Jim needs some help

Here you will find the queries of our honored Ville residents and the helpful responses.
jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Jim needs some help

Post by jim beam » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:47 pm

So with gators help I have bought stuff for a new computer. I have put the thing together but the damn thing wont post.
When i press the power button it comes one for like 3 seconds then turns it self off and then comes on but it doesnt show like its one. Nothing shows up on the monitor. I have checked the memory on other computers and that has worked. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong. I can return the stuff til the end of the month.
Any help would be great. I will check this as I have time and a computer to use the old one does not exist anymore.
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Jim needs some help

Post by Peahats » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Do you have a spare PSU? My friend was having a similar problem, he tried another PSU and it turned out his motherboard was defective.

BitterBeerFace
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by BitterBeerFace » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Does the motherboard make any beeps during this? Are there indicator lights on the back by the plugs?

The thing to do is strip it down to the barest of essentials. 1 stick of RAM, PSU, processor (if it has built-in video, use that and remove the add-in video card), video... strip absolutely everything else (disconnect is fine)... then see if it'll post.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Make sure the CPU cooler is properly installed.

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Stevo wrote:Make sure the CPU cooler is properly installed.
Yeah, surprisingly, it can be easy to mess up the cooler. If I were you, I would take everything apart and rebuild it again, do your first post with 1 stick of RAM(switch em around if something isn't happening, you could have 1 bad stick, and the rest good), onboard video if you have it. If you don't, reseat the video card, that was a problem of mine one a previous build. Boot with no HDD or Optical drive.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

gator
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by gator » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Is it just power looping on/off constantly after you press the power button?

I have noticed occasionally with the case (FYI - he bought an Antec 300, same one I have) that sometimes the reset button gets stuck pushed in a little, and will cause that. Check to see if the reset button is depressed slightly, and just nudge it back to normal position if that's the case.

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:16 pm

I will check the psu. There is no on board vid card just the one i bought. I have done the stuff with the ram. All the lights come on on the motherboard but it doesnt make any noises. Gator the computer only resets once and then it just stays on til I make it turn off. how do i reset the vid card do I just take it out of the computer?

MrBlah
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MrBlah » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:21 pm

yeah, reseating the video card is as simple as removing it and putting it back in.
Eater of Potatoes, since 2008.

I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Spanish Inquisition
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by The Spanish Inquisition » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:03 pm

BitterBeerFace wrote: The thing to do is strip it down to the barest of essentials. 1 stick of RAM, PSU, processor (if it has built-in video, use that and remove the add-in video card), video... strip absolutely everything else (disconnect is fine)... then see if it'll post.
This is the best advice. Minimum operation. Often with a new mobo rig your existing PSU is not up to the task, especially with the high watt usage of graphic cards today. This is why I advocate keeping an old PCI vid card around for testing without the graphics card you intend to use for the final installation. Sometimes it's a matter of not having two particular components on the same lead coming off the PSU.
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Clay Pigeon
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Clay Pigeon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 am

Are you getting any beep codes? I don't know if the antec 300 has a speaker for beep codes, or if your mobo of choice came with a beep code buzzer.

What about a port 80h display? It looks like two digital clock #s. Does your mother board have one of those?

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 025434.htm
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power tyrants and dictators cannot stand." - The prophet G'Kar

Checkm8
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Checkm8 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:54 pm

I would check to make sure all the little input wires from your case are plugged in to the mobo correctly. By that I mean the power/reset/little light wires that all get plugged in close by together.

I know my power and reset inputs are side by side and the little things are damn hard to see or plug in. It might be that your reset and power are reversed. Just a thought to add to gators suggestion about the reset button being stuck.

M's
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by M's » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:20 pm

This happened to me, And I had to have my bios flashed. Everything would power up but no video of any kind.

BitterBeerFace
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Post by BitterBeerFace » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Every motherboard I've ever encountered has a small buzzer on it (not really a speaker)...

Just to see if the PSU is ok, I think you should be able to have nothing in there at all... no RAM, no video, just PSU, CPU, Motherboard, power... hit the power button and it should make some buzzing error messages. 3 long tones is "no RAM" almost always. Not sure what it'd be if there's no video, but at least you should get *something* this way.

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:10 am

So the motherboard i got was bad. Also doing some research the one i bought has a "habit" of catching fire behind the ram slots which mine did. So now im going to either a wait for the maker to hopefully replace it or b go buy a new one. It has been about a month without a computer and I have all these other nice parts just sitting around so i think I am going to buy a new motherboard on monday. What do yall think buy a new one or wait and see about a replacement from the maker

Peahats
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Peahats » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:32 am

Buy a new one, Why would you want to get a replacement that could have the same issue? Funny, every person I know who has ever had a problem building a computer (myself included), the solution has always been get a new motherboard.