regis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Remote Desktop Connection

Post by regis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:50 pm

I'm trying to setup an remote connection so I can check files that are at my home PC from my work one.
I've check with various only guides, which mostly give me the same info. But none have been able to get me connected.

What I've done in so far: Setup an account with www.DynDNS.org so that my Comcast IP is known as an web address (ie: theville.org).
Router is set to forward anything on the RDC port to a static IP which is the machine I've setup with that address. My firewall is set to allow RDC to accept incoming connectons.

I have tried every different way of logging in too (using host\username - password, username - password... etc)

The problem occurs when I'm outside of my home network. I try the connect via the wed addy, but nothing happens... :(

Any ideas / suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm also willing to start from scratch if anyone has some detailed instructions.

-Thanks,
Regis

llama_beans
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Re: Remote Desktop Connection

Post by llama_beans » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:31 pm

do you connect to the box but just can't log in, or are you unable to connect to the box.

If you are running windows firewall check you scope to make sure it is not just local subnet. but that will be if you can't get to it at all.

If it is authenication then that is another ball of wax.

This might help.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articl ... P-Pro.html

Hamese
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Remote Desktop Connection

Post by Hamese » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:52 pm

Answer Llama, but if you cannot get connected you might want to try specifing ports to forward on the router. Port 3389 should be used for RDC, so make sure that is setup.

I agree with LB about the firewall stuff. Norton Internet Security will get you everytime if it is installed.

John Doe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by John Doe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:35 pm

Try switching to VNC, there are some good articles on getting VNC up and running very securely.

JD