Moderator: Server Ops

Tungsten
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TV2 Custom Maps

Post by Tungsten » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:14 pm

Flaming Cheese Wheel wrote: Speaking of sniperfests, there's ctf_convoy.
Interestingly, convoy is where I honed my spy skills.

But really, it's a horrible map.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Harp is overall proving detrimental to server population. We usualy lose a few players when it comes up and a few more within a few rounds. Tonight we lost about 10 people through the course of the match. Its getting to the point where the regulars are posting map votes before round 1 ends. Can we get this map removed please.

In replacement koth lolcano has often filled the server on its own merits and pulls in quite a few randoms. We may want to think about moving this into the actual rotation. Although if we do I would recommend keeping the map timer down to about 30 minutes as it can get stale after a while.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Boss Llama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Boss Llama » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:46 pm

While I agree that the server does often die down on Haarp, I'm not convinced Haarp itself is the reason. Haarp follows Desert Fortress, which is a drawn out see-saw that a large number of people find exceedingly boring. Checking the server population logs for the month so far, the server population goes in to a generally severe decline about halfway through Desert Fortress every single time it comes up. The map change claims a few more, as every map change does. By the time Haarp loads, the combined exodus caused by DF and the map change has reduced the server population by a third to a half, leading many others to leave to find a server that's full. I wouldn't be surprised if it performed significantly better did it not follow on the heels of Desert Fortress.
-Boss Llama

Flaming Cheese Wheel
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flaming Cheese Wheel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 pm

In games previous to Desertfortress being put back on the rotation, though, I don't remember us picking up very many players on Haarp... we would spend time kicking around and trying to sticky-jump past the death brush, but not many would join.

I originally suggested Haarp because it hadn't been on for a while and the game mode is interesting, but since the Uber update I've backed away from it myself.

One_Medic_Army
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by One_Medic_Army » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:54 pm

Can we boot both of them then? Or at least turn down the timer on desert fortress. 30min or so of one single match and such a small map gets very stale very fast.

OTOH I actually liked avaintaville (or however it's spelled) when we did it for villympics.
Having 4 points instead of 2, and having one map instead of 3 I think helps a lot.
Tonight the harshest part was being rolled by the offense team for three straight maps, at least on avaintaville it switches over after one win.
ImageImage
VIEW CONTENT:

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 am

Desertfortress is a classic. It was on the rotation when I first started playing here.
I wasn't there last night, but I've always enjoyed it.

crimsonshootingstar
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by crimsonshootingstar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am

dessert fortress usually isn't to bad its just a sniper fest. last night half our team was killed as we exited spawn when the match started. It was a little stupid.

"A shooting star doesn't have a past. It burns like a flame and then is gone before your eyes. That's my kind of life."

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:08 am

DF has not aged as well as I want it to, but both times I've seen it on TV2 it's held population. Haarp is a tough map anywhere in a rotation. Attack CTF is very uncommon already and the map isn't all that intuitive for objectives so new folks find it frustrating.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 am

I like HAARP, I think push CTF is one of the coolest things you can do in TF2.

Hell, one fine day I may even finish the invasion CTF map I have.
I am the 1%!

Cpt._Keyes
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Cpt._Keyes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:31 am

Masakari wrote:I like HAARP, I think push CTF is one of the coolest things you can do in TF2.

Hell, one fine day I may even finish the invasion CTF map I have.
No masa we wont stop playing TF2...we happen to...

...Wait What?!
CG6505 CPT Nelson LCDR Wischmeier AST1 Skimin AMT2 Nichols-4SEP08
CG1705 LCDR Barnes LT Bryant AMTC Seidman AET2 Grigonis AET2 Beacham AMT2 Moletzsky AMT3 Kreder-29OCT09
CG6017 LT Krueger AMT1 Hoke AMT2 Banks-07JUL10
CG6535 LCDR Taylor LTjg Cameron ASTC Jorge AET3 Knight-29FEB12
WPB87340-2 BMC Terrell Horne-2Dec12
WMSL751 BM3 Obendorf-18DEC13

TheCarpe
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by TheCarpe » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 pm

:lol:

Honestly, I'd see Waste removed before Desert Fortress. DF is far from the best or most strategic map we have, but it has a simplicity in execution that can sometimes be missing in custom maps, which usually try to pack in as much as possible to make it stand out. It's a deathmatch map with a small emphasis on control points. We've had far worse maps on TV2.

Waste, on the other hand, is an intriguing concept done somewhat poorly. It's nigh impossible to win without a severe stack, the bases are much too difficult to push through, and the cart moves really quickly, so you lose any ground you may gain.

As for a different map, don't know if anyone noticed or paid much mind to the Community Medieval Update the blog mentioned a while back, but the custom map it showcased looked rather fun and unique.
Heck's Kitchen - TVC'08 & '11 ** The Axecutioners - TVC'09 ** Hale's Angels - TVC'10 ** CCCP - TVC'12 ** Ville Cuppin' Cakes - TVC'13 ** TheCarpetbaggers - TVC'14 CHAMPIONS

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Wait wait wait....people put pl_waste back in the rotation? WHY WOULD YOU PUT IN THE WORST POSSIBLE IMPLEMENTATION OF THAT MAP LAYOUT WHEN CP (Or even CTF for that matter) IS INFINITELY BETTER?!?

Seriously, tug of war payload has to have been the worst thing I've ever seen in TF2. It's like the antithesis of attack CTF, or the chocolate bar compared to the sandwich.
I am the 1%!

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:07 pm

Masakari wrote:Wait wait wait....people put pl_waste back in the rotation? WHY WOULD YOU PUT IN THE WORST POSSIBLE IMPLEMENTATION OF THAT MAP LAYOUT WHEN CP (Or even CTF for that matter) IS INFINITELY BETTER?!?
Masakari when people post things on the internet in all caps, it makes it seem like they're yelling. :hand:

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Supreveio » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:12 pm

TheCarpe wrote:As for a different map, don't know if anyone noticed or paid much mind to the Community Medieval Update the blog mentioned a while back, but the custom map it showcased looked rather fun and unique.
I think I recommended Morrigan Alley in another thread. Back then it was still in alpha, but it now appears to be in beta.

I wouldn't mind playing a few rounds, though I don't know how many people enjoy Medieval Mode here.
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:48 pm

I have always said that cp_waste is pretty awesome, pl_waste is a nice idea that just does not work.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius