M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

WiFi repeater, do they work?

Post by M_G_P » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

So before new year the wifi in my room wasnt great but my laptop held a good signal my phone held an ok signal now my laptop struggles to hold a signal my phone not at all.

I have been looking online for tips and they say get a wifi repeater my mate reckons they are a scam an do nothing my brother doesnt think it would do much good.

so if anyone has got one or use to have one or no more bout them give me a quick bit of help do they work and would getting one do some good in helping me hold a signal in my room?

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: WiFi repeater, do they work?

Post by Jesus_Faction » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:52 pm

They work if you set them up properly. You could use an old router as one.

M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M_G_P » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:54 pm

how would you set up an old router to do this?

OmgOhnoes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by OmgOhnoes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:33 pm

If it doesn't have built in support for it you can usually install a custom firmware like DD-WRT and Tomato. They both have that functionality and fairly robust end user support.

M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M_G_P » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm

:lol: sounds a little complicated for me to set up ill just stick to buying a wifi repeater

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Before you do that:

What model is your current router?
I assume you cannot physically relocate it in the house to provide better coverage?
Is it possible to run an ethernet cable between the router and your room?

M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M_G_P » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:24 pm

dunno bout the model it was provided to us from our provider would check but its in parents bedroom an its currently 1am so they asleep it could be moved but parents wont allow it a cable does already run to my room providing wired connection for my xbox pc an sisters pc

CoyoteCreed
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CoyoteCreed » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:51 pm

The one instance where I had to use a wireless repeater, it did its job. However, since it sounds like you already have a wired connection for multiple devices in your room, it might be easier to turn an old router into a wireless access point inside your room. On many routers, you can do that just by changing existing settings without having to install new firmware.
Banner by some other Villun

Warpath Cup '12 | Inner Children Unleashed | Champions
Villympics '12 | ACME Villympic Team (Captain) | Champions
VC '12 | Solis Tanquam
D<3W '13 | SOBAD
VC '13 | Ville Cuppin' Cakes (Captain)
VC '14 | Carpetbaggers | Champions

eVa

Jesus_Faction
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Jesus_Faction » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm

If you already have wired access in your room just get a switch and wire out from that

M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M_G_P » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:00 pm

ill look in the loft over next few days see if i can find one however would anyone be able to provide an idiots guide to do this

bluntspoon
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by bluntspoon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm

M_G_P wrote:ill look in the loft over next few days see if i can find one however would anyone be able to provide an idiots guide to do this
1.Plug power for switch into wall
2.Insert current cable into switch
3.Insert cables from devices into switch.

CoyoteCreed
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by CoyoteCreed » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 pm

A wired connection would be a bit inconvenient for the phone. There's a legitimate reason to still set up a wireless access point.

Not quite an idiot's guide, but the comment section seems to approve this one: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233
Banner by some other Villun

Warpath Cup '12 | Inner Children Unleashed | Champions
Villympics '12 | ACME Villympic Team (Captain) | Champions
VC '12 | Solis Tanquam
D<3W '13 | SOBAD
VC '13 | Ville Cuppin' Cakes (Captain)
VC '14 | Carpetbaggers | Champions

eVa

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:13 am

CoyoteCreed wrote:However, since it sounds like you already have a wired connection for multiple devices in your room, it might be easier to turn an old router into a wireless access point inside your room. On many routers, you can do that just by changing existing settings without having to install new firmware.
This, exactly this. You don't need a "wireless repeater" you just need a "wireless access point" that will connect to the existing ethernet cable you have run to your room for the Xbox.

Try to find an old unused (but still working) wireless router from family or friend. Heck, you can probably find a cheap LInksys WRT54G or something on the equivalent of Craigslist or eBay for 20 bucks. (WRT54GL is the old standby of cheap reliable routers.)

Once you think you have located one let us know the model and we'll easily be able to walk you through switching it to WAP mode (instead of router mode) so you can put it in your room.

M_G_P
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M_G_P » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 am

Flash wrote:
CoyoteCreed wrote:However, since it sounds like you already have a wired connection for multiple devices in your room, it might be easier to turn an old router into a wireless access point inside your room. On many routers, you can do that just by changing existing settings without having to install new firmware.
This, exactly this. You don't need a "wireless repeater" you just need a "wireless access point" that will connect to the existing ethernet cable you have run to your room for the Xbox.

Try to find an old unused (but still working) wireless router from family or friend. Heck, you can probably find a cheap LInksys WRT54G or something on the equivalent of Craigslist or eBay for 20 bucks. (WRT54GL is the old standby of cheap reliable routers.)

Once you think you have located one let us know the model and we'll easily be able to walk you through switching it to WAP mode (instead of router mode) so you can put it in your room.
i have managed to obtain a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router i have just the router and power supply no cd tho :(

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:37 pm

You won't need the CD. Can you check and see which hardware revision you have? http://www.dlink.com/us/en/popups/find-hardware-version This will be needed when figuring out if you have the latest firmware.

*Router will refer to the current router in your parents room.
*D-Link will refer to the new one we're setting up in your room.

Things you'll need as we go forward:
+ An ethernet cable to connect your laptop directly to the D-Link for setup. (Do all of the setup with a hard wire, don't switch to wireless until we are done.)
+ The network settings that your current router is handing out to your laptop (Router IP, subnet mask, and what IP is assigned to your laptop).
+ You'll need to decide: Do you want your new bedroom wireless network on the D-Link to be setup so only your devices connect to it? Or do you want to set it up so that any devices in your house can roam onto it for a better connection? (This will decide if we setup the D-Link with the same Wireless SSID Network Name/encryption key as the old router or if we give it a different name.)