arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

I Need Some Computer Help

Post by arfy4 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Sooooooo.... Basically, my computer has been having some massive problems that appear to have been caused by a virus. Deleting Steam did seem to miracolously fix the problem. I believe That some permanent damage to my hard drive may have been done by the virus because my computer is bugging me that my hard drive could fail and I would lose everything. Basically what I wanna know is am I completely screwed and will have to blow some money that I'm saving for a computer on a hard drive, or is there a way to keep my hard drive from failing?

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: I Need Some Computer Help

Post by MrBlah » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Your HDD shouldn't be failing or anything. have you been able to do a complete scan of your system? if so, what was found? Also, re-formatting your HDD should solve this kind of issue. Mind you, it involves re-installing Windows.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:00 am

I am currently running a virus scan. Hopefully it will find something that would be causing problems. If I can figure out whats wrong than I should be playing TF2 soon.

Fizbon666
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Fizbon666 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:27 pm

It's VERY rare for a virus to cause physical damage. It might be messing with stuff, causing your computer to report damage though. Or your drive could be failing on it's own and there's no virus involved. Backup any important files then do a thorough scan on the drive. If it comes up clean, Format/reinstall... it's the only way to be sure...

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:46 pm

Fizbon666 wrote:It's VERY rare for a virus to cause physical damage. It might be messing with stuff, causing your computer to report damage though. Or your drive could be failing on it's own and there's no virus involved. Backup any important files then do a thorough scan on the drive. If it comes up clean, Format/reinstall... it's the only way to be sure...
I am in agreement. I simply dispute that the drive could be the only hardware failing, if you do a Scan Disk and it comes up with no errors, try Memtest86 to scan the RAM as well.

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Unfortunately, it really is just hard drive failure, which means it's time to get a backup drive.