Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: Weekly TV2 seed nights?

Post by Plinko » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:44 am

Supreveio wrote:
Plinko wrote: We never got around to cp_zig - version a16 is on the server - anyone know if there is a newer one?
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=15978

CP_Zig is now CP_Zinkenite and is version b3
Thanks, Suprevieo! If we could get this one on and give it a go that would be awesome.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 am

Sorry I couldn't make it to last week's seeding, I was busy with some other stuff. But I should be able to make it this week.

I also suggest a new map to test:

CP_Desertion, which is a two-point attack/defend map similar to Gorge.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:53 am

Supreveio wrote:Sorry I couldn't make it to last week's seeding, I was busy with some other stuff. But I should be able to make it this week.

I also suggest a new map to test:

CP_Desertion, which is a two-point attack/defend map similar to Gorge.
I'll be in Korea Wednesday night, so you're in charge.

There are a few suggestions littered throughout the end of the Map Suggestions thread and this one, maybe if you harass Stevo enough he'll add them to the server for you.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Just asked Stevo to upload a few of the suggested maps, so we should have a few new ones that weren't on the server before this week.
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 am

Three map ideas straight from TF2Maps' Showcase forum:

cp_antiquity - 5CP map with a unique Cambodian theme.
cp_upland - Steel-inspired gametype, but with a glow around the currently active point as to stop people from getting confused.
ctf_landfall - Alpine CTF. It's also small so you don't have to run five miles to grab the enemy Intel.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Antiquity: Excellent. Would play again.
Upland: As the second round demonstrated, the teams actually spawn right next to each other, and hilarity ensuded. Also rather... jumbled. It wasn't bad, though. Would be curious to see full-team carnage.
Landfall: It was not this:
It's also small so you don't have to run five miles to grab the enemy Intel.
It was rather huge, and the intel usually reverted before anyone could get back to it.
That KOTH with the train: Interesting in small groups, I suppose.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 pm

Antiquity had a nice design aesthetic, I'd be willing to try it again, if only to see how easy it is to swap center point with full teams.
Upland wasn't actually that bad, though having the teams spawning so close to each-other might be a bit of an issue. Would play again.
Landfall wasn't designed well for CTF, it was too big and full of complex pathways.
The train KOTH map was actually the one I liked the most, though we didn't have large enough teams to see much more than soldier/mini sentry=win.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Gearloose
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Gearloose » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Antiquity: Really liked the design, and the layout seemed good too. Worth trying a few more times.

Upland was even more confusing than Steel, though I'm sure that would go away after a few plays. It has some nice ideas, but I don't think I like it all that much - can't really put my finger on anything concrete.

Landfall - I really like the art, especially the big trees, and it has a good selection of paths but it's way too big for CTF. This should be a 5-CP or PLR map.

The train KOTH one was an interesting idea but I doubt it would work with larger teams.

Gravel or whatever the one after that was - I remember playing that one about four years ago. I kind of like it but would like to try with a larger team. The intel room is too easily defended for small teams to assault, but I think that with a larger team it encourages teamwork to grab the intel.

Flash
Site Admin
Site Admin
Minecraft name: FlashTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Snooze

Post by Flash » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Pretty much agree with everyone:

Antiquity: Really nice, want to see more of this one.

Upland: Was just OK, I'd play it again to see how it goes with more people.

Landfall: Quoting Gearloose, "I really like the art, especially the big trees, and it has a good selection of paths but it's way too big for CTF. This should be a 5-CP or PLR map."

The Train KOTH was interesting. I'd play this one again.

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Is next week another normal maps week or can I start throwing gimmick maps onto the suggesion pile now?

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:59 am

Flaming Cheese Wheel wrote:Is next week another normal maps week or can I start throwing gimmick maps onto the suggesion pile now?
Go right ahead with the suggestions.

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:42 am

cp_antiquity: I do not like 5cp maps a a rule, but I really liked this one. Besides being visually awesome, it had lots of small side paths, multiple levels, and hidden rooms, so it didn't feel like a big empty box the way well, granary, and badlands too. It wasn't too complicated, so people would get lost or end up going away from the action, and spawns were spaced appropriately. I think this one's a keeper.

cp_upland: Though it still suffers from some of the problems of Steel (too many active paths, some exceedingly difficult approaches), the glowing CP definitely does help orient people, and kept things from feeling bogged down. There may be a little too much vertical emphasis on point C (soldiers can just barely rocket jump on to it, from the exact right spot), but there are 3 other paths in, from 3 different angles. Would be interested to see how it flows when everybody knows their way around - as is, D spawns were very confusing, and offense could halfway cap a point before the defender could figure out where they were. Once entrenched though, defenses were hard to knock down.

ctf_landfall: Much too big for a ctf map - at least twice the size of turbine. The actual run distance from intel to intel is perhaps similar to that of 2fort, but is stretched out in a flat path with no alternates to the intel itself. Intel would reset itself before you could get back to it, unless you were an unopposed scout. The map itself is interesting, but would be better suited to a 3cp style with a quick center.

koth_namikott: This was a clever concept and seemed to be executed relatively well. The moving train platform means that a team can't just cap and turtle the point, and stickies can't be placed on the CP itself. This means the battle is much more back and forth. The spawns have cleverly made arrows that pop up and down to indicate where roughtly the train is, and save wasted time. Our koth server is an 18-man, which seems about right for this map (24 would be just madness in such a small space).
-Boss Llama

YoullNeverWalkAlone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by YoullNeverWalkAlone » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:01 am

I missed Antiquity (which sounds like I missed the best one)

Upland had me running the wrong way so many times I lost count. The concept of maps like that is cool, but as a new player to a map, I shouldn't want to throw something at my screen because I don't know where I am and how to go defend a point that is being capped. There were so many times as red that I would hear that the final point was being taken, but couldn't figure out how to get there to do anything about it.

I'm not actually sure I ever even SAW the other team's intel in Landfall.

I liked the moving train. Moving the cap point created so many new twists and forced you to change how you defend or take the point. No just sitting on one sight line, or building up in a spot. I think it might also cut down on spawn camping that is real common on koth maps. Would be a great map to practice soldier and combat engi tactics.

I haven't played too many custom maps before last week, and I have to say that I have really enjoyed having a custom night to try these out and see what's out there. Even though I'm mostly on tv7, it can get stale sometimes, and this is a great way to change things up. Last week's lolcano was a first for me, and mixing something like that in for levity at the end is a great way to go! I have also appreciated being able to download the maps in advance. I (and other Mac users) have had problems with the maps when they auto-download, so having that link to them early has been a great time saver, and really made the process a good one.
Thanks Sparky for the sig picture!

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And You'll Never Walk Alone,
You'll Never Walk Alone

The Truth--Justice--Remember the Hillsborough 96

Mortis462
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Mortis462 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 am

I had a lot of fun last night. I really enjoyed Antiquity and would like to put in more play time on it. Upland I could more or less do without, I was lost 90% of the time. Didn't get a chance to play the others.

What was the payload map before Antiquity? I enjoyed that one as well.

Always fun as engie to try and figure out where in the world to put your stuff on a map you have never seen. :lol:

Looking forward to the next one!
Everyone has changed
Everything has changed
Everyone has changed
But me

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 am

The PL map before Antiquity was pl_boundry, which I think was debuted on customs night 2 or 3 weeks ago? I enjoy that one too.
-Boss Llama