For discussions on the organization of the custom maps server TV2

Moderator: Server Ops

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Re: TV2 Custom Maps

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:09 pm

I still think we should add pl_cashworks.

Why?

Well I'm not a fan of it but it seems to be very popular.

How can I tell? There's currently a vote for the next community map that's being made official and well:
The Votes so far
pl_cashworks: 203

cp_glacier: 131
pl_frontier: 100

cp_freight: 72
pl_swiftwater: 62

cp_furnace: 40
tc_meridian: 39
ctf_aurora: 37
cp_warpath: 37
pl_waste: 34
koth_lighthouse: 31

cp_gullywash: 27
ctf_convoy: 23

cp_waste: 19
ctf_aerospace: 19
cp_follower: 14
arena_harvest: 12
pl_mill: 11
cp_redfort: 11
cp_observatory: 10

cp_labor: 9
pl_greatheights: 8
pl_dbheights: 7
ctf_moonbase: 5
koth_harvest: 5
arena_lighthouse: 5

cp_boulder: 4
arena_waste: 4
koth_waste: 4
cp_dust: 4
pl_cranetop: 4
pl_dustbowl: 3
ctf_barn: 3
ctf_happyfarm: 3
ctf_vikings: 3
koth_moonshine: 3
ctf_steamroll: 2
cp_oilfield: 2
cp_sawblades: 2
pl_repository: 2
cp_roswell: 2
cp_stark: 2
ctf_premuda: 2
cp_wolf: 1
cp_mudbath: 1
dom_canalzone: 1
cp_broma: 1
koth_garbageday: 1
koth_2fort: 1

And 7 votes for Zombie Fortress, 3 votes for tr_walkway, 2 for prophunt and 4 for Ballon Race
I guess you could say it has a bit of a following....

Bronze Fox
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Bronze Fox » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:54 pm

[quote="Flobee";p="190763"]Can I just say that I think pl_outback is terribad?[/quote]

It was good until the final point.
Bad map.

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

[quote="Flobee";p="190763"]Can I just say that I think pl_outback is terribad?[/quote]

Not a huge fan either
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:22 pm

I also do not like outback.... and there's something wrong when me and Jim actually agree on something..

black_and_blue
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by black_and_blue » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:39 pm

[quote="Guardian";p="190764"]I still think we should add pl_cashworks.[/quote]

I agree. I also vote very strongly in favour of pl_waste_b4.

Guardian
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Post by Guardian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:45 pm

[quote="black_and_blue";p="190805"][quote="Guardian";p="190764"]I still think we should add pl_cashworks.[/quote]

I agree. I also vote very strongly in favour of pl_waste_b4.[/quote]

[quote="Stevo";p="190738"]
Maps Available for Voting:
pl_waste_b4
[/quote]

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Adding:
pl_cashworks_rc2

Updating:
cp_glacier_rc2

Flobee
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Post by Flobee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:11 pm

Why does the map have to change after just 3 rounds? Sometimes the map ends with a good 20 minutes left. I figure it's probably to prevent emptying the server when a stacked team just rolls the other team over and over for 30 minutes, but it's kind of disappointing to see maps I really like (Freight) be over so quick.

Also, on the topic of stacked teams - Why are the teams ALWAYS unbalanced on TV2? I never see any good games. Just one team smashing the other. It's kind of depressing.
where doing this man.
where MAKING THIS HAPEN.

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="Flobee";p="191224"]Why does the map have to change after just 3 rounds? Sometimes the map ends with a good 20 minutes left. I figure it's probably to prevent emptying the server when a stacked team just rolls the other team over and over for 30 minutes, but it's kind of disappointing to see maps I really like (Freight) be over so quick.

Also, on the topic of stacked teams - Why are the teams ALWAYS unbalanced on TV2? I never see any good games. Just one team smashing the other. It's kind of depressing.[/quote]

It does seem the way doesn't it? Hmmm. I guess the quality of games tends to be lower on maps people aren't familiar with, but that's kind of a stretch as to why there'd be a lack of balance. Tonight though, it just seemed like there was no defense, so the offense just rolled.

Stevo
Everlasting Villun
Everlasting Villun
Minecraft name: StevoTVR
Uplay name: StevoTVR

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Stevo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 pm

What would be a good round limit? We can set it globally or per map. :)

And, yes there did seem to be some stacking going on tonight...

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:31 am

[quote="Flobee";p="191224"]
Also, on the topic of stacked teams - Why are the teams ALWAYS unbalanced on TV2? I never see any good games. Just one team smashing the other. It's kind of depressing.
[/quote]

Are we still on stock spawns on TV2 or has it been changed (I haven't played since this weekend)? I've noticed that a lot of villuns have been giving it a try that have not before and it means a lot of people who don't know the maps as well and also are not used to standard spawns - that lends itself to some unbalanced play but without an obviously different blance of players on each side. The game is really very different with stock spawns and it can take a bit to adjust.

Also, if you're seeing some serious rolling going on, please do consider changing if you can from the team doing the rolling.

I suggested a generic rule of 4 round limits on maps that change sides and 3 for maps that do not in B&B's thread already - I think that should work for TV2 as well.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

MMX
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by MMX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 am

I would try to keep the time played on a custom map "as short" as possible. Which means one forth and one back round. In case a quarter or more dislikes a map they would get a new map pretty soon and would not be stuck on a map they dislike.

Also it keeps the server rotating. There will be something new every now and then.

If you want to play a custom map for longer time of period it might be better to run it on a different server with different settings. But for now to get a stable setup i'd suggest to keep the time played on a map to a minimum and not to extend the map / round time. (we would have to check the maps if they do perform well on the limits)

Also a map time of 30 minutes or even less might be a good idea.

Maybe we should start a different thread to determine the time you would spend on a map that you dislike before you would move on. That way we might find a value that might bring back the server to a stable state.
[img]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/monorail_sig.jpg[/img]
- [url=http://tinyurl.com/ykkat36]Mechanical Mathematics Xenomorph[/url]
- local time zone: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_European_Time]CET[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+1), [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time]DST[/url]: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEST]CEST[/url] ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time]UTC[/url]+2)
- Signatures: [url=http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/StevoTVR/dodcup08/vov_sig_mmx.png]TheVille DoD Cup '08[/url]

Plinko
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Plinko » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:44 am

I understand your point, MMX, but there is another consideration that custom maps take 5+ minutes to download, so people will have a very short window to try them, short cycles have a negative impact on player experience if people are always downloading maps, on top of the issue of people whose PCs take a while to load a map. By the time the map runs, you've only begun to get a feel for it and then you're in the cycle again.

We should be (and are as far as I can tell!) working to eliminate bad maps as quickly as possible and run only maps that are generally fairly enjoyable to the majority of those who join.
"I made all my gold into pants" - Ignatius

Zwiffle
Villun
Villun

Post by Zwiffle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:56 pm

If outback hasn't been updated yet it should be soon with a much closer, more balanced last point. I hear the new version of glacier is good.

As for balanced teams, if I'm on the winning team whenever I try to join the losing team its generally got the same number of people or 1 more, so I can't switch. But I try to balance teams, honest!

Dirty Dan
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Dirty Dan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 pm

[quote="Plinko";p="191318"]I understand your point, MMX, but there is another consideration that custom maps take 5+ minutes to download, so people will have a very short window to try them, short cycles have a negative impact on player experience if people are always downloading maps, on top of the issue of people whose PCs take a while to load a map. By the time the map runs, you've only begun to get a feel for it and then you're in the cycle again.

We should be (and are as far as I can tell!) working to eliminate bad maps as quickly as possible and run only maps that are generally fairly enjoyable to the majority of those who join.[/quote]

Agree with this. When it's too short you cant really get in a groove and fix what went wrong on the last offense/defense, fix stacked teams, ect. If one team just rolls the other, it's not fun to change maps after 5-10 mins. I dont think it should be eternal, either, but it should be more than once each on offense and defense I think. I think the best solution is having a core of popular maps with a couple unfamiliar maps as a trial.