A forum for computer hardware and software issues
E.T. EddieTorrez
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Graphics card overheating

Post by E.T. EddieTorrez » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Since I got so much help the last time I started running into computer problems I figured I should see what the TheVille thinks about my current predicament.

For a while now my computer has had a couple of issues.

1. While playing certain games my computer will start to stutter(best way to explain it).

2. Around thirty seconds after it has started up it will freeze for about two minutes.

This last weekend I had a lan party with some friends so I decided to do a clean install of windows which did improve my computers performance but did nothing to hinder these two problems. Since then I downloaded msi afterburner and was able to replicate the stutter which happened to coincide with massive temperature spikes in my graphics card. I am still unsure about the cause of the first problem but I have a sneaking suspicion it maybe Avira Antivirus.

Does anyone have any suggestions about either problems?
[size=100][b][color=red]Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn for Sega[/color][/b][/size]

E.T. EddieTorrez
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: Graphics card overheating

Post by E.T. EddieTorrez » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:02 pm

In case it may help with the overheating problem here are a couple of links to my case and graphics card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811121001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131148
[size=100][b][color=red]Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn for Sega[/color][/b][/size]

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Well, I had the same problem, and when I called up TigerDirect, they basically told me to go ef myself.... And eventually, the good card (at the time; ATI Radeon 9600) blew up... along with my hard drive.. so I advise you get a solution quickly... if it'a a card you got from tiger direct :P
Thanks, Blah! I owe you one!

E.T. EddieTorrez
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by E.T. EddieTorrez » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:46 pm

I got it from Newegg back in November. Couldn't this just be normal overheating? Or is it a faulty card?

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:00 pm

What is its fan set to? I always boost my gpu fan when gaming.

Also, an antivirus program won't overheat your video card.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Case doesn't look too ventilated. Have you tried opening the case and pointing a floor fan into it? If this helps wit the stuttering you might need a case with a beefier cooling setup.

Darklightr
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Darklightr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Ya, just fan it up! ;)
Thanks, Blah! I owe you one!

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Fizbon666 wrote:Case doesn't look too ventilated. Have you tried opening the case and pointing a floor fan into it? If this helps wit the stuttering you might need a case with a beefier cooling setup.
In college I too had a poorly ventilated system, the power supply would overheat and turn off my computer or the video card would overheat and my game would just freeze. I took the side off and pointed a box fan in there, then those problems went away. This isnt good for a long term solution but it would at least confirm/refute the overheating issue you think you might have. If confirmed you can take steps to find a more elegant solution, and if not you can look into what may be the actual cause.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Do you have exhaust fans mounted in the rear and/or top of your case?
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

E.T. EddieTorrez
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by E.T. EddieTorrez » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 am

I currently two approximately 3'' fans, one in the rear blowing out and one in the front blowing in. As soon as the heating problem started to occur I took the side off and have been propping a small roughly 9'' fan into my case to help ventilate.

I'll look online to see if I can figure out a method to boost my gpu fan since I do not really understand the settings in speedfan and msi afterburner will not boost it. What would be a decent setting for fan speed?

As for the second problem I recognize that it most likely had nothing to do with overheating but I figured I would throw it in just to see if anyone had any input.

Thanks for all the replies so far, will let you all know how it goes.

E.T. EddieTorrez
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by E.T. EddieTorrez » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:56 am

Update

So I decided to take a look at my gpu after not finding any clear methods for changing the fan speed on my gpu. Well that should have been my first step. The plastic box which sits on the heat sink and contains the lovely picture of the sword wielding lady was holding in a lot of dust. After cleaning that out the normal running temperature is down by about 10 degrees.

We'll see how it runs now but in the mean time are there other things besides speeding up the fan I should be looking into if the problem keeps occurring?

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 am

CCC lets you adjust gpu card fan speeds normally, under the far right tab. You have to unlock that feature though (there is a padlock icon) last I checked.

tsmitho
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by tsmitho » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:19 am

ya thats not normal if it is overheating something is obviously wrong espcially if you took the case side off and put a big fan on it. If the card is still under warranty i would try to contact the manufacturer to see if they can replace it. otherwise the only thing could be your thermal paste hardened or lost its heat capasity or something and you could try to put some new/better thermal paste on the gpu so the heatsync can better disipate the heat but only do that if the warranty is expired because doing so would most likely void the warranty.