chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

new harddrive installation question

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm a retard when it comes to updating parts on my computer, Its probably easier than I am making it. Right now I have a harddrive which works fine but is starting to fill up.. So I bought a new velociraptor harddrive which I would like to make my c:/ main drive. I am running Windows 7 64. So I am looking @ my motherboard and see that the origional harddrive is plugged into sata2_0. My question is: how do I set up the new drives? do I plug the new velociraptor(faster drive) into SATA2_0 and plug my old drive into STATA2_1? .. SInce I already have windows on my older harddrive, will this cause problems since it wont be the main drive anymore? I dont want to lose stuff off my origional harddrive...
Is there something that I need to take into account before doing this? something I'm missing?

Thanks, Chaffe

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: new harddrive installation question

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:41 pm

I don't see the point in spending so much more on a Velociraptor drive :(
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 am

Thanks for the link... I want to do a fresh install of windows on the new drive.. will my old drive be able to be used as D:? and not sure on where to plug it in on the mother board so everything will be ok... thanks. blah, It wasnt that much more and I wanted to go faster, no big deal...

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:28 am

Yeah, a drive that fast definitely use it for your OS, will boot faster.
Up to you if you put Steam on the same drive for faster load times, but smaller space.

You can certainly use the older drive as a secondary drive, but note that if you install an OS on the new drive, you'll have to choose which of them to boot every start up unless you feel like editing the boot.ini file, or w/e it's called on Win7 machines.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Magician's Assistant
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Magician's Assistant » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 am

chaffe[seagreens] wrote:Thanks for the link... I want to do a fresh install of windows on the new drive.. will my old drive be able to be used as D:? and not sure on where to plug it in on the mother board so everything will be ok... thanks. blah, It wasnt that much more and I wanted to go faster, no big deal...

I would make sure you have a backup of every IMPORTANT file on your current hardrive, to either a disk or a USB.
I would then:
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the Old harddrive from the motherboard.
3. Plug the new drive in. I do not believe it matters which SATA port you use. I have never had an issue, but if i was going to be safe, rather than sorry I would use SATA2_0.
4. Install windows on the new drive and boot into the system and make sure everything works so far.
5. Turn the computer off and then plug the Old drive into an SATA port.

You computer should boot up using the OS on the new hard drive while retaining all of the files on the old hardrive. If the computer trys to boot into the old OS you may have to play around in bios with the drive boot order.

Chaka of the Pakuni
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Chaka of the Pakuni » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 pm

One_Medic_Army wrote: You can certainly use the older drive as a secondary drive, but note that if you install an OS on the new drive, you'll have to choose which of them to boot every start up unless you feel like editing the boot.ini file, or w/e it's called on Win7 machines.
Having an OS installed on two drives shouldn't be a problem. He should be able to set the boot sequence in his BIOS. I currently have two drives in my system both with Win7 installed and this is how I boot to the correct drive.
Chuck Chuck bo buck, banana fana fo....

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Chaka of the Pakuni wrote:
One_Medic_Army wrote: You can certainly use the older drive as a secondary drive, but note that if you install an OS on the new drive, you'll have to choose which of them to boot every start up unless you feel like editing the boot.ini file, or w/e it's called on Win7 machines.
Having an OS installed on two drives shouldn't be a problem. He should be able to set the boot sequence in his BIOS. I currently have two drives in my system both with Win7 installed and this is how I boot to the correct drive.
I've done the same, and depending on how you do the install, you may have Windows come up and ask for your choice. I didn't feel like getting into different install methods and the complications therein.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

chaffe[seagreens]
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by chaffe[seagreens] » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:57 pm

thanks for all the help... waiting for my memory to arrive and will install everything all @ once...