A forum for computer hardware and software issues
Bright Red Nipples
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Loading…

Time To Format

Post by Bright Red Nipples » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:23 pm

I have been messing with some kind of trojan virus that I can't seem to get rid of. I have tried everything that I know of to get rid of it and any and all traces of it but with no luck. I have finally decided that I will just format the damn thing and start over. This is a gaming computer so there is not a whole lot that I have to reinstall after the format.

The problems I am running into is first, I do not have a floppy drive on my machine. Second I am running 2 74g raptor drives in raid0 format, I think it's raid0 anyways. I tried installing the OS on another drive and formatting the main drive that way but I cannot since it is in raid0, it doesn't even see the drive that way. I am looking for some advice on what I need to do in order to wipe this drive and start from scratch.

Also I have already tried running in safe mode and running all the virus software that way. It found it and said it got rid of it but when I run my comp it still pops up. The virus is some kind of "generic downloader" or something like that. I only have issues when I run IE or any program that uses IE to get on the internet, STEAM, WOW, etc. I am currently running Firefox for my internet but anytime I try to game it uses IE hence the problem.

Any advice that is beneficial and not spam would be much appreciated. Any other questions just post em here and I'll answer as best as I can.

DaKon
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: Time To Format

Post by DaKon » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:58 pm

Before you format try http://www.ewido.net/en/download/.

It is a free download and has helped me in the past.

As for format, wester digital data lifeguard would alow you to clone from the single drive you have put the install on, over to your raid 0 set up, also erasing the boot sector on your raid 0 and writting a new one (and getting rid of any virus there).

Just go to the wester digial site and download it and they have a lot of good readin on it to.

LJ
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by LJ » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:36 pm

try running smitfraudfix at

http://siri.geekstogo.com

There's been some viruses and spyware running around that aren't removed through a lot of the antivirus programs. Smitfraudfix removes a small subset of them.

You can also get free tech support to help remove viruses with microsoft. 1-866-PCSAFETY

sgt stutter
Server Ops
Server Ops

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by sgt stutter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:16 pm

Wish I could help, did you ever get this worked out Nips.
RIP-Trigger
RIP-Blue
RIP-Stevo

Bright Red Nipples
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Loading…

Post by Bright Red Nipples » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:53 pm

[quote="sgt stutter";p="2825"]Wish I could help, did you ever get this worked out Nips.[/quote]

Still not worked out. I haven't tried any of the tips yet as I have that backup drive currently outside my comp, not connected, and haven't had time to mess with it just yet. I was hoping to stick that drive in my machine again this weekend and see if any of the tips will allow me to erase this current drive so I can finally just start with a fresh system.

BTW thx for checkin up Sarge. Believe it or not, it is much appreciated on this end.

Blown65
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Blown65 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:59 pm

Ive gotten a few that I swear would never go away. Sometimes it takes using a bunch of diff programs in a certain order to get rid of real nasty virus/torjans.

Good luck.