Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Guide to The Ship

Post by Masakari » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm

I realized today that many people may not know about this game, so I thought I'd wall of text write a brief summary of what the game is and what to expect.

What is The Ship?

The Ship is a combination first person shooter, simulation, and stealth game. In the traditional game play mode of "Hunt" (What the server here runs), each mini-round you are assigned to kill one person of an unknown identity within a set point of time. You are provided with a map of the ship you're on, and the location of your "quarry" updates every 30 seconds. In order to kill this person, you need to find a weapon laying around the boat, ranging from obvious things like guns and knifes, to something a little more subtle like a frying pan or pool cue. If you manage to kill that person, you are rewarded.

However, it isn't as easy as it sounds, as there are four separate elements to the game that make it difficult and require skill as opposed to just a run-and-gun philosophy:
  1. You need to kill your quarry secretly. Not only are there security guards and security cameras watching your every move, but the very people on the same ship as you can work against you. If you pull a weapon out while in a spot watched by guards or cameras, then you're automatically sent to jail, fined, and you lose all your weapons. As well, if two fellow shipmates see you pull out a weapon for the duration of an entire second, then you're also sent to jail, fined, and stripped of weapons. This is where the element of stealth comes in.
  2. You're not immune while killing people. If your quarry gets suspicious that you're their hunter, then they can attack and kill you in self-defense. As well, there is also someone else on the Ship trying to murder you at the same time you're trying to kill someone, so watch your back!
  3. While all this goes on, you have needs to fulfill similar to a game of "The Sims". If you don't stay on top of your needs, then you can become slow, tired, and possible even die if you don't satisfy those needs as they come up.
  4. Weapons are rarely located in the same place, and weapons have a variable scoring system. You can't just find a gun and expect to win with that, as once you've used a weapon once, the value for killing someone with that weapon essentially becomes worthless. This means you always need to be on the hunt for new, more "expensive weapons".
Games last for about 30 minutes, and the winner is the person who has accumulated the most money wins. While this sounds very complicated on paper, once you thactually start playing the game and understanding all the concepts, it has a very solid flow and makes for incredibly intense and fun gameplay.

Where and how should I get the game?

The game is on Steam, but it is a little on the pricy side at $20. Sadly, with the developers out of the picture, the odds of a free weekend or even sales are slim to none (Hence why the game wasn't on sale during the Holiday Sale). However, you're best best is to go to a place like Target, Wal-Mart, and stores like that and take a look in their bargain bin. The game was released retail, and anywhere that has it now will most likely have it marked down to around the $5 mark.

If you happen to see multiple copies too, be sure to let everyone here know so that deals can be worked around that way. It's always nice to help each other out!

New to the game?

With as many complex gameplay elements as this game has, it does have a relatively steep learning curve. It's fairly common for new players to feel frustrated on their first game as everyone else on the server kills them before they get a chance to figure out what's happening. The best way to get better at the game is simple practice, but there are a few things you can do beforehand.

-Play the tutorial. It's basic and won't teach you everything, but it will teach you about what keys to press along with general concepts.
-Play a game with just bots first. A game with six bots will teach you basic strategies as well as help you learn the map a bit.

Ignore the single player campaign. It's not only unhelpful towards online play, but a little on the lame side.

Tips for everyone:
  1. You should always be carrying a weapon at any given point in time for self defense. I always recommend hanging onto a gun if possible, and failing that a weapon with high damage and good range like the axe. Axe is good because they can be found anywhere.
  2. Knowing the map will always give you an advantage, but even the most knowledgeable people still refer to the map consistently. Not only will it show you where your quarry is, but it will help you find places to fulfill all your needs.
  3. Don't feel like you need to get a kill every single round. It's good to once in a while focus on getting your needs met and to find weapons that are high on the Money For Kills table.
  4. If you're quick, you can take quick shots at your quarry even with two witnesses watching you. Pulling the weapon out, hitting someone, and retracting the weapon can take slightly under a second if timed well.
  5. Changing clothes is one of the most unused, yet helpful features in the game. Changing clothes will not only cause hunters who have already met you to forget your appearance, but is pretty much the only way to successfully kill you quarry after they have killed you once. Being unidentifiable in the game is most certainly a good thing.
  6. Remember that the cash you have on hand is both a blessing and a curse. On average, most people don't even use $50 per life, and the only time you need more cash than that is to either bribe a security guard or heal yourself in the sickbay. If your cash on hand ever goes about $400, find a bank or deposit box and put some of that money in there.
What you should not be doing:

Aside from the usual Ville rules that apply on the server, there are a few other specialty rules that I like to keep in place to prevent trouble.
  • Repeated innocent killing.
  • Dropping below about $-6000 (Usually a result of innocent killing, but repeated jail time and fines can get you there.
  • Griefing via blocking people in, pushing them into a corner, etc.
  • Excessive antagonizing (Whacking an innocent person to make them think you're their hunter). It's okay in small doses as a small tactic, but doing it to everyone gets annoying and would easily be griefing.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!
I am the 1%!

BigBiker05
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by BigBiker05 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:35 pm

If you have no idea what he or 'le ship' is, yes the game is french... it has french on the box...

The best way I can describe this game is 'Spy vs Spy' meets "The Sims".

Not to mention it has the best music in the world, bonjour!

Gonna play right now, might take same screenies so I can make some helpful pictures.

FYI, default keys suck and are all over the keyboard, first thing you might want to do is rebind those to make them similar to other games you play.

MMX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Guide to The Ship

Post by MMX » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:18 pm

TLDR; J/K
[img]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/monorail_sig.jpg[/img]
- [url=http://tinyurl.com/ykkat36]Mechanical Mathematics Xenomorph[/url]
- local time zone: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_European_Time]CET[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+1), [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time]DST[/url]: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEST]CEST[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+2)
- Signatures: [url=http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/dodcup08/vov_sig_mmx.png]TheVille DoD Cup '08[/url]

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Guide to The Ship

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm

We should get a mod to move the giant Ship thread in from the Other Games forum. That thing is packed with info and such.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Cpt. Winky
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt. Winky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:47 pm

lol masa, blocking people IN isn't the worst, its blocking your hunter OUT. there is one level where you can stand in a room with only 1 entrance behind the glass door, and just laugh as your hunter vainly tries to push it open. its extremely cheap, but hilariously funny at the same time.

:icon_heart: RIP TW 1954 - 2008

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:41 pm

encouraged tactics include:
Being a Passenger and following Masakari around the entire time
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:47 pm

[quote="Cpt._Keyes";p="220183"]encouraged tactics include:
Being a Passenger and following Masakari around the entire time[/quote]

This sounds like something I can get behind.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 pm

I am in on the Ship game plan

BTW what happened to the persons you had made Admin before????
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:07 pm

[quote="Rigges";p="220258"]
I am in on the Ship game plan

BTW what happened to the persons you had made Admin before????
[/quote]The server is now running with the exact same admin structure as every other Ville server. Admins have their set rights. As for supporters, they have some, but because of the way the game and SourceMod play together (Read: not nice), it is honestly faster to either contact me or another admin if there is trouble on the server.
I am the 1%!

Rigges
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Rigges » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Sounds good to me
Yes I am the one who Shot the Smiley Face Target for the Lethal Weapon Movie
RIP Winnie White Sister In-law 1952 - April 22 2010 58
Norma L. White Mother 20 Dec 1930 to 27 Aug 2011 81

Lucille C. Brueshaber Mother In Law 11 July 1922 to 13 Dec 2011 89
Mrs Rigges is very sad

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:15 pm

I would add to stay within view of a security guard after you kill your Quarry, that way your hunter can't kill you.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 pm

[quote="arfy4";p="220301"]I would add to stay within view of a security guard after you kill your Quarry, that way your hunter can't kill you.[/quote]

Not if he bribes the guard. People who played the tutorial know that ;)
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:48 pm

[quote="arfy4";p="220301"]I would add to stay within view of a security guard after you kill your Quarry, that way your hunter can't kill you.[/quote]
Four things make that strategy not work:
  1. You have needs you need to take care of.
  2. Ranged weapons will make light work of you.
  3. Guards can be bribed (As Carpe mentioned).
  4. You won't be finding newer and more expensive weapons yourself.
As well, some security guards and cameras rotate, so you could stand next to a guard, he could briefly look away, and you'd be prey to your hunter. Nothing in the game is an absolute - that's the fun of it.
I am the 1%!

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:51 pm

[quote="Masakari";p="220304"][quote="arfy4";p="220301"]I would add to stay within view of a security guard after you kill your Quarry, that way your hunter can't kill you.[/quote]
Four things make that strategy not work:
  1. You have needs you need to take care of.
  2. Ranged weapons will make light work of you.
  3. Guards can be bribed (As Carpe mentioned).
  4. You won't be finding newer and more expensive weapons yourself.
As well, some security guards and cameras rotate, so you could stand next to a guard, he could briefly look away, and you'd be prey to your hunter. Nothing in the game is an absolute - that's the fun of it.[/quote]

and I would still be following Masa as a passenger
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

arfy4
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by arfy4 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:58 am

Yeah, but no strategy always works in the game, so if the guard is bribed you might die.