A forum for computer hardware and software issues
YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

IP address concern

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:55 pm

My internet is being worked on and I am using my phone to access stuff. At one time I had my mobile steam set up, but haven't used it in ages. Went to log into it and asks me for a code that comes from a steam email thinking that I'm on a new browser.

It tells me that it has an IP address for me and says to verify that it's at least closeby. Now I don't know where Granite Falls, WA is, but as I sit here in Lahaina, HI I know for sure that I'm not there. I don't know ip stuff well and don't want to set something up that might be phishing. Should I be concerned?
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

frostdillicus
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: IP address concern

Post by frostdillicus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 pm

whatismyip.com from your phone should tell you if that is you or not.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:20 pm

Interesting. That website says the same thing. Curious that Granite Falls, WA is my "local" ip site for my phone.

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You'll Never Walk Alone

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flash » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:26 pm

That is most likely where your internet packets exist your wireless provider's internal network onto the internet.

MateoTheBold!
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by MateoTheBold! » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:55 pm

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:Interesting. That website says the same thing. Curious that Granite Falls, WA is my "local" ip site for my phone.
I don't know why you are bragging about and making up being in Hawaii when you are clearly in Washington on vacation.

On a related story, I had one of my email accounts hacked, and in the process of trying to figure out if it was a keylogger on my end, I checked another one of my emails account activity. I had a bunch of connects from Kansas for some reason in the past day. I was convinced I had found the hacker until I realized that accessed a McDonalds wifi at the same time as the "hacker".

Sneaky packets, they trick you every time!

Warpath Cup- FU-2011, FAIL 2012
Villeympics- BB 2011, USAHB 2012
Ville Cup- HK 2011, SNES 2012, :TIME: 2013, CTB 2014

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Location by IP address is often inaccurate because a business location and the area of service are two different places and someone typed in the wrong info in a box somewhere. Or the IP block was recently sold and the location database hasn't caught up. No worry, Steam only sees you logging in from an IP and browser that you don't normally log into and is requesting you check your mail (the steam guard email you setup previously) for the code they sent you to verify that you're the real deal and that you didn't get your account phished by russian 13yr old. Da!
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:41 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:
You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote:Interesting. That website says the same thing. Curious that Granite Falls, WA is my "local" ip site for my phone.
I don't know why you are bragging about and making up being in Hawaii when you are clearly in Washington on vacation.

On a related story, I had one of my email accounts hacked, and in the process of trying to figure out if it was a keylogger on my end, I checked another one of my emails account activity. I had a bunch of connects from Kansas for some reason in the past day. I was convinced I had found the hacker until I realized that accessed a McDonalds wifi at the same time as the "hacker".

Sneaky packets, they trick you every time!
You can assume someone is sniffing packets when you use hotel wifi, macdonalds or other 'free' wifi. Just make sure all your URLs are using SSL, that's the extra 's' on "https://" This ensures encryption on both ends and defeats a man in the middle grabbing your facebook session cookies floating around the ether of the coffeeshop.

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:06 pm

That's good to know about the extra "s" Spanish. I don't access wifi from anywhere other than my house or work, but the time or two that I have, I haven't really known how secure it was. Thanks!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:43 am

You'llNeverWalkAlone wrote: I don't access wifi from anywhere other than my house or work, but the time or two that I have, I haven't really known how secure it was. Thanks!
Your real security concern is me, tonight, around midnight, when there is a lot of noise. Since you're in Hawaii, I'm breakin in yo house, sucka. Say goodbye to those Hummels!

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:24 pm

MateoTheBold! wrote:
Hay, we have things to go on vacation for in Washington! Even from Hawaii! Moar like Mateo The....*pause for Google search*....Maligner!

metacide
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by metacide » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:53 am

Dirty Dan wrote: Hay, we have things to go on vacation for in Washington! Even from Hawaii! Moar like Mateo The....*pause for Google search*....Maligner!
Yeah! What he said!

Also, I know where Granite Falls is, it's about 20 minutes from here. Fun Fact, about a decade ago it was the biggest producer of meth in the United States. I'm not sure if it still is.