Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: I need some help!

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 am

With modern PSUs you are allowed to add up rails to get the desired amperage. It's not as optimal of a solution as a single +12V rail PSU, but it is doable.

My old Antec 650 had 3 +12V rails. None of them had enough amperage individually to feed my g80 8800, but by teaming two of them it was kept fed.

My current Seasonic gold 650 only has 1 rail. No issues with it, so far.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:10 am

While I only suggest a 750w because that is my personal preference. At one time I was also driving a 6disk sata raid system, 6 extra fans, 3gpus. It just allows you do eliminate power requirements on your build if you are someone who likes to tinker.

The 600w Alizee linked to looks good. I believe I'm using Thermaltakes. It's likely your vid card will work fine afterwards. Summer heat, bad ventilation, even degraded components on your mobo perhaps can change the power draw signature. Software driver updates can also cause more power usage, or using beta drivers.

About installing and taking out vid cards:
Make sure the power cord is detached or the switch to the PS is turned off. Both the gpu and motherboard have capacitors that keep the boards charged for a few seconds after you shut power off. During this time if you are putting in or taking out a vid card you're increasing your chances of blowing your vid card or the pci slot. I used to see people (self included) whip their vid cards in and out of a charged mobo and then wonder why it only works in 640x480 res only now. When you are testing different hardware combinations to rule out a faulty component it is sometimes easy to forget to slow down. Many vid cards are broken this way when I suspect there was really nothing wrong with them in the first place.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I'm gonna purchase the PSU Alizee linked and see if that fixes the issue, if not I can always RMA my 450.

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: [UPDATE] I need some help!

Post by Peahats » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:44 pm

I guess I can't have nice things!

After buying the PSU Alizee linked , I was still having the same issues. The screen would randomly go black, “No Video” would appear, the sound would stutter, and the only way to return the computer to normal was to restart it.

I cleaned out the card with compressed air and reinstalled it. It worked for a couple days, but the problem came back. I went ahead and reinstalled windows completely to make sure it was not my drivers and the issue still persists. I even tried running the computer on mobo graphics with the GPU out of the case and it even occurred then! I disabled the Nvidia high definition audio drivers and controller.(I saw that it was causing black screens for other people and since I'm using VGA they don't matter anyways.) but that has not fixed it.

Also my GPU fan would not spin at startup, most of the time it would spin after having the computer on for a while. The GPU temp at this time is around 60 to 80 celsius idle. So, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to RMA that.

Is it possible that my monitor or VGA cable is to blame? I posted before that my monitor cord was not the correct voltage. Since the PSU came with its own power cord I was able to match the monitor with a cord that has the correct voltage, but that did nothing.

Maybe my motherboard is bad? Maybe it's still a driver issue? This problem is really getting on my nerves and have no idea what's causing it. :wall:

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:36 pm

Sounds like the GPU. It's overheating because its fan isn't working.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Peahats wrote:I guess I can't have nice things!
This problem is really getting on my nerves and have no idea what's causing it. :wall:

Here's why------------->
VIEW CONTENT:
Cpt._Keyes

Spoiled to protect the innocent Coast protector.

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 pm

@Clay,

That would be thd most obvious answer, but why would it occur while i was running onboard graphics?

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:02 am

Alternately, your mobo could be failing. I see that you're using an nforce 600 series chipset in your mobo. They were/are widely prone to failure from glassification of the chipset's bumps. But really, I'd try to RMA the graphics card first if it has an obvious issue like the fan not spinning.