Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

June 2011 Rotation Feedback

Post by Stevo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:13 pm

TV2 is meant to reflect the preferences of the community. These preferences may change frequently, so this should be reflected in the map rotation. In order to do this, we require solid feedback from the community.

In this thread:
  • Suggest any maps, old or new, to be added to the rotation
  • Post any maps in the rotation that you want removed
  • Make any other suggestions or criticisms of the current map selection
For reference, here is the current rotation:
pl_waste_v2
cp_observatory4
cp_toy_fort
pl_deplane_b5
cp_blazewalk_rc5
pl_stovepipe_b3

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Re: June 2011 Rotation Feedback

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Current set:
Waste has given us some good games.
Observatory is still decent.
Toy Fort brings players, even if the map itself is flawed.
Deplane is getting a little dull.
Blazewalk is doing well.
Stovepipe is getting a little dull.

Wish list:
koth_lolcano_b2: Something silly to use while seeding, perhaps. It has a minor following.

Suggestions from the map pile:
cp_labor: It's old, but aside from the usual Wrangler issues, still seems to play decently well in small groups.
ctf_haarp: We did okay with it before. Actually, any sort of flag-carrying attack maps like Haarp or Avantiville would be nice. There are a couple of reasonably-sized football/rugby-styled ones.
cp_busytown?

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:43 pm

I support all of Flaming's suggestions. Also, maybe add cp_ironbowl to the rotation as well?

In general, I think having a large rotation for the customs server is a good idea. The reason I play customs is for variety. If we only have 6 maps in the rotation, it kind of fails in this regard.

Finally, can we get this uploaded but not yet added to the rotation? We can try it out via vote-in to decide about adding it later: cp_redfort_b3
http://www.gamebanana.com/maps/96875

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

I think we definitely should get rid of deplane.

I like stovepipe, but I think I'm alone in that.

I'd prefer we switch to the latest cp_waste rather than pl_waste.

I'd like to get desertfortress back in, it used to seed and it would be nice to have a map that does besides toy_fort.

I do want to do a night to try some maps from the recent TF2maps.net contest, we might find something good.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Redfort is decent, I've seen some pretty good games with it.

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Plinko wrote:I like stovepipe, but I think I'm alone in that.
Missed that in flaming's initial post. I like stovepipe too, and support keeping it on the rotation. I think people might find it less annoying as long as the rotation contains more maps, so it's not getting too repetitive.
Plinko wrote:I'd prefer we switch to the latest cp_waste rather than pl_waste.
cp_waste is good, but pl_waste is completely unique - there's no other tug-of-war payload maps in existance. TF2 being a customs server, I'd like to see maps on it that have a unique format and aren't just clones of the stock maps. Thus, I would like to stick with pl_waste.
Plinko wrote:I'd like to get desertfortress back in, it used to seed and it would be nice to have a map that does besides toy_fort.

I do want to do a night to try some maps from the recent TF2maps.net contest, we might find something good.
Agreed on both of these points.

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Avantiville was yanked because there is a bug that allows the flags to be capped in the wrong order. It was pretty intermittent, to the point where I couldn't recreate it. I have since pretty much quit mapping, don't have time for it, so I wont be fixing it anytime soon.

I'm curious to see how it plays with all the new stuff...

I wonder if the bug is even still around? I loaded the map a few days ago and couldn't get the bug to happen...

Other than that, I have no useful info to offer, sorry. :D

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Blazewalk, Pl waste, and toyfort are the big earners. I can agree with removing deplane it doesn't seem to have many really good matches anymore. I can agree with adding lolcano to the list for occasional shenanigans call ups. Bringing back desert fortress also would be fine that map if nothing else tends to have a lot of good back and forth.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

stujitsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by stujitsu » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:52 pm

l3eeron wrote:Avantiville was yanked because there is a bug that allows the flags to be capped in the wrong order. It was pretty intermittent, to the point where I couldn't recreate it. I have since pretty much quit mapping, don't have time for it, so I wont be fixing it anytime soon.

I'm curious to see how it plays with all the new stuff...

I wonder if the bug is even still around? I loaded the map a few days ago and couldn't get the bug to happen...

Other than that, I have no useful info to offer, sorry. :D

Who did the TFC Avanti?

P.S. Want LOLcano

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 pm

I think you are talking about sacrifist's version, the direct port? I think it's called avanti_b1....

stujitsu
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by stujitsu » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 pm

l3eeron wrote:I think you are talking about sacrifist's version, the direct port? I think it's called avanti_b1....
Did you do the TFC Avanitiville?

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:09 pm

my proposed new rotation

cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Flobee wrote:my proposed new rotation

cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
cp_toy_fort
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

l3eeron
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by l3eeron » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 pm

stujitsu wrote:
l3eeron wrote:I think you are talking about sacrifist's version, the direct port? I think it's called avanti_b1....
Did you do the TFC Avanitiville?

yes, this one right? (actually called ctf_avantiville)
http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... =51&t=5248

Zork Nemesis
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Zork Nemesis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 am

pl_waste_v2: It's an interesting concept, a payload map that goes in both directions. It's worth hanging on to, but I hardly ever saw it come up in the rotation

cp_observatory4: This map unfortunetly falls to the same (or at least similar) problem that you see with Gravel Pit and Junction, all in all it's a good design for a map, it's just not a good map

cp_toy_fort: Perhaps a little overplayed.

pl_deplane_b5: Also overplayed

cp_blazewalk_rc5: I like the design on this one and i'd like to see this one remain as well.

pl_stovepipe_b3: Never even make it to this one.

Suggestions: I think Waste and Blazewalk should remain for next month, keep toyfort around for seeding purposes, but maybe pull it from the main rotation.

I'm checking my directory and seeing what could be fun or useful. I've got a lot of garbage maps, but I think these were among my favorite.

cp_desertfortress is a very well designed map, though it's a bit of a sniper trap
cp_science, I always like the design behind this one, though it's lack of linear 5-cpness doesn't help.
ctf_convoy, not a good rotation map, but a fun map for fun times. Despite the bad layout, this map is pretty cool.
ctf_mach4, a small, fast paced, but somewhat chokepoint-ish map that I spent much of my time on when I first started playing TF2
ctf_rugby, a little on the open side and a bit strange on mechanics, but this map implements a football-style CTF, where there's a single flag and the goal is to take it to the enemy's side. (think BBall, but with more than just soldiers)
ctf_vikings_final, another map that's epic, but has relitivly poor map design. Similar to convoy.
melee_ringking, in the event that a melee duel must be invoked and the meleemania map is not avalible...
pl_cranetop, I don't remember this one, but I recall this being an interesting 3-stage payload map where the first cap required blu to remain on a point rather than push the cart.

While I know we don't host Arena, Vs Saxton Hale, or Prophunt, these other maps i've got are also pretty nifty.

arena_freight, the middle cap of Freight as an arena map.
vsh_castle_siege, a Vs Saxton Hale map where Hale (the Blue team) enters at the gate and the red team must fend him off. The map could be jury rigged for an arena or possibly attack/defend with one cap.
spooky_ravine, though more meant for PropHunt, this map takes the Ravine arena map, gives it a Halloween flair, and adds pumpkin bombs. Also Banjo-Kazooie music!

Also, we seem to like playing and seeding on tc_hydro on TV1, what about a new territory control map? Like tc_meridian?

This is hard to be cool and suave while being informative at the same time. Goddamn my coolness.
In my experience, common sense isn't too common.