A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Kaladran
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Laptop Opinions

Post by Kaladran » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm

I know, I know... this is probably one of the most asked questions, but I'm so out of date with current PC hardware I'm having trouble telling if this laptop is a good deal or not. Pretty much I'm looking for something that can is good for sitting in front of the TV and to take with me on the occasional trip. I won't be playing the the latest and greatest games, but I would like to be able to play the occasional game or two. The only "new" game I can see myself playing on this would be Heroes of Might and Magic 6, all other gaming would probably stay on my desktop.

So what do people think?

Price - $685.99 CAD

Inspiron 14R:
Inspiron 14 Notebook

Processor:
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

Operating System:
Genuine Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit, English

Memory:
4GB Shared Single Channel DDR3 Memory

Hard Drive:
500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Video Card:
AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M (64-bit) 1GB Graphic

CD ROM/DVD ROM:
8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

Monitor:
14.0" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™

Network Card:
Integrated 10/100 Network Card

Sound:
HD Audio 2.0 Support SRS™ Premium Sound

Wireless:
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030, 1x2 bgn + Bluetooth

Battery:
48 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

bullet4o1
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Laptop Opinions

Post by bullet4o1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:12 pm

Looks good to me. Sandy Bridge and 6470 graphics. That should play most of the newest games on medium or low settings. That's about the same that I had my brother get for a gaming laptop.
Intel I7 860 | Intel Board | 8GB DDR3 PC1600 | MSI HD5770 Juniper XT | 32 GB SSD | 4.25 TB's and counting!!

ketchuo
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by ketchuo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:51 am

everything looks great, so I would go for it, and it does go for a good price. I've been using a 450 gb hard drive when I first got my computer and im still at 200+ gb

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:39 am

6470 is pretty weak, It only has 160 stream processors (divide by 5 to get the approximate # of nvidia pipeline equivalence, or 32 nvidia pipelines).

You'd be better off going with a notebook powered by an AMD A-series APU if you plan on gaming and don't want to spring for high-end dedicated graphics.* The A8 laptops have 400 stream processors or the equivalent of 80 nvidia pipelines. Not really powerful enough to play crysis, but enough for most less demanding games, including source with the eye candy on.

See: http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/NOTEBOOK ... eam.aspx#3

*avoid toshiba, panasonic and sony, they've opted out of AMD's driver program so you can't get driver updates from AMD for those brands, you have to go through the laptop manufacturer.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:42 am

Specs look decent, laptop choice is mostly about what you want to do with the machine.
Is it s gaming machine that'll be sitting on a table?
Is it a portable machine that'll be sitting in your bag all the time?
Will you be watching movies/shows on it?

Apart from that you didn't list if it's Vista of 7 (assuming it's 7, avoid Vista)
Nor did you list the manufacturer, which is also important, depending if you want cheap or well built and durable.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:03 pm

If you're going to get a Dell, check out the Dell refurbs. You can spend about half as much and still get a fantastic warranty, so if it breaks you can get it repaired or get a brand new one.

That being said, I dislike Dell.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:05 pm

It seems a bit expensive if you ask me.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:10 pm

metacide wrote:If you're going to get a Dell, check out the Dell refurbs. You can spend about half as much and still get a fantastic warranty, so if it breaks you can get it repaired or get a brand new one.

That being said, I dislike Dell.
Never get a refurb laptop.
Too many things on any computer system are cumulative and aren't readily noticeable until something fails. You never know if you're getting the laptop someone practiced overclocking on and the CPU is only a couple days from exploding, and has consistently lower speeds from wear.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:29 pm

One_Medic_Army wrote: Never get a refurb laptop.
Too many things on any computer system are cumulative and aren't readily noticeable until something fails. You never know if you're getting the laptop someone practiced overclocking on and the CPU is only a couple days from exploding, and has consistently lower speeds from wear.
Disagreement. Dislike of Dell aside, I've picked up a few of these for business purposes. We get the warranty that will replace the laptops for free even if you run them over with your car (literally). We have only had cause to return one (it was run over by a car), the others are working splendidly.

Refurbs have a bad rep, but the quality team at Dell is apparently very much on the ball.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Conversely my dad got a refurb'd HP laptop at Fry's (Don't get me started), which was a pile of crap at the onset, until when he was done making bad decisions with it the OS was mostly nuked and it took 10minutes to open a folder.
I'm not sure how much of it was due to him being stupid with the machine, how much was due to the (ab)use of the previous owner, and how much I can blame HP for; but overall it was not a good experience for anyone.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Kaladran
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Kaladran » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks for the help... now I'm even more conflicted. I was really only looking at Dell because my GF's company has an employee purchase plan with them so there was a "slight" discount on the laptop. But if I can find something better and cheaper elsewhere I won't complain. I've also been playing around on Lenovo's site, but really I'm just unsure of what to take.

Really it does not need to be a gaming powerhouse, if it can play current games on medium settings then I'm happy. It won't be going out on my daily commute, but I probably would take it with me on vacation, so I don't want it to be a brick.

My price limit would be $750 - 800 tax incl.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:11 pm

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+Lapt ... Id=2881042

449.99 usd at bestbuy in the USA. I dunno if they have bestbuy in Canada, but it has a discrete 6650 and an A6 quadcore, which has an on-chip gpu that can crossfire with the discrete card.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Katotsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Katotsu » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:05 am

My experience with ASUS has made me decide to not get a laptop from them again. In under a year the headphones/mic ports snapped, pushing them out of place and unusuable. After a year of not caring to send it in the adapter died. I sent it in, saying it had a problem with the ports, the charger was dead and it had an overheating problem. Got it back, the first two were fixed but less than 2 months later the charger plugin started being faulty. Turns out the heating problem wasn't gone, and the solder holding the charger plugin had melted away. My dad fixed it, and did a better job than whatever did the solder in the first place.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:37 am

I've got an ASUS laptop (big honkin' gaming laptop) I've been using for a couple years now, I can say that aside from one thing the computer's in great shape (there's a loose connection in the headset port that gives false-on readings, simply put the actual speakers won't come on because the computer thinks there's headphones plugged in).
Tech support is, however, a crap-shoot. Not that I expected much better from a company based in Taiwan though.

Apart from that one issue it's a great laptop that's lasted well, no cracks in the casing and everything's still solid and working just fine.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Deslock
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Deslock » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 am

Newegg has An Acer that appears to be in your price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834215119

However , if you ever feel the need to goto extremes, take a look at this monster: :shock: :shock:

http://www.maingear.com/custom/notebook ... /index.php

Take a look at the tech specs. This "laptop" would put most desktop systems to shame.
Oh, and have about $5500 in pocket change to get this. :shock: :shock:
Dog isn't Evil, he's Canadian. There's a difference. :lol:
CV 6 USS Enterprise 12 May 1938 - 17 February 1947
CVN 65 USS Enterprise 25 November 1961 - 1 December 2012
CVN 80 USS Enterprise 2025