Download for free: http://store.steampowered.com/app/17510/
SilverOne
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

AoC Maps

Post by SilverOne » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:02 am

Its time we take a look at this server and try to get more players on it. Thanks to those who have posted suggestions, comments and those who join Medieval Mornings.

Lets start with the maps.

Currently these are the maps in the rotation and the order. Reading some of the comments on sorrow and monastery, i'm about to remove both for now. Any suggestions? Should we cut the rotation down to the top 4? Or do you guys feel its good having a full rotation?

aoc_theshore
aoc_darkforest
aoc_stoneshill
aoc_siege
aoc_valley
aoc_helms_deep
aoc_battleground
aoc_sorrow
aoc_monastery
aoc_westerlyn

Also I need to get opinions on how the maps flow into each other. We Maybe need to change the order.

Thanks for your thoughts!
STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE ~Blue Ruler
Silver is Cheezylicious ~MErf
I bleed ville purple.

Fletch
Villun
Villun

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Re: AoC Maps

Post by Fletch » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 am

Being not as familiar with some of the maps I cant really give an opinion on sorrow and monastery....But I think the full rotation with as many maps that are playable is a good thing limiting to just 4 could get old quick.....As far as how they are set up..I think swapping between objective based and arena/kill 'em all( i don't know what they are called) maps is a good way to go...If Monistary is the one where you have to take the tower and steal the crown and all that jazz I think the reason the map doesn't do well is because most don't know what the objectives are.

There's my 2 cents worth 8)

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin
Blizzard tag: altabiscuit#1164

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by abiscuit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Right now I think the rotation is fine until you get to Sorrow, Monastery, Westerlyn. Sorrow isn't a bad map in itself, but it causes performance problems for many. Monastery is a fairly complicated map and most of the time people wonder around trying to figure out what to do. Westerlyn isn't a good map and most people will agree with me on this.

The other seven maps are good or popular enough to keep.

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Ill agree with butters I guess cause i dont know the names but he does so its ok.
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by abiscuit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Just for reference.

Sorrow is the map where there's a lot of lighting effects and eventually ends with Agathia destroying a dragon statue and bringing a flag to the top.

Monastery is where the Masons try to capture the manu.script, gold cross, and crown by bringing them back to the three ships. They can also capture the two bell towers to advance their spawn..

Westerlyn has three captures points, the middle one being the town square. Once the Masons have control they start hanging peasants.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:26 pm

I would like to thank Silver for providing the excellent server, and to all the villuns playing AoC. You rock! :hb:

I'm going to prepare a detailed review of the maps at some point, but the three new maps seem to be the most unpopular.
[img]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/pootleshooter/kpsdow.gif[/img]

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 pm

aoc_theshore
map type: attack/defend objective
pros: fairly easy for new folks to understand, beheading peasants on chopping block is cool, can earn a few humorous quickie achievements (i.e. animal abuser)
cons: none that I can think of really

aoc_darkforest
pros: appears to be fairly popular with the masses, killing peasants again
cons: red can be spawncamped fairly easily by catapults (including their own) during second part of map

aoc_stoneshill
pros: appears to be fairly popular with the masses, killing a horse this time
cons: some opportunities to spawn camp both sides, new folks on blue have difficulty finding the bridge boards and horse

aoc_siege
pros: has a couple of achievements (shooting the trebuchet, rescuing the prince), dumping burning oil on the attackers is kinda cool
cons: can be very difficult for blue to win the map with an unfamiliar team

aoc_valley
map type: team deathmatch
pros: seems to be a good one when filling the server, new players can concentrate on learning attacking/blocking without objectives, ballistas are fun
cons: deathmatch gameplay is boring for experienced players, ballistas can be brutal in skilled hands, both sides are easily spawncamped, can be an "archer fest" depending on who is playing

aoc_helms_deep
pros: based on the Lord of the Rings :hb:, has a map achievement
cons: multiple objectives can be confusing to new players (which have to be done in order), blue is pretty much doomed once castle is breached

aoc_battleground
pros: seems to be fairly popular with the masses
cons: blue is easily spawncamped, red catapult spam, can be an "archer fest" depending on who is playing

Tarrock
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tarrock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Well any map can turn into an archer fest.
Think we need to put a cap of 5 range units(combination of longbows, crossbows, and javs) at a time if that's possible.

Also DOW you seem to have missed 3.

aoc_monastary
pros: none
cons: The objectives are all over the map. 99% of the time neither team knows where to go and if someone on red knows where to go, they usually don't have to put up much of a fight to grab the objectives. Also Blue's Second floor spawn is too far away from a way to get down.

just wanted to do that lol.

Anyways here's a chart I made of westerlyn of it's flaws and such that I'll explain.
*not drawn to scale*
The red and blue dots are where the red and blue teams spawn. The teal, brown, and yellow buildings are the red's objectives to capture. As you can see red starts out right next to 1 (blacksmith). That leaves 2 objectives. Now that purple dot in middle is a neutral spawn, red gets it if they cap the center, and blue gets it if they recap the center. This creates the first problem.

It's in blue's best intrest to have like 1 red guy cap the center so it moves up the spawn. Once the spawn moves up and blue and red both have equal skill, or if blue is better, then the rest of the game is spent fighting inside of the red tunnel which is a massive chokepoint.

Now if red happens to capture and keep ahold of the town square till all blues are dead in the area. Then they've pretty much won the game. Then the chokepoint becomes the blue tunnel. Now if you look at the blue tunnel, there's a 'T' interection. Only people inside the tunnel can go out of the left side of the T(arrow), and when they do they can capture the Inn(brown) with little to no resistance.

Then all red has to do is keep em in that blue chokepoint tunnel till all the peasants are hung, which is extremely easy.

The tunnels pretty much break the map. See the above happen every game I've ever played on it.
[img]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s335/TopHatDesign/demoteam3Tarrock.png[/img]

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:33 pm

[quote="Tarrock";p="167686"]Also DOW you seem to have missed 3.
[/quote]

That was intentional. I was toying with idea reviewing them, but the main thing is that sorrow is plagued with technical problems and the other two make people drop.

I like westerlyn and monastery, but apparently I belong to a small minority.

I really tried to review those maps objectively instead of just pumping up my favorites.

The "archer fest" is just a common complaint I have to listen to when playing those maps. I don't subscribe to it as I think someone should be able to play whatever class they want. Sometimes you play on a losing team for whatever reasons. Big deal.

SilverOne
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by SilverOne » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 pm

For the time being I took out westerlyn, monastary and sorrow. Admins, etc can get those played.

The rotation looks like..

aoc_theshore
aoc_darkforest
aoc_stoneshill
aoc_siege
aoc_valley
aoc_helms_deep
aoc_battleground

these are not in the rotation.. Should any of these be added? I can't remember but I thought one of them were broken.

aoc_invasion - This one is broken I believe.
aoc_firecrag
aoc_tournament
aoc_tombs
Last edited by SilverOne on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STOP FLAPPIN' THE YAP AND WATCH THE LANGUAGE ~Blue Ruler
Silver is Cheezylicious ~MErf
I bleed ville purple.

abiscuit
Server Admin
Server Admin

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by abiscuit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Firecrag if I remember right is that volcano ctf map that was a large map and very dark. I didn't like it.

I haven't seen tournament, tombs, or invasion.

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Invasion looks like it could be fun but it's broken. :(

jim beam
TVR Leadership
TVR Leadership

Games Played

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by jim beam » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Which is the one where you have to get the flag up then blow then build the bridge and blow up the game and the map is over. Has the castle with the 2 catapolts on it. The blue team has teh 3 catapolts maybe 4 on the high ground? I like that map
Founder and Overlord of the IBG nation

DeafOfficeWorker
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by DeafOfficeWorker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="jim beam";p="167768"]Which is the one where you have to get the flag up then blow then build the bridge and blow up the game and the map is over. Has the castle with the 2 catapolts on it. The blue team has teh 3 catapolts maybe 4 on the high ground? I like that map[/quote]

aoc_battleground

Tarrock
Villun
Villun

Ville Awards

Loading…

Post by Tarrock » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:05 pm

firecraig needs to stay off, it's the one where you gotta capture the flag, and the middle zone is too freaken huge.

Is tombs that deathmatch one where the platforms lower into lava? that one was good.

tournaments the really bad deathmatch one I think. You can only spawn once and gotta kill the entire team.
That map killed the server once.
[img]http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s335/TopHatDesign/demoteam3Tarrock.png[/img]