artist formerly known as Replica

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Post by Mortis462 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm

I've been drooling over mechanicals for awhile now. I don't have one yet but I'm close to getting one myself. I have been looking at either a Das Keyboard, Checkm8 has one of those. The one that really has my interest now is a company I have never heard of but looks promising, Roccat. I'm waiting for them to release their mechanical before I figure out what I wanna end up purchasing.

I think JD has a mechanical Corsair keyboard but I'm not 100% sure on that, might hit m8 up and take a peek at Roccat.

...That was a lot of talking just to say check out Roccat and talk to Checkm8...
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Das Keyboard thoughts...

It's heavy. I did not expect it to be the, I'd say, 2.5-3.5 lbs that it is. The weight comes from its thickness rather than its width. It's about the width of a standard keyboard but it's thicker than any keyboard that I have owned previously.

Key response time is what your buying it for which it does quite well. As for the clickity clackity of the keys, you might wake the baby up typing. It's loud and I am a light typist. I do not hit the keys hard but people in the other room think I am. There is a function key between the windows and ctrl key but I am used to macs and this does not bother me but it may take some time getting used to.

For the most part, I enjoy it. It was an expensive little venture but I am glad I have a quality keyboard that could knock out a giant! I feel like this thing will last long because its built pretty sturdy and tough.

My only regret, I bought the glossy finish and I hate, hate, hate smudges. It was a bad choice but I clean it like a mofo!

BTW, I chose the one with characters. A keyboard without characters on it would drive me crazy!

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:33 pm

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

The model M is still made, under a different name.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Soltan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Soltan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Mechanical keyboards are the ultimate screw you for work (annoy your neighbor). I've been using in-ear monitors for years so don't care anymore.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Here is a pretty thorough guide on the subject:
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mecha ... oard-guide

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 am

hmmm seems like witchcraft to me
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

OldMan
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OldMan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:33 am

You can pick up IBM 5150 keyboards in a lot of places. They don't have all the new "fancy" keys on them, but for typing/gaming they are the best keyboard out there. You can clean them by putting them under a running shower for a while and then letting them dry out. They weigh about 60 pounds and are made of cast iron. Yea I know it's the old style 5-pin connector, but they make a device to plug it into modern computers. It is "old school" like you have never experienced, but it's a typists dream of a keyboard. I still have one I use on my WindowsXP computer that is my media server/gamer backup and it's been going strong with no signs of wear. It is a keyboard I got around 1990 and it's been in use almost every day since then.

I have large hands and I don't use a traditional "WASD" set up when I play my FPS games and the large keys and thickness of these keyboards work well with my setup.

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:22 pm

So I recently upgraded again and decided to go with a partially mechanical keyboard. All of the letters are mechanical but all others are still dome. I've been quite pleased with it's performance and it's super easy to clean.

Specific model:
Corsair Vengeance K60 Performance FPS Cherry MX Red Mechanical 20 Key Rollover Gaming Keyboard USB (Part#: CH-9000004-NA)

(edited to add in a link for you http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-k60-pe ... board.html 0

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am

So i ended up going with an AZiO levetron mech 5. There were some features i decided I didn't need like the backlit keys and this had some of the things that I think I wanted after checking reviews.

It had the cherry mx black switches and a customizable 6 key dpad. The movable/ removable 10 key seemed kinda neat to me as far as getting more keys closer to my keyboard hand. I'll be sure to let everyone know how I like it once it gets delivered.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:43 am

The customization on that looks pretty sweet!

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:36 pm

BETTEH
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BETTEH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Gizanked wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823839012

link for lazy people
VIEW CONTENT:
2004 DOD Ville Cup Champs - Hobo Strike Squad
Fanciful Unicorn! 2011 Warpath Cup + Villympics Champs.

Gizanked
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gizanked » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Isn't it glorious?

Cat Square
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cat Square » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Whoa, that's pure insanity.

Those movable number keys up top look like they'd be difficult to hit with any kind of consistency.
Do you like having the keys on the left side?

I'm designing a gaming keypad myself, and I've scrapped designs that had both of those elements (left buttons and an extra row of numbers above the normal 1234) because I didn't like how they felt.