difference in outbox vs sentbox ??

Here you will find the queries of our honored Ville residents and the helpful responses.
spm97
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

difference in outbox vs sentbox ??

Post by spm97 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:34 pm

In my message box, there is my inbox, outbox, sentbox, and saved.

What is the difference in Outbox and Sentbox ? Are the messages in outbox the messages that have not been read yet or something ? Sentbox is clearly messages you have "Sent" and been read; do things sit in outbox, or is there some magic process that moves them to the Sentbox once they are read.

I'm wondering - cause I'm used to the bug in Outlook where things get stuck in your outbox sometimes and you have to re-send them...and there are a bunch of things in my "outbox" I am waiting for responses to...

Spam

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: difference in outbox vs sentbox ??

Post by Stevo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:39 pm

The messages stay in Outbox until they are read by the recipient. This way you can edit things or delete the message before it is read. :)

Tickles
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Tickles » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:45 pm

[quote="Stevo";p="107104"]The messages stay in Outbox until they are read by the recipient. This way you can edit things or delete the message before it is read. :)[/quote]

What he said. :)

Outbox are for messages that the recipient hasn't read yet. The sentbox are the messages that the recipient has received and read.

Nanite
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nanite » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 pm

Are you using it in home use where it syncs up with your internet email or are you using it in a corporate enterprise environment?

spm97
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by spm97 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:56 pm

At work I use outlook, and there is a long standing bug where sometimes if you use activesync and have a virus scanner, the client holds open a filehandle in your outbox, and the message can't send.
But that is outlook. It's full of bugs.

Stevo and Tickles answered the question I had. The messages in my "Outbox" are ones people haven't read yet. The fact the I have a bunch means a bunch of people are ignoring me again...

Spam

[quote="Nanite";p="107110"]Are you using it in home use where it syncs up with your internet email or are you using it in a corporate enterprise environment?[/quote]

Tickles
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Tickles » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Yeah, I never liked Outlook, I use Thunderbird.

Nanite
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nanite » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 pm

[quote="spm97";p="107112"]At work I use outlook, and there is a long standing bug where sometimes if you use activesync and have a virus scanner, the client holds open a filehandle in your outbox, and the message can't send.

Stevo and Tickles answered the question I had. The messages in my "Outbox" are ones people haven't read yet. The fact the I have a bunch means a bunch of people are ignoring me again...

Spam

[quote="Nanite";p="107110"]Are you using it in home use where it syncs up with your internet email or are you using it in a corporate enterprise environment?[/quote][/quote]

Read Receipts don't work that way, you never see a pending stub you just get the read one. And in a corporate environment messages in the outbox are messages that were never sent. In a normal Exchange environment you never see anything in the outbox because it transitions so fast. In a most home environments the outbox is where messages queue up that you've sent but haven't connected to your internet mail to upload yet.
Last edited by Nanite on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tickles
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Tickles » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Are you referring to an email client or the outbox/sentbox for PM's here on the site? If your referring to email, Nanite is right, the ones in your Outbox haven't been sent out.

I thought you were referring to the PM's on the site here. :oops: Listen to Nanite, he knows his stuff when it's technical and dealing with PC's.

Hamese
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Hamese » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:16 pm

I thought he was talking about the PM's. Stevo answered it, he gets all the points :)

Nanite
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Nanite » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:17 pm

[quote="Hamese";p="107119"]I thought he was talking about the PM's. Stevo answered it, he gets all the points :)[/quote]

LOL he mentioned Outlook so I thought he was talking about his mail client. :lol: That explains why it's in FAQ and not the tech forum. :oops:

Tickles
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Tickles » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:32 pm

I'm confused as to what he's talking about now! I thought it was PM's, then Nanite mentioned email clients... Ahh, I'm confused. :shock:

I'm sure they're not ignoring you, trust me, you'll know if someone is. Maybe they're busy, they'll get back to you I'm sure. :)

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:01 pm

Ya, if it's in your outbox, that means the person hasn't logged in and checked their PMs...

Sentbox are messages the recipient has read.

(I'm just spamming, don't mind me)

spm97
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by spm97 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Nanite,
I'm in a corporate environment using exchange. Yes - 99% of the times, the messages hit my outbox, and just send.

If (and it takes a lot to reproduce, but I can do it now...) I do the following, the message gets "locked" and the client will NOT let the server send it.
1) My Activesync based Windows mobile phone is in the cradle syncing my Inbox
2) the virus scanner (POS Mcafee) is running and scanning all inbound/outbound mail
3) I send a message with an attachment

It's a bug; pure in simple. And since it includes a 3rd party (Mcafee) Microsoft will not even look at it.

The reason I started this thread was I got in the habit of checking my "outbox" in Outlook for stuck messages after my boss needed a critical presenation, and he never got it, and chewed me out and I stumbled on some messages here in my "outbox" that I had been waiting for a reply to, and I thought "Oh crap - did these messages get stuck" and was swearing at my computer because I felt all computers are evil and need to be destroyed.

Thanks everyone for there help - I'm clear on how it all should work now!

Spam

[quote="Nanite";p="107115"][quote="spm97";p="107112"]At work I use outlook, and there is a long standing bug where sometimes if you use activesync and have a virus scanner, the client holds open a filehandle in your outbox, and the message can't send.

Spam

[quote="Nanite";p="107110"]Are you using it in home use where it syncs up with your internet email or are you using it in a corporate enterprise environment?[/quote][/quote]

Read Receipts don't work that way, you never see a pending stub you just get the read one. And in a corporate environment messages in the outbox are messages that were never sent. In a normal Exchange environment you never see anything in the outbox because it transitions so fast. In a most home environments the outbox is where messages queue up that you've sent but haven't connected to your internet mail to upload yet.[/quote]