A forum for computer hardware and software issues
YevGenie
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Helps! @Computer/Freeze/ForceShutDown/Sadface

Post by YevGenie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:00 pm

So, my laptop has been slowly breaking over the last 2-3 months.
Firstly it started to overheat, I had to update BIOS, which worked, but it caused my adapter to not be recognized by my computer, meaning my battery wouldn't charge (it was later found to be the battery that was dead), but I had to replace my MotherBoard, which worked, however a few weeks later my Hard Drive died. I replaced the Hard Drive as well (all done through Dell), but now my computer freezes whenever I do anything intensive with it (i.e. watch Netflix on Silverlight), or play Civ IV while having some chrome internet tabs open.

Now, my computer is a dual-core 2.2gig machine w/ a GeForce 8600M and all that and 4gig of memory, so its not a hardware issue, as far as I can tell. I thought it might be a driver issue, but I checked my device manager and it doesn't seem to show any driver issues, is there anything else I can check?

It will just freeze up and force me to do a hard reset. I can't find anything really wrong with stuff, except when I first got this comp I had Vista, and after the HD failed, I put in 7, but I don't see how that would really affect performance this much.....please.....help :)

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Helps! @Computer/Freeze/ForceShutDown/Sadface

Post by gator » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Sounds like there's still an overheating issue to me... do you hear any fans come on when you're doing something CPU intensive?

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Is it still under warranty?

laptops with 8600's have high failure rates, because of bump material issues with the 8600s.

If it is still under warranty, get it serviced, and start saving for a replacement.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

YevGenie
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YevGenie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:38 pm

It is under warranty still, but I put Windows 7 on it instead of Vista so they get all uppity when I call them b/c its not the original OS, I'm going to try again and just lie, telling them I still have Vista installed.

Gator -> There are no fans coming on, it literally just freezes the audio/video of whatever it is doing. Almost like a BSOD but without changing screens.

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:47 pm

I'd imagine it's either the fans not working, or the CPU or GPU overheating and causing the system to reboot or shutdown.

As Clay mentioned, the 8600M has had it's fair share of faults. You may want to look into the lawsuit that Nvidia recently settled, as you may be part of the class action.

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/notice.html
http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/pdfs/NVF_NOT.pdf