Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Building a new computer

Post by Clay Pigeon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:52 pm

So I was putting together my new build, and I was a bit rusty. I asked for advice. Here is what I got.
MMX wrote: I'd assemble the mainboard first outside of the case.

so unpack the mainboard and place it on to the box of the mainboard.
Install the RAM and CPU (without fan)
Now install the fan make sure the RAM is already installed. (My fan blocks the access to the ram modules. figured that out after the fan was mounted :D)

mount the PSU into the case
mount the mainboard into the case

All other devices, Hard drive Optical drives and expansion cards (video card)
Wire the components together.

If you want more space to work you can also start to wire the components while you install one by one into the case but it might have the draw back that you might have to rewire them since it might prevent you from mounting some other components into the system.

My learning was the fan and RAM issue :D
To wire up the components wasn't really difficult but i spend the most time with it. since i wanted to have as much wires behind the mainboard mounting plate. The cleaner you wire the system the better the airflow the better the cooling will be ;)
Its pretty good advice. It didn't work 100 percent for me. Because of the mounting mechanism of my hsf combined with my case's design I decided to mount the mobo first so I could thread the bolts and nuts together using the rear access of my mobo tray.

Always remember to put in your mobo's rear IO panel cover before your mobo. I forgot and had to dismount and move my mobo to get it in, and then go through the pain of remounting it after I had connected all the wiring.

Anyways , thanks for the advice MMX.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar