Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

TV2 Custom Maps

Post by Stevo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:11 pm

This thread will maintain a current map rotation on TV2. You can also use this thread for suggestions relating to the map list. In order to keep things organized, please keep any discussions not directly related to maps in separate threads or private messages.

Use this thread for suggestions about:
  • Adding/updating maps (include link)
  • Removing maps
  • Changing settings for a particular map
All suggestions are considered, but not all can be implemented.

Current Mapcycle: http://www.theville.org/forums/viewtopi ... 75&t=13518
Last edited by Stevo on Thu May 06, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 44 times in total.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:16 pm

What's the cp map where the first point is a wooden building in a plain divided by a small canyon, and then the final point is in a castle with entry points on the left, through the middle canyon, and over the wall on the right? Whatever that one is, I like it.....am I crazy?

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:19 pm

[quote="Dirty Dan";p="190742"]
What's the cp map where the first point is a wooden building in a plain divided by a small canyon, and then the final point is in a castle with entry points on the left, through the middle canyon, and over the wall on the right? Whatever that one is, I like it.....am I crazy?
[/quote]cp_castle
It doesn't seem to get good feedback though.

Supreveio
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
Minecraft name: Supreveio
Blizzard tag: Supreveio#1728

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: TV2 Custom Maps

Post by Supreveio » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 pm

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=861059

Glacier_RC2. Now with more Viaduct lighting!

-- Changelog --

- Changed to a new skybox
- Reduced the snowflake density by 50%
- Reduced the amount of reflective surfaces at B
- Detailed more using Valve's snow assets
- Filesize reduced by 22%
- More playerclipping
- Improved a few textures
- Made it harder for BLU snipers to stand on the bridge near the tunnel
- Added explosions at C when BLU caps
- Made the light between the ice chunks at B more defined
"So what have you been up to, man? Haven't seen you in so long!"
"Ah, you know how it is. Doin' a lot of side projects, some consulting, maybe a little freelance... Those are words that people say when they haven't actually been doing anything, right?"

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Since we're in a new thread, here we go.

I updated the my map ratings matrix, which can now serve as a baseline for the next evaluation to see where opinion is moving.
You may download the document here via Google Docs and see the detail.

All of the maps I would indentify as 'well-rated' in the matrix are in, all of the maps that were tepid to disliked are out, except one, which is good. Unfortunately avantiville still rates quite poorly, but the spawn problems may have a lot to do with that and I hope will be fixed.

If you're interested the best rated maps (by % of positive ratings minus negative ratings as a percentage of votes) were:

Freight (final)
Observatory
Mill
Halfacre
Frontier
Furnace (b3)
Stovepipe
Desertfortress

Note the one map that hs generally negative reviews that is in the voting rotation is waste, but the CP version was the low-rated while we're going with the PL (which has no ratings because it was not in voting when the ratings system was implemented). I hope people like the PL version better as it seems to be popular with the people that care enough to post in the thread but surprised me with the level of negativity in it's ratings..

If I remember them, Casbah and Corporation were weak maps before but have not gotten enough ratings when they were run to matter, I'll be interested to see if they're more popular or not.

Of course, I have to say I am very saddened the last standard spawn time server has swapped to fast. I don't get people's distaste for playing the game the way it was designed.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Hatred over the choice of casbah3 can be directed at me - I did want to see at least an option for ctf maps, and since the dead ringer pretty much ruined mach4, I wanted to give something different a shot. This version of casbah keeps the traditional layout with a few changes, as well as making it a TF2-looking map. It did have good reception during the 10th Anniversary Celebrations, so I wanted to see it given at least a shot. Again, this is something new, and we'll have to see how it plays out.

Corporation is a classic map that has been around for a while (And members who have been around for a while should have fond memories of it), and it's really the only decent 6CP/3 stage custom around.
I am the 1%!

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:48 pm

TV2 needs to go back to stock respawn. It was voted in the Commons Room to be changed by fast respawn because most of the old TV2 players are no longer in guilds and were unable to vote and share their opinion on the matter.

It's nigh impossible to get an outside crowd going on TV2 because it runs only customs, which is why it's heavily dependent on the current small group it has now which is the old TV2 Seeders Group to get it filled. The Seeders, I've learned, no longer wish to seed the server but are more than willing to play on the server if it's already filled (or halfway filled). However, changing the spawn to fast will scare the only small group it has at the moment and they will flee to TV10, further emptying out TV2.

In terms of what maps to have for the server, it should be limited to mostly high quality maps, like what Blooper mentioned before. Maps like Mach4 and Toy Fort do not play well enough on the servers that they should be added to the list, especially since the common TV2 players don't like it.

With Blooper's help, I compiled a list and rotation (feel free to change this, this is not my strong suit) of maps that I strongly suggest you guys should consider and implement on the server.

pl_waste (!!)
cp_freight_final
cp_desertfortress
pl_halfacre
cp_observatory4
koth_harvest (%%)
pl_stovepipe_b3
ctf_badwater_b2 ##
cp_waste_final
cp_furnace_b4
cp_follower
koth_moonshine ##
ctf_timbertown_b1c ##
cp_indulge_b3 ##

## These are new maps that should be tested on the server for a week or two to see how well they play out. I looked at CTF_BADWATER and it's not just Badwater copied directly with intels thrown on, it has some changes that makes it different and CTF compatible now (symmetry, for one), so checking that out wouldn't be a bad idea since there are few good CTF maps out there to begin with.
(!!) Due to popular demand, PL_WASTE should be re-added, but it would have to be kept far away from its 5CP counterpart on the rotation. Unless it becomes extremely popular, it should only stay on the rotation for a month or two.
(%%) Since not many people like arena but they did like Harvest and they're very fond of King of the Hill, I say KOTH_HARVEST should be a permanant addition to the server.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm

I think it's better for the old TV2 crowd to move to TVX, infy.

I dislike fast respawn times so I'm moving away from TV2 and move to TV14 and TVX. I think it's time we revived what community was just sprouting there anyways.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Please keep this about TV2 maps.

Keep in mind that we are trying to cater to the general Ville public, and not a small group. Especially if that group no longer wishes to help seed the server. The suggestions that will be implemented are those that suit the best interests of the entire community.

Thanks for the map suggestions, and thanks Plinko for that analysis. :)

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:25 pm

I had no idea there were such strong feelings about TV2...not knowing the complete history of it, I humbly offer a few thoughts:

-As noted in my sig I'm happy to get involved seeding TV2, with whatever settings, I like customs.

-I agree with infusions that the core of a custom map server should be established, high quality maps, with the addition of several new/unfamilar maps for the community to try. I think that most effectively builds a reliable group of regulars.

-If a group of regulars isn't willing to seed anymore, then why cater to their desires? I don't mean to bash said people at all, just trying to be helpful and understand the situation.

Infusions
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Infusions » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:35 pm

[quote="Dirty Dan";p="190755"]-If a group of regulars isn't willing to seed anymore, then why cater to their desires? I don't mean to bash said people at all, just trying to be helpful and understand the situation.
[/quote]

Because seeding is different from playing. Many players would rather just be in the mood for a game, be able to open their server list and see their server already near filled and join; not sit around for a half hour or so waiting for it to be filled and then play.

While it's kind of people to seed, when people do it for a long time, they do get tired of it; it's like going to a store everyday and always having to stand in line for long periods of time.

It was especially hard for TV2 because it runs customs. If you look on your server list right now, excluding maps like Orange_X, you will find very few servers running customs. They're not that popular. I remember at times sitting on the server for hours and only getting up to 15 or so people.

It's easier on a 24/7 Dustbowl server or a stock rotation server because players are always looking for a stock map to play on, especially a popular one.

Trying to appeal to the general Ville public would create a conflict of interests between the old TV2 group and the Ville public. Most TV2 players, as far as I know, like stock spawn while everyone else enjoys fast spawn. At this point, it might not be such a bad idea to leave fast spawn on as long as it's guarenteed to get more Villuns to play on the server. However, that would mean TV10 would need to be changed to stock spawn because it would be rude to change a server and take it away from the usual TV2 players, especially since they already had a server taken away from them prior to that.

But trying to change it to fast spawn and expecting the same people to come around as often would be like changing a 24/7 Badlands server to 2fort and expecting the same people to show up.
[url=http://lolschach.blogspot.com/][img]http://g.imagehost.org/0572/LOL_6.png[/img][/url]

fruitman
Villun
Villun
Loading…

Post by fruitman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:42 pm

[quote="Stevo";p="190753"]Keep in mind that we are trying to cater to the general Ville public, and not a small group. Especially if that group no longer wishes to help seed the server. The suggestions that will be implemented are those that suit the best interests of the entire community.[/quote]

Then why keep the spawn poll in only The Common Room? Not all of us Villans have access to it.
[img]http://f.imagehost.org/0295/184.png[/img]

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:44 pm

TVX has stock spawn times right now and it has TV1's rotation.

So it's basically the old TV1 right now.

Instead of fighting over TV2 I think it's better just for us to move to that server since it's dead right now and could use a community to support. A lot of old TV2 players don't play on TV2 anymore because they want to play stock maps too and since one of our main customs cp_yukon is now an official map, I think it's better for everyone if everyone who likes stock respawn times to move to TVX/TV14 and let stevo go through with these changes.

Either way, let's just drop the subject right now and just talk about how what maps should be added to TV2.

If you want a full history behind this TV2 issue feel free to PM me.

Masakari
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Masakari » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

REMINDER:

Use this thread for suggestions about:
  • Adding/updating maps (include link)
  • Removing maps
  • Changing settings for a particular map
All suggestions are considered, but not all can be implemented. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Stevo, Masakari, John Doe, or SilverOne. :)

Any of us will be happy to deal with any comments, concerns, questions, or any non-map related issues with TV2.
Last edited by Masakari on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the 1%!

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:03 pm

Can I just say that I think pl_outback is terribad?
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.