Connection Problems

A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Slipstream
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Connection Problems

Post by Slipstream » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Rits and I share a wireless connection and have been having problems connecting to the same servers simultaneously. It usually happens after we've played TF2 the previous day, and then the next day without restarting our comps, we'll try to join the same server and one of us will get the ''connection failed after 4 retries'' message.

This also happened in our previous apartment with the same wireless setup. We have comcast, a motorola surfboard modem, and a netgear Wg311t wireless router.

If we both restart our computers, we can both join the same server and then we can usually join without any problems for the rest of the day.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, or how to fix it?

Thanks
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/McMandy/TF2/TVBSlipstreamcopy.jpg[/img]
If you live like no one else, later you get to live like no one else.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:48 pm

bump

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm

I can't say I know the specific cause of your problem, but I can say going wired has fixed a lot of my problems.

About a year ago I was mostly wireless and had a lot of similar issues. I bought a 75' ethernet cord from newegg for around $15 I think, and most of those problems have gone away, and my ping actually dropped by about 20 as well.

I still randomly time out after I've connected, so I'm beginning to think it might have something to do with the router, but going wired definitely helped a lot.

Hope you get it figured out...connectivity issues are a bummer.

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:35 pm

I think duke and ladee had to set seperate ports for use by the tf2 client on each of their machines to prevent a conflict.

You may want to contact them and ask for details.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Ra^Groz
Villun
Villun

Re: Connection Problems

Post by Ra^Groz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Very weird that it works after you reboot. If you share the same IP Address I don't believe you should be able to connect to the same server anyways.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm

As long as you are using different ports, the server doesn't care. You just have to make sure your router handles that or manually set a different client port.

Slipstream
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by Slipstream » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm

[quote="Ra^Groz";p="218134"]Very weird that it works after you reboot. If you share the same IP Address I don't believe you should be able to connect to the same server anyways.[/quote]

Well, it doesn't always work. As far as I can tell, our IP's are only one or two numbers apart.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/McMandy/TF2/TVBSlipstreamcopy.jpg[/img]
If you live like no one else, later you get to live like no one else.

DukeNukem
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: FlZlX

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by DukeNukem » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:46 am

Slipstream try this for diagnostic reasons. If you leave your machines on but then reboot the router when the issue occurs can you both conntect?

Also, I never game (that is Steam type games) across wireless, only wired.

Ladee and I did not have to assign different port numbers, and the only problems we have had both connecting at the same time is that @#$%^ Charter latency for a while was so bad that it would go from hihg ping to excruciatingly high ping if we both tried to play.
I STINK therefore I SPAM!! [Doctored Descartes]