IrkedScientist
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

DisplayPort

Post by IrkedScientist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:01 pm

The grand plan is to build a new computer in the near future. I am curious about DisplayPort. Especially the 1.2 spec allowing daisy-chaining DisplayPort Monitors. Currently I have an nVidia card with two DVI monitors. The idea would be to eventually get a 3rd monitor that is DisplayPort and run it in the center. I would appreciate any comments you have regarding experience (good, bad, otherwise) with DisplayPort. Obviously I will be mixing DisplayPort with DVI. Has anyone daisy-chained a couple DisplayPort monitors? Go with nVidia? Go with AMD? Etc., etc., etc.
C Co. 1st Engr. Bn. 1st ID "Always First" 1993-1994
C Co. 44th Engr. Bn. 2nd ID "Second to None" 1995
Contents of My Backpack

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: DisplayPort

Post by Checkm8 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:22 pm

I use the display port with my HIS HD6950 and I run 3 20"monitors (2 DVI, 1 display port) with a native resolution of 4800 x 900. It's fantastic when you are multitasking between things. I write, research, and have other programs running on multiple screens for ease of visibility and accessibility. I also play my games (TF2, L4D2) with a 4800 x 900 resolution. The wider field of view makes it easier for the peripheral view.

So, I enjoy it and it works very well. This is my second ATI/AMD card that I have done this with and, man, once you have so much space you miss it when you have to run on a single monitor again.

I do not know about nVidia, so , no opinion there.